Forthcoming releases surround formats (new solo, new Nosound, reissue Memories Of Machines)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
February 25, mark your calendars:
1639410387391.png

https://burningshed.com/tim-bowness_giancarlo-erra_memories-of-machines_cd_dvd

Hello everyone

I hope you're all good. I'm writing because during the last year I decided instead of doing streaming gigs to prepare for more studio releases. And now it's the time these will be announced, and I'm considering my options for surround.

Now I know it will be impossible to make everyone happy, but I need some compromise so I'm asking directly to you guys. Best disc format for quality is BluRay, but they are expensive for these releases and so not really an option unless we raise the price a lot (not something I like to do). DVDs are a thing of the past in many ways, in particular in terms of final quality, software for authoring and encoding, it becomes really painful to keep old computers around, and their quality is anyway not good (and DVD-As are more and more rare).

Also I think nowadays we all have players able to read digital files, and I do like the idea of one less piece of plastic on our Planet, considering that is not even beautiful as a vinyl as an object.

I considered dvd-v with DTS9624 and PCM stereo but once again is a compromise on quality, more cost and more plastic. So to make it short, I keep going back to what I think is the best solution to offer a good product with good quality, practical and at good cost: a download FLAC with surround and stereo 24/96, possibly as an optional addon on top of the single cd and the vinyl.

What do you think? I'm sure some of you prefer a disc, some a dvd or others a bluray or dvda, but I'm more interested into knowing how many really could not play it (or would not buy it) if it was a download...or maybe how many agree that FLAC is the best and more straightforward solution, allowing to keep production costs down (and so final price), and spend the work/time on the actual mixes to make them great :)

This is a choice I'll apply probably to my new solo album, and to the reissue of the project with Tim Bowness that was called Memories Of Machines and now will be reissued under our own names and with the original mixes/productions/edits that I did at the time and revisited today plus two extra tracks...and then later on to the new Nosound that is in the pipline
Hello everyone

I hope you're all good. I'm writing because during the last year I decided instead of doing streaming gigs to prepare for more studio releases. And now it's the time these will be announced, and I'm considering my options for surround.

Now I know it will be impossible to make everyone happy, but I need some compromise so I'm asking directly to you guys. Best disc format for quality is BluRay, but they are expensive for these releases and so not really an option unless we raise the price a lot (not something I like to do). DVDs are a thing of the past in many ways, in particular in terms of final quality, software for authoring and encoding, it becomes really painful to keep old computers around, and their quality is anyway not good (and DVD-As are more and more rare).

Also I think nowadays we all have players able to read digital files, and I do like the idea of one less piece of plastic on our Planet, considering that is not even beautiful as a vinyl as an object.

I considered dvd-v with DTS9624 and PCM stereo but once again is a compromise on quality, more cost and more plastic. So to make it short, I keep going back to what I think is the best solution to offer a good product with good quality, practical and at good cost: a download FLAC with surround and stereo 24/96, possibly as an optional addon on top of the single cd and the vinyl.

What do you think? I'm sure some of you prefer a disc, some a dvd or others a bluray or dvda, but I'm more interested into knowing how many really could not play it (or would not buy it) if it was a download...or maybe how many agree that FLAC is the best and more straightforward solution, allowing to keep production costs down (and so final price), and spend the work/time on the actual mixes to make them great :)

This is a choice I'll apply probably to my new solo album, and to the reissue of the project with Tim Bowness that was called Memories Of Machines and now will be reissued under our own names and with the original mixes/productions/edits that I did at the time and revisited today plus two extra tracks...and then later on to the new Nosound that is in the pipline after these two.

Let me know your thoughts!
I won't buy a download. I'd only go disc-based. I vote for SACD, but I assume it isn't an option, since you didn't mention it. In that case, either BD-A, or DVD-V with DTS 96/24.

Last edited:
Back