Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is now here in Atmos. Too late to listen, unfortunately.
Will it be less dynamically crushed than the CD version?
https://music.apple.com/es/album/back-to-black/1422677780?lsOn headphones it sounds a bit harsh...

Listening to this in 5.1 on Tidal. There’s nothing in the center channel. ???

thinking something is screwy with my account since I had to start up a new Amazon profile which has messed with all my subscriptions through my Firestick. Ahh—technology!

Last edited:
This is really good! Jim Carrey as the voice of the DJ. Interesting concept.

like Tony Peluso on the Carpenters Now & Then?

yup, never been done??

perhaps an homage, perhaps a nod, perhaps an ignorant outright blatant theft steal??

the point is, give credit where credit is due

yup, never been done??

perhaps an homage, perhaps a nod, perhaps an ignorant outright blatant theft steal??

Or perhaps someone else came up with the same idea 45 years later who never listened to the Carpenters’ album? :unsure:

Or perhaps someone else came up with the same idea 45 years later who never listened to the Carpenters’ album? :unsure:

but I would never give credence or credit to anyone who hasn't listened to all the Carpenters albums. This isn't a given?

step one, first day, like kindergarten? I mean, if you're gonna call yourself any kind of musician, singer?

yup, never been done??

I’m not sure what you mean. Did someone claim it to be an original idea? I’m not familiar with the Carpenters album but I know Roger Waters did something similar on Radio KAOS. I’m sure there are must be other examples as well.

Didn’t Wolfman Jack do something similar on the American Graffiti soundtrack album a couple of years before? I hope the Carpenters gave credit where credit was due ;)

Interesting concept.
I’m not sure what you mean. Did someone claim it to be an original idea? I’m not familiar with the Carpenters album but I know Roger Waters did something similar on Radio KAOS. I’m sure there are must be other examples as well.

Whats does concept mean?
1 : something conceived in the mind : thought, notion. 2 : an abstract or generic idea generalized from particular instances the basic concepts of psychology the concept of gravity.
Concept Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster Definition of CONCEPT

It's not conceived in someone's mind if it has already been conceived in someone else's mind and published before because the standing argument is that the initial "seed" has "influenced" the current concept, so it's a derivation at best, which is not copyrightable.

Do you not understand the concept of Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks?

Last edited:
Didn’t Wolfman Jack do something similar on the American Graffiti soundtrack album a couple of years before? I hope the Carpenters gave credit where credit was due ;)

but the Wolfman was an actual DJ?

everyone else in this thread are Band Members or outsiders

isn't that the difference?

It's not conceived in someone's mind if it has already been conceived in someone else's mind and published before because the standing argument is that the initial "seed" has "influenced" the current concept, so it's a derivation at best, which is not copyrightable.

I understand copyrights. Do the Carpenters own a copyright for the idea of having a DJ on an album? If so, then by all means they should be credited, to the extent the law allows or requires. I was only saying it was interesting, regardless of who first came up with the idea. Plus the music is good.

Yeah. It doesn’t work that way. You can’t copyright the idea of having a fake DJ on a album.

Listening to this in 5.1 on Tidal. There’s nothing in the center channel. ???

thinking something is screwy with my account since I had to start up a new Amazon profile which has messed with all my subscriptions through my Firestick. Ahh—technology!
https://music.apple.com/us/album/back-to-black/1422677780No center (though the "phantom" is strong) in Apple Music for me either. My personal theory is that these spatial mixes with nothing or very little in the center are targeting headphones, but I am just speculating. And it's not so easy for me to tell by ear.
This is a Genelec thing, not VU meters but it's something.
1641755487870.png

https://music.apple.com/us/album/back-to-black/1422677780No center (though the "phantom" is strong) in Apple Music for me either. My personal theory is that these spatial mixes with nothing or very little in the center are targeting headphones, but I am just speculating. And it's not so easy for me to tell by ear.
View attachment 75094
You could be right but I’ve never noticed this before with other tracks. And it was the same thing with Weeknd album. So I think something is funky with my setup or subscription. I had an issue with my Amazon account getting hacked and I decided to just close it and open a new one without realizing how much of a hassle it would be with all my app subscriptions.

View attachment 75094
Hmmm yeah spending more time with it, older mixes seem to be fine. But most of the latest released pop stuff has no center channel at all. Strange.

Reactions: mkt
Back