Oppo BDP-83 Sound Output Issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcond

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
My trusty Oppo BDP-83 has run into an issue that I can't seem to solve - was hoping someone here may have a solution. My setup has been as follows: Oppo sending audio stream to Denon AVR-x3700H via HDMI, outputting to a 7.1.4 Atmos speaker array. This AVR was sending the video signal to a Panasonic plasma TV but the sound output was entirely handled by the AVR. Never had any issues.

Just yesterday I replaced the Panasonic TV with a new LG OLED 4K TV. So the only change in connections was to unplug the HDMI from the AVR video out to an HDMI input on the new TV. Now there is no sound at all when I play my Oppo. There is, however, video to the TV from the Oppo (via the AVR). I did have to change a video setting on the Oppo having to do with color output, but nothing else. So the sudden loss of the Oppo's ability to play back any sound output at all is strange and disconcerting. Until I find a fix, I can use my Sony UDP-x800M2, which seems to handle almost all disc formats (EXCEPT burned DVD+R, on which I have some DVD-As). So not a total loss, as I am happy with the output (both audio and video) so far from the Sony. And I can still use the analog outs (stereo only since the Denon AVR does not have multi analog inputs) on the Oppo to play CDs, etc.

I suspect the problem is one having to do with HDMI handshake issues, which I don't fully understand, but possibly since the Oppo is considered old tech and there are no longer firmware updates, the Oppo simply cannot play nice with a 4K TV set up such as I have now.

Anyone experience something similar?

I haven't experienced it yet, but i have read a lot of posts on other forums discussing HDMI incompatibilities. Most end with a recommendation to look into Fury products. I have read that you can contact them and describe the issue and they can recommend the correct component for your needs. Hopefully its a less expensive solution.

I've also read some using eARC to their advantage as well, but I'm not sure it was for disk players.

This may have nothing to do with your issue, but I had a similar problem with my Oppo BDP-93 and Yamaha AVR RX-V3081.

After installing a new 4k capable cable/satellite box I couldn't initially pass the 4k video signal through the AVR however if the box was connected directly to the TV the signal would pass okay. After some futzing around I found that the Yamaha AVR has two 4k modes, and the manual basically said if mode 1 doesn't work for your 4k device then try mode 2. After switching to the other mode I was passing 4k video okay.

Next day the missus was wanting to watch a Bluray on the Oppo and complained that there was no sound. It took about a week for me to discover that it was the 4k mode change on the AVR that had caused the problem. Switch it back to the initial mode and the Oppo had sound again! I now switch between 4k modes as necessary to either watch 4k content from satellite or play something on the Oppo with sound. Annoying, but manageable.

Looking at the manual for your Denon I note that there are three different settings available for 4k/8k modes - Standard, Enhanced (default) & 8k enhanced. You could try switching between these modes and see if it has any effect?

PS - I can resolve the Oppo's sound issue by updating the firmware, but I want to leave it at the current version as that supports ISO playback.

I had a similar situation when I upgraded my TV to a 4k Sony XBR-X900F and my Oppo 83 no longer played sound. I tried all sorts of things and could not get it to work, and I ended up sending the Oppo in for repair and temporarily replaced it with a Panny UB820. Oppo found nothing wrong, and after re-installing it I still had no sound. After much more goofing around with settings, I found that I had an HDMI setting on the TV set to Enhanced Format. Switched it back to Standard Format and I finally got sound from the Oppo! I hadn't looked at the TV settings before, as I didn't get sound even when the TV was turned off. Now I just need to remember that I need to change the TV settings whenever I want to watch a program in 4K HDR and switch it back when I want to listen to music.

Hope this helps you out!

I had a similar situation when I upgraded my TV to a 4k Sony XBR-X900F and my Oppo 83 no longer played sound. I tried all sorts of things and could not get it to work, and I ended up sending the Oppo in for repair and temporarily replaced it with a Panny UB820. Oppo found nothing wrong, and after re-installing it I still had no sound. After much more goofing around with settings, I found that I had an HDMI setting on the TV set to Enhanced Format. Switched it back to Standard Format and I finally got sound from the Oppo! I hadn't looked at the TV settings before, as I didn't get sound even when the TV was turned off. Now I just need to remember that I need to change the TV settings whenever I want to watch a program in 4K HDR and switch it back when I want to listen to music.

Hope this helps you out!
Actually, I just stumbled on the solution to my problem and it is very similar to what you describe. It is definitely an HDMI issue having to do with compatibility of video settings, of all things, impacting the audio. The particular video setting is "Deep Color". I actually found 2 ways to fix it, so I am documenting here in case it helps someone else out:

Method 1:
On TV settings, turn off HDMI Deep Color setting when playing the Oppo. This allows the HDMI handshake to be completed and plays sound as expected. The downside of this method is that you have to remember to toggle back on the Deep Color setting when using a different source, if that is relevant to the source being played (I really don't know if it matters or not).

Method 2:
I hooked up a separate HDMI out from my AVR to a separate HDMI input on my TV, and use this input only when playing the Oppo. Making sure the settings are compatible, there was no conflict with the Deep Color setting this way, and everything plays as it should. This is my preferred method when it comes time to play the Oppo.

(Remember when wires just sent signals in one direction and it was pretty easy to follow the path of the signal to make your connections? HDMI is so complicated with its 2 way signals and invisible handshakes.)

Thanks for the heads up. Lately, my OPPO 205 has been extremely finicky playing UHD4K discs. The screen goes blank on a LOT of them...and some play without issue. Strange indeed. I will have to access the LG OLED's menu and try turning off the HDMI deep color menu.

Anyone else have issues with the 205?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Lately, my OPPO 205 has been extremely finicky playing UHD4K discs. The screen goes blank on a LOT of them...and some play without issue. Strange indeed. I will have to access the LG OLED's menu and try turning off the HDMI deep color menu.

I wonder if Morpheus had problems like this with his TV?

1643153214628.png

I've also read some using eARC to their advantage as well, but I'm not sure it was for disk players.
Using ARC/eARC could work. This would mean running HDMI from the player directly to the TV, and making sure the AVR's HDMI output to the TV is connected to an input that has ARC/eARC capability (usually labeled on the TV). You then set the TV input to the player, but the AVR input to "TV," "(e)ARC," or similar. Make sure the TV audio output is set to "HDMI," "(e)ARC," "Receiver," or similar and also set to bitstream, not PCM. This passes unaltered sound from the player, through the TV, to the AVR. (ARC only supports up to Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio, while eARC supports up to Dolby Atmos/DTS:X. I believe both support LPCM up to 7.1.)

I have had lots of problems with the oppo 203 playing UHD disks. So much so, that I bought a Panasonic DP-UB820 and I play all my UHDs on that - without any problem.

I have had lots of problems with the oppo 203 playing UHD disks. So much so, that I bought a Panasonic DP-UB820 and I play all my UHDs on that - without any problem.
Dammit, don’t like the sound of that! I own a 203, am close to pulling the trigger on an LG OLED, and have been amassing a small collection of UHD/4K discs.

Dammit, don’t like the sound of that! I own a 203, am close to pulling the trigger on an LG OLED, and have been amassing a small collection of UHD/4K discs.
There is an Oppo 203 Owner's Thread (over 2,000 pages!) over at AVSForums. I would be willing to bet any issues you would run into have been addressed there. Based on the above discussion, any issues could probably be sorted out by changing a couple of settings in the setup menus.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-oppo-udp-203-owners-thread.2676801/

Wow, that surprises me. My 203 doesn't have any issues.

What's rather perplexing to me: My 205 has two HDMI outputs and one is plugged directly into my LG OLED 3D TV [via a 4K compliant Shunyata Research Venom HDMI connector] and plays ALL 3D/1080p discs FLAWLESSLY and UHD4K discs with FEW exceptions, as well....then all of a sudden played some UHD4K discs but NOT ALL. My OPPO is wifi compliant and is hooked up to my high speed FIOS internet and has all the latest firmware updates [HDR/Dolby VISION/even MQA decoding] and unless the LG TV [also WiFi enabled] has done some upgrades which could've affected the HDMI 'handshake' which I'm not aware of and has somehow interfered/altered with the incoming HDMI signal [IMO, unlikely]. My Fios cable box, also outputted with the Shunyata Research venom HDMI connector, has NO issues whatsoever playing 4K output from Amazon Prime and Netflix on my LG OLED TV!

VERY STRANGE INDEED!

Just stumbled onto this thread and finally figured out what happened to my BDP-83 connected to a Denon Receiver -> Sony 930HD TV. Sure enough audio comes back if I turn off enhanced mode on the TV's HDMI input. Who would have guessed it. Easy enough to fix with a 2nd HDMI cable to another input with enhanced off, since I need it on for the AppleTV to do HDR.

My trusty Oppo BDP-83 has run into an issue that I can't seem to solve - was hoping someone here may have a solution. My setup has been as follows: Oppo sending audio stream to Denon AVR-x3700H via HDMI, outputting to a 7.1.4 Atmos speaker array. This AVR was sending the video signal to a Panasonic plasma TV but the sound output was entirely handled by the AVR. Never had any issues.

You didn't state what firmware that you are on, but my BDP-95 had a similar issue when I upgraded to an OLED. Oppo has firmware updates to resolve this issue, but they are not listed on Oppo's support website, (don't ask me why makes no sense).

The last firmware for the BDP-83 is here and I believe that it fixes the no sound issue;
http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP83/BDP-83-60-1011_2.0.zip

You didn't state what firmware that you are on, but my BDP-95 had a similar issue when I upgraded to an OLED. Oppo has firmware updates to resolve this issue, but they are not listed on Oppo's support website, (don't ask me why makes no sense).

The last firmware for the BDP-83 is here and I believe that it fixes the no sound issue;

Awesome, except that I just realized I have a BDP-93, managed to find the update that fixes it also. Can't believe I missed this a few years ago when I first encountered the problem.

Thanks for the info. I am only updated through the latest firmware listed on Oppo's support website, did not know there were updates after this. I have it working now so am hesitant to mess with anything but I will keep this handy in case I need it.

I know it is a PITA, but when suddenly encountering new problems, would it make sense to first simply reset both the TV and the disc player to their factory defaults?

This little tidbit comes from the AVForum info on the OPPO 203:

1. Pressing and holding the Resolution button on the remote for three seconds will reset the player’s Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, and Color Depth settings to factory defaults.

Back