Steven Wilson Steven Wilson's New Studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new interview, but rather technical with no info on new mixes, so this thread is probably the best fit:
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/steven-wilson-knows-surround-part-1
Previously, Wilson’s 5.1 projects were released on Blu-ray or DVD. Now, he reports, “Eighty percent of the Atmos mixes I’m doing—and most of them I can’t talk about because they’re not officially announced, but I’ve done a lot—are coming out only on streaming. Which is slightly depressing for someone who loves physical product.”

A new interview, but rather technical with no info on new mixes, so this thread is probably the best fit:
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/steven-wilson-knows-surround-part-1

WTF? :eek:

“When you mix in 5.1, you know that people are going to listen through five speakers and a sub, because that’s the only way they can,” Wilson says. “But with Atmos, you have to get your head around the fact that most people are only going to hear this Atmos mix through a pair of headphones as Spatial Audio.

“This is where I’m excited about my record, because my music has gradually moved a little closer to being electronic. It’s very exciting, thinking about the possibilities of electronic sound and immersive audio.”

-and did I miss a 5.1 Black Sabbath album mixed by Steve Wilson :unsure:

“This is where I’m excited about my record, because my music has gradually moved a little closer to being electronic. It’s very exciting, thinking about the possibilities of electronic sound and immersive audio.”

-and did I miss a 5.1 Black Sabbath album mixed by Steve Wilson :unsure:
He did a nice stereo remix for Technical Ecstasy. No 5.1, though...

He did a nice stereo remix for Technical Ecstasy. No 5.1, though...
Maybe one in the Pipeline, or the author not being precise?
The first sentence:

"Steven Wilson has established quite a reputation over the past decade or so for his 5.1 remixes of classic UK rock bands such as King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Yes, XTC, Black Sabbath and others. "

Maybe one in the Pipeline, or the author not being precise?
The first sentence:

"Steven Wilson has established quite a reputation over the past decade or so for his 5.1 remixes of classic UK rock bands such as King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Yes, XTC, Black Sabbath and others. "
It would be nice if he finally does one, after being involved on a couple of them so far.

That is true but it still disappointing to see streaming and cloud taking over.
What’s more disappointing to me is the trend towards surround mixes being held hostage in $150 box sets. Given the choice, I’ll take streaming any day. The sound quality will catch up.

Last edited:
What’s more disappointing to me is the trend towards surround mixes being held hostage in $150 box sets. Given the choice, I’ll take steaming any day. The sound quality will catch up.
I would prefer for every new release to be available via lossless download ideally. I don't even own a disc player so I wouldn't buy a box set either. With the large capacity SSDs and fast download speeds available in 2022, we should have instant lossless downloads on any device by now.

Back