Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XTC as The Dukes Of Stratosphere - Psurroundabout Ride

image.jpg

Kap, I've seen more Santana shows than any other act, except Chicago Symphony. We were subscribers under both Solti and Barenboim.

I bought Amigos SQ the first day it was out and a Dutch 3 LP Lotus. I thought Lotus had better surround sound than Amigos. And Lotus is a live album!

I love the Amigos album, but I prefer my CD to the US SQ. FAUX QUAD, INDEED!
Hey, I will be going to ORD in February and we got tix to see CSO on Feb 12!!! We could meet if you are in town! a QQ novice(me) meets a QQ legend!!!

she was even prettier in person.. I used to see her in the lobby in Berklee in the late 80s... along with Juliana Hatfield and Paula Cole!
I was always hanging out with a bunch of Spanish speaking fellow musicians in the entrance to the Cafeteria...I went to Berklee last year and now that lobby is closed! :( ...but it's still there!!!

Listening now to Electric Ladyland-The Jimi Hendrix Experience 5.1 BD-A 24/96 from the 11/19/2018 box set. DR's are 11's, 12's, 13's, 14's, 15.
I've never listened to the stereo CD, but the stereophiles on that other forum still haven't gotten over how loud and brickwalled it is.

Some go as far as downmixing the 5.1 to 2.0 in their frustration. 😞

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

41j4F2iagNL.jpg

Purchased this new, but only got to listen for the first time today. Quad recording from '77 by DG. It's really good! Very much of its era, with modern instruments but not played with a full orchestra in a way they would have in the past. Surround is subtle but more active than modern classical mixing I think.

I've never listened to the stereo CD, but the stereophiles on that other forum still haven't gotten over how loud and brickwalled it is.

Some go as far as downmixing the 5.1 to 2.0 in their frustration. 😞

Album details - Dynamic Range Database
I am curious? Why would someone downmix a 5.1 to a 2.0? If a person owned the Blu Ray of Electric Ladyland why wouldn't they just listen to either the 24/96 of the 5.1 or the 24/96 of the 2.0?
Do these people like the BD-A but they don't like RBCD (Disc1)?
Prior to the box set being released my favorite RBCD version was the 4/10/2013 Japanese Blu-Spec CD2.
Sorry for all the questions but what you said had me wondering.

I am curious? Why would someone downmix a 5.1 to a 2.0? If a person owned the Blu Ray of Electric Ladyland why wouldn't they just listen to either the 24/96 of the 5.1 or the 24/96 of the 2.0?
Do these people like the BD-A but they don't like RBCD (Disc1)?
Prior to the box set being released my favorite RBCD version was the 4/10/2013 Japanese Blu-Spec CD2.
Sorry for all the questions but what you said had me wondering.
I believe the 24/96 of the 2.0 shares the same brickwalled mastering as the RBCD. So if they want to listen to the 2.0, the best sound for some would be the downmix of the 5.1. They may be listening on a separate system not set up for surround, or they may just not care about surround at all.

Last edited:
Julian Bream CONCERTO FOR LUTE & ORCHESTRA; CONCIERTO DE ARANJUEZ [RCA RED SEAL/DUTTON EPOCH/QUAD SACD] Sumptuous sonics and brilliant performances from Julian Bream and the Monteverdi Orchestra conducted by John Eliot Gardiner. TT: 69'59"

916LxegHFDL._AC_SL1429_.jpg
What a great disk. Really a lute concerto disk with a killer filler of the Concierto.

Back