Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all,
‘I have the Sony Blu-Ray player set up to rip SACD’s and have ripped about 100 of them successfully over a period of 10 months. I tried to rip my new copy of Son of Schmilsson disc and got the xxx.xxx.x.xxx error. I thought it was a software issue at first, but decided to check the sony unit again. What I found was the Sony changed its network connection to a different ip from the reserved one I had set up. After I set up the new ip in the software, success! Just wanted to post this in case it happens to anyone else here.

Last edited:
Morning all,
‘I have the Sony Blu-Ray player set up to rip SACD’s and have ripped about 100 of them successfully over a period of 10 months. I tried to rip my new copy of Son of Schmilsson disc and got the xxx.xxx.x.xxx error. I thought it was a software issue at first, but decided to check the sony unit again. What I found was the Sony changed its network connection to a different ip from the reserved one I had set up. After I set up the new ip in the software, success! Just wanted to post thin in case it happens to anyone else here.

I'm glad that you figured out the problem yourself. I think that everyone who's been ripping discs eventually runs into that issue. So this is good information. There is a neat little app (among others) called "Fing" that will tell you the IP addresses of all devices seen by your router.

Took 90 minutes instead of the usual 25 minutes to rip however.
I'm glad this is now sorted, however there is no reason that AutoRip should take 90 minutes, and using an NTFS formatted drive will not cause that to happen, there isn't any material difference in rip time caused by the use of NTFS formatting.
The only thing that would slow the rip like that is use of a different flash drive with a painfully slow USB controller chip/firmware, and those do exist, I have a couple. One of my slow pokes is even USB3, but its write speed is like watching paint dry.

I'm glad that you figured out the problem yourself. I think that everyone who's been ripping discs eventually runs into that issue. So this is good information. There is a neat little app (among others) called "Fing" that will tell you the IP addresses of all devices seen by your router.
Thanks for the info! My Linksys router gives me all the ip’s connected but on many in the description it doesn’t say what they are!🤬

If you pick up a larger usb stick I bet the ntfs performance is better. I have some smaller usb drives that are dogs when going from fat32 to ntfs.
USB 3 is really the key if your usb port supports it.
I know, fat32 for multiple small files and ntfs for big fat ones but not all usb drives work to spec in the real world.
The real speed bottleneck is the optical drive, but the players all have USB2 ports so a USB3 flash drive doesn't help per se, unless it just has a better/faster controller chip/firmware on it.

I am a dolt when it comes to computers but thanks to the smart and kind people here I ripped my first disk today! Like many, the root file on the USB stick tripped me up initially but once past that smooth sailing. Thanks again!
Welcome to the forum, Jim! Very happy to see that your first post tells us of your success with ripping an SACD.

I am a dolt when it comes to computers but thanks to the smart and kind people here I ripped my first disk today! Like many, the root file on the USB stick tripped me up initially but once past that smooth sailing. Thanks again!
Welcome to the QQ- the little surround sound paradise on an exotic online island 🌴

Aha, another satisfied customer!!
Welcome Jim from Atlanta.
Hope to see you around on QQ, for many more years.

Last edited:
Hi All,

New here. Been very keen to get my SACD data off the discs so I am not beholden to the (not great) DAC in my SACD player.

I have purchased a Sony BDP-S490 player and downloaded the SACDExtractGUI. I have put the appropriate files on a properly formatted USB. The player is connected via ethernet to my router and I have correctly assigned the IP in the GUI.

If I press 'test' or 'ping' in the GUI it detects the player and no problems there.

I place the USB into the player and the player opens the draw. I then turn the player 'off' as required. All the settings on the player match those in this and the Hifi Haven thread.

However, once I go into the GUI and click "run", I get this:

Screen-Shot-2022-01-16-at-13-38-17.png

No files are extracted. Nothing happens. I have tried running the whole thing again from scatch, twice. I have tried with two firmware versions on the player.

Any advice?

Hi All,

New here. Been very keen to get my SACD data off the discs so I am not beholden to the (not great) DAC in my SACD player.

I have purchased a Sony BDP-S490 player and downloaded the SACDExtractGUI. I have put the appropriate files on a properly formatted USB. The player is connected via ethernet to my router and I have correctly assigned the IP in the GUI.

If I press 'test' or 'ping' in the GUI it detects the player and no problems there.

I place the USB into the player and the player opens the draw. I then turn the player 'off' as required. All the settings on the player match those in this and the Hifi Haven thread.

However, once I go into the GUI and click "run", I get this:

Screen-Shot-2022-01-16-at-13-38-17.png

No files are extracted. Nothing happens. I have tried running the whole thing again from scatch, twice. I have tried with two firmware versions on the player.

Any advice?
Hi Shug,

Firstly, welcome to QQ.

As you have probably read, the area which stops this working for newbies, including moi, is the correct formatting of a USB 2 stick and the auto script folder showing as correctly installed

If you are happy with your USB setup, have you tried a different SACD disc?

Don't worry, plenty of folk here, to get you over the line .

Cheers

I have ripped all of sacds and listened to them through my oppo 203 that I have owned for 4 years. I wish I had done this earlier now that I know it is so easy! This has inspired me to rip all my multi channel disks and movies. It looks like that is pretty easy except I am unsure about how to do the dts 5.1 cds from the 90s. Any advice from you wonderful, helpful folks? Thanks again.

Hi Shug,

Firstly, welcome to QQ.

As you have probably read, the area which stops this working for newbies, including moi, is the correct formatting of a USB 2 stick and the auto script folder showing as correctly installed

If you are happy with your USB setup, have you tried a different SACD disc?

Don't worry, plenty of folk here, to get you over the line .

Cheers

Hi,

Yes I am 99% sure I've done the USB drive correctly. The files are in a single folder called 'AutoScript' that I haven't tinkered with in any way. This is the files in the folder:

Screen-Shot-2022-01-16-at-15-13-37.png

The USB drive is FAT 32 MBP. The player responds correctly when I put the thumb drive in and switch it off - I can hear the optical drive still purring inside the player.

Edited to add - yes I have tried three different SACD discs from different distributors to make sure if is not a quirk of the disc.

Hi,

Yes I am 99% sure I've done the USB drive correctly. The files are in a single folder called 'AutoScript' that I haven't tinkered with in any way. This is the files in the folder:

The USB drive is FAT 32 MBP. The player responds correctly when I put the thumb drive in and switch it off - I can hear the optical drive still purring inside the player.

Edited to add - yes I have tried three different SACD discs from different distributors to make sure if is not a quirk of the disc.
Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Going to be a few more questions now.

Did you record the IP Address?

What are the numbers showing in the Gui software.

Can you take a picture to confirm?

How is the Blu ray player connected to your PC?

Are both machines hard wired to your modem/ router?

Have you set up the Blu ray player as per the initial setup instructions?

Sorry, but tricky to diagnose unless we know how and what you have achieved, so far.

Last edited:
I have ripped all of sacds and listened to them through my oppo 203 that I have owned for 4 years. I wish I had done this earlier now that I know it is so easy! This has inspired me to rip all my multi channel disks and movies. It looks like that is pretty easy except I am unsure about how to do the dts 5.1 cds from the 90s. Any advice from you wonderful, helpful folks? Thanks again.
If you use foobar, that can rip DTS CD's

Hope that helps. :)

It looks like that is pretty easy except I am unsure about how to do the dts 5.1 cds from the 90s.
DTS-CDs are "just" Redbook CDs. You can rip them like regular CDs using a computer optical drive. However, to play them back, you will need a DTS decoder. Otherwise, all you will hear is (very loud) noise. I'm sure that there is a software decoder that will do this offline, so that you can save the files as decoded multichannel WAV or FLAC. Note that this won't recover the data lost during the lossy DTS encoding process, so while the resulting decoded files are "lossless" by type, they are not truly lossless. There may also be software that will convert the DTS-encoded Redbook 16-bit/44.1kHz stereo audio to native 20- or 16-bit/44.1kHz DTS files (".dts" file extension). The player foobar2000 was mentioned above; I'm not sure if it (via plugins) will do either, or simply decode the DTS on playback.

The only discs these Blu-ray players will rip are SACDs. For everything else, you need a compatible computer optical drive.

Hi,

I had the same issues when I first got set up. The final and only fix for me was buying a new USB thumb drive that came from Amazon (they come with FAT 32 already formatted). It was some odd glitch from using an older, previously used USB thumb drive - even though it was properly formatted. Worth a try, if it comes to that.

I had the same issues when I first got set up. The final and only fix for me was buying a new USB thumb drive that came from Amazon (they come with FAT 32 already formatted). It was some odd glitch from using an older, previously used USB thumb drive - even though it was properly formatted. Worth a try, if it comes to that.
Great advice, it's what I found I needed to do and reiterated that in post 3. (y)

Back