Renaissance: Scheherazade & Other Stories (5.1 surround upmix out in November)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the album have it on vinyl and the AF SACD.
How do so many multitracks disappear unless they are purposely being jettisoned or rerecorded over? Really disappointing.
I wont be buying a complete upmix if it was partial like the last reissue I probably would get it.
Tape management is not what it should be; they may be lost or quite possibly recorded over as it was common practice (rental for recording sessions) with 2" tapes in the 1970s.

Last edited:
Renaissance were on Miles Copeland's BTM Records (along with Climax Blues Band, Caravan, Curved Air) which went bust circa end of 1975, so my gut feeling is that all multi-track tapes from that era were lost. Scheherazade was recorded at Abbey Road though, so there is a small possibility they were left there, depends on what BTM did with used tapes.
Scheherazade was released on Sire Records (WEA distribution at the time) here in the states. Discogs mentions RCA Victor with BTM in Germany and such. If the band or it's management made a move to acquire the masters there is no way to know. I don't think this was on anybody's mind back in the day that this situation would ever happen. It's my favorite by them so I'm surely disappointed.

Renaissance were on Miles Copeland's BTM Records (along with Climax Blues Band, Caravan, Curved Air) which went bust circa end of 1975, so my gut feeling is that all multi-track tapes from that era were lost. Scheherazade was recorded at Abbey Road though, so there is a small possibility they were left there, depends on what BTM did with used tapes.

Curved Air I'd buy even with an upmix! Their first two albums were very nicely psychedelic :smokin

Anyone receive their copy? It was scheduled to come out on Friday 11-26. I haven't received any shipping notification from Importcds

Multis are Either lost , misplaced , unusable .....or a victim of the 2008 Universal Barbeque.
Interesting tidbits: only 22 albums were babequed that did not have safety copies or backups anywhere else. One of those was Smells Like Teen Spirit. :unsure:

Universal's also publicly confirmed that master tapes for Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger album had been destroyed in the fire, and that members of the group had been made aware of the destruction in 2015 while they were working on a remaster of the album that was eventually completed with a backup safety copy. Very interesting.

The Great Universal Barbeque of 2008 is the worst musical disaster of all time.

Interesting tidbits: only 22 albums were babequed that did not have safety copies or backups anywhere else. One of those was Smells Like Teen Spirit. :unsure:

Off topic, but do you have a link to that list anywhere? Very curious what the other 21 are to know where there are glimmers of hope and where there are none... the articles I can find all have exhaustive lists and don't make mention of backups/etc.

Off topic, but do you have a link to that list anywhere? Very curious what the other 21 are to know where there are glimmers of hope and where there are none... the articles I can find all have exhaustive lists and don't make mention of backups/etc.
I can't find it at the moment, it MIGHT have been on Wikipedia. Will get back to you if I do find it.

First listen here, as well. For what it is the upmix is enjoyable. As expected the promo video has a rough picture, but sound isn’t too bad. Great to see the band in action! Haven’t listened to either of the two CDs yet.

The included booklet states: ‘5.1 Surround Sound up-mix from the original stereo master tapes by Ben Wiseman at Broadlake Studios, Herfordshire’

Back