Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple Minds-New Gold Dream-Box Set released 7/29/2016. 5.1 DVD-A 24/96 DTS-HD MSTR. DR's are 11, 12's, 13's, 14's.
R-8836904-1471357196-3558.jpg

Hey everybody, hope you’re all doing well. Yesterday a fellow stopped by who finally had some time to sit and listen a while. Played a few Q8s and he said “ Those discs really sound good!”. So I showed him the tapes. He then said he wouldn’t have known they were 8-tracks if I hadn’t told him. I love it when that happens! He also said the songs ( Tin Man, The Joker, Mississippi Queen, Operator etc. wouldn’t sound the same anymore. Cool, huh?

How's the surround, Eric? I only have the Stereo SACD version. Perhaps with Meatloaf's passing, SONY JAPAN will reissue it in special 7" packaging. It was, after all, one of the biggest sellers of all time!
As maligned as this version is by many, I feel based on the the missing/damaged masters/upmix (Heaven Can Wait) and the reality of the low budget recording, that this 5.1 mix is decent for when it was released as an original SACD 20 some years ago. If you do seek out a copy, be warned to not have high expectations for solid bass and it is a bit bright.

As maligned as this version is by many, I feel based on the the missing/damaged masters/upmix (Heaven Can Wait) and the reality of the low budget recording, that this 5.1 mix is decent for when it was released as an original SACD 20 some years ago. If you do seek out a copy, be warned to not have high expectations for solid bass and it is a bit bright.

Many thanks for your 'candid' review, Eric. As sales estimates for this 1977 album range between 43 to 50 million copies sold worldwide and estimates that it continues to sell at least 200,000 copies per year. it is certainly ripe for a new hi res remaster. I'm sure in those days the original analogue masters were overutilized to death to manufacture that many copies in SO many multiple formats and wonder if the missing multis exist somewhere in the world via safety copies?

Back