Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well not Dolby but ;

Spaitilizer and maybe Circle Surround.

Oscar Peterson , on Telarc.

View attachment 73208
I really like Oscar Peterson (something I inherited from my father). There appears to be 2 versions of this CD from Telarc on amazon.co.uk, an EU one (circa 1999?) which doesn't mention Surround and a USA one (2006?) with it on the cover, are they really the same?

@DuncanS

Here's one more featuring Oscar , at his own Tribute in NYC . Some fine Jazz Players on hand.

20211105_183947.jpg

Nope Dunc,

They should be the same encodes. FWIW my copy is 1999 . And the liner notes do not specify what the surround encode is.

Ordered (y) The SM2 will do a good job decoding whatever it is.
@DuncanS

Here's one more featuring Oscar , at his own Tribute in NYC . Some fine Jazz Players on hand.

*View attachment 73249
I found another Telarc stereo only recording "Saturday Night At The Blue Note" which I added to get free shipping from amazon.

I think that Telarc made some of the best recordings ever produced. I have been collecting them for ages and have lost count of how many Telarc CDs I have. I also think that most of their CDs were in some type of Surround encoding even when it was not told in the CD notes.

Yes I agree . They sent me a CD check list years ago, with some (but not all) of the known surround disc's indicated,
and I also read somewheres that they used a quad matrix (either QS or SQ) on 1 (or 2 )recordings very early on. That would've been their first surround recording to be sure.
They certainly gave surround in many formats some serious consideration on their cd's. Also they went full force with a number of......DTS CD'S , SACD , and DVD-A .
One of the few labels that grasped the surround audiophiles attention.

Yes I agree . They sent me a CD check list years ago, with some (but not all) of the known surround disc's indicated,
and I also read somewheres that they used a quad matrix (either QS or SQ) on 1 (or 2 )recordings very early on. That would've been their first surround recording to be sure.
They certainly gave surround in many formats some serious consideration on their cd's. Also they went full force with a number of......DTS CD'S , SACD , and DVD-A .
One of the few labels that grasped the surround audiophiles attention.
Not sure if you know about the Telarc Youtube channel. There are quite a few interesting interviews with recording engineer Bob Woods. So interesting how they would experiment almost non-stop to get the best results for recordings. Here is the link to their channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_lkAL5ACrwXLJM7eLYXbUA/featured

View attachment 74602View attachment 74603View attachment 74604View attachment 74605

Say Brent ,

Did you manage to get these two Sampler Disc's?

Disc # 1 uses 4 types of Surround Encode or enhancement. Dolby Surround , Shure HTS , Circle Surround , and Spatializer. (Pro- Spatializer)

Whereas Disc # 2 uses both Pro-Spatializer and Circle Surround. AND It would seem for all tracks.

✨✨✨✨ . ✨
Out of all of the Telarc CDs I have I don't have these two!!! I quite few of the Surround Samplers but these two have evaded me. I will have to try to find them. Thank you for the heads up and for the pictures and such. Interesting reading about the different Surround Encode they used. I know on a lot of the Surround of Telarc I have most are Spatializer. I have a good bit of early LaserDisc that used Circle Surround. They even did the Channel Check at the end of the disc.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Telarc Firebird Notes (1).pdf
    958.9 KB · Views: 116
Bought all the early Telarcs on vinyl. Later on CD & SACD.

Also bought a variety of Telarc Dolby Surround titles. Classical, blues, jazz, PDQ Bach, Wendy Carlos & lots more.

Bought all those Tomita US & Japanese CD-4's, Dolby Surround and SACD's. RCA Dolby Surround CD's of classical, Mancini, soundtracks, etc.

Lots of great music surrounding you.

In the pre internet days Telarc had a newsletter. They reprinted this page in Audio magazine and it got saved by my pal and I.

They recommended their Firebird Suite CD which they said they used as a reference to check out whatever mobile control rooms they were setting up on location.

Here is their notes on the subject.

https://www.discogs.com/release/721...ra-And-Chorus-The-Firebird-Music-From-Prince-

Bob Woods talks about this, too, in one of the YouTube videos that Brent linked to. I remember eagerly anticipating the release of the Atlanta/Shaw Firebird after reading about it in all the audio magazines for 18 months or so in advance, and then getting it the week of its release and being duly floored by its clarity and dynamic range, even on my parents' low-end Pioneer stereo. Still one of my most prized LPs.

Telarc superfan Teresa Goodwin used to have a blog devoted to Telarc; sadly it's gone. Here's her comprehensive "Roundup" of the Telarc catalog for Positive Feedback, though:
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue51/telarc.htm
And here's a brief interview with the late, great Michael Bishop about his approach to orchestral recording:
https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/michael-bishop-orchestra/

Last edited:
In the pre internet days Telarc had a newsletter. They reprinted this page in Audio magazine and it got saved by my pal and I.

They recommended their Firebird Suite CD which they said they used as a reference to check out whatever mobile control rooms they were setting up on location.

Here is their notes on the subject.

https://www.discogs.com/release/721...ra-And-Chorus-The-Firebird-Music-From-Prince-

Thanks for this! So interesting.

In one of the interviews Bob Woods talks about how Orchestra Members from symphonies around the world would say that NO other recording company ever captured what they really sounded like, but Telarc did. Woods also talks about how dead the sound was on recordings in Atlanta Symphony Hall and they decided to try and use plywood to cover the lower level of audience seats in the hall for recordings. It did the trick! What Dedication! He stated that the Directors nor the Musicians would mind them experimenting because they knew the outcome would be fantastic.

As I have stated here , and other places too, frequently, "ah LUVS mah Telarcs!";)
In honor of this thread I went to my Surround CD section and checked and I have no Telarc Surrounds.:cry: If anybody has dupes in their collection they would like to sell let me know. When I prowl half price books and vintage stock, I normally grab any Telarcs I find unless they are certain composers that I just know I will not listen to. These are very few. Or if the price is too high.

What I liked about Telarc CD's and Telarc in general ,is that they kind of kept surround alive. And their disc's were superior to most others. Audiophile quality.
And they experimented with a variety of surround formats for actual consumer releases.
Besides the surround formats I mentioned previously , Steve Reid 's disc utilizes the "Roland Sound Space System" a Surround based system .(page 2 of the cd)
16403096610827196466147583426687.jpg

Bought all the early Telarcs on vinyl. Later on CD & SACD.

Also bought a variety of Telarc Dolby Surround titles. Classical, blues, jazz, PDQ Bach, Wendy Carlos & lots more.

Bought all those Tomita US & Japanese CD-4's, Dolby Surround and SACD's. RCA Dolby Surround CD's of classical, Mancini, soundtracks, etc.

Lots of great music surrounding you.

Yep Q Linda , I have to catch up with more of their Jazzone and Blues CD'S . Also the few that were available on DTS CD .
Like an idiot I sold off my 2 Junior Wells albums "Come On In This House" and "Best Of" .(both were Circle Surround)

Back