Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chick Corea RENDEZVOUS IN NEW YORK [Stretch Records/2 Multi~CH SACDs] Recorded DSD LIVE TO 16 TRACK in 2001 at the Blue Note in NYC. Musicians include Gary Burton, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, Joshua Redman, Terence Blanchard, Michael Brecker and Gonzalo Rubalcaba with special guest Bobby McFerrin. Room Filling and THRILLING!

R.e6e9e35a27105d896dfaccc1aa9a6613

Last edited:
A lot of QQers chide Chesky for ambient only surrounds but played at a robust volume, IMO, all the Chesky SACDs are PURE AUDIOPHILE RECORDINGS!
I'm fine with it because it's not trying to be anything other than what it is- a realistic audiophile, "You are there" live type front stage recording!

yeah, I've got that one around here somewhere also, looks like it's hangin' an Ambisonic logo maybe? not sure the music did much for me though :unsure:

It was recorded in the historic St Peter's RC Church in New York City [Est.1785] and if you listen intently it will put you in a trance like mood. And being that it was recorded in a church it will ensure that ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN, including J. PUPSTER

See the source image

Last edited:
Pretty sure I paid up for my copy Baggy! Looks like on discogs it ranges from about $125-400 for that beauty; but I'd bet you already know all about that. Not sure I'm ready to let go of my copy just yet.

Now the Destiny's Child SACD, I might actually have an extra copy of that one (they seem to be much easier to obtain than the Beyoncé.) Seems like the Destiny's Child has several different releases, I'd imagine the same mix on all but not sure. I believe I read somewhere there was some licensing issues or something with the artist, leading to it being pulled early from the market, for that Beyoncé, but check me on that! Both were mixed by our man @ThomC. Like I said, the mix was good on the Beyoncé, but I seem to remember thinking the Destiny's Child mix sounded unusual and almost experimental in nature (but it's been a long time since I checked it out.)

Maybe this will console you a little :unsure:

Have none of those ended up on Apple or Tidal yet?

I just bought this based upon your review!
Just received this today and giving it a listen. I like it, and I had no idea what to expect. As a teen, I was into synthesizers in recordings. So the first track was a trip back. Second track could easily be BS&T. Anyway, a pleasant change for me, glad I got it. …and boy, what a tragic story of the band.

Back