Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep em clean and cool, they'll last a long time.
A lot of people put their PCs on the floor. This is generally a bad thing as there is a lot more dust down there for the fans to suck in and clog everything up. At work I'm one of the few people with my PC on my desk. That does need more care to keep the noise they generate down, but IT have been accommodating enough on the spec for that. SSD is usually sufficient to reduce noise to negligible for work PCs with no need for gaming GPUs etc.

A lot of people put their PCs on the floor. This is generally a bad thing as there is a lot more dust down there for the fans to suck in and clog everything up. At work I'm one of the few people with my PC on my desk.
At work there was no room on my desk, but I valued my data. So I would take it outside and blow it out with an air hose a couple times a year. Screw IT. Just be careful, not too hard and don't spin the fans up, the bearings can't take 10,000 rpm. LOL

They all have fans I see, How quiet are they? I'm really looking at something completely silent like this
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-pri...e=fanless_power supply-_-17-151-194-_-Product
Sure, fanless will reign in the quite department. As you can see, there is a price to it. I do wonder in your case if you can use an external PSU and feed cables to your drives rather than drawing from the computers. Sure you have to worry about surge and UPS, but hmm.

Anyway, I put a CX650M in my sons PC a few years ago and while not silent, the difference from the previous PSU was shocking. It pretty much turned into background noise and not something that you hear unless trying. It is an older model (now), so I expect you can find better.

It goes without saying that a significant part of achieving silence is sizing the power supply correctly so it doesn't have to be working hard all the time. If you can run at 50%, the fans will rarely fire up to full spin and be so much quieter as a result.
Check out some of the numbers from Corsair (not sure I believe the 0 at 50%)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ec-table.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3K-zLcghchLw6WTVZvJWMD
1643572474156.png

It goes without saying that a significant part of achieving silence is sizing the power supply correctly so it doesn't have to be working hard all the time. If you can run at 50%, the fans will rarely fire up to full spin and be so much quieter as a result.
I got ya, thanks so much for the input.
But in the end it still wouldn't be a "Silent PC".
When you build it, you have to have a goal. :)

Sure, and if you hit it it will be interesting to see the build.
Obviously SSD over SATA due to bearing noise. The same decision point is necessary for every fan in there, bearings make noise.

Back to Win11. After a few days of use I have already replaced dropping files to the bar with alt+tab and drop. It isn't as quick, but the margin is small enough to make me seem like a whiner to dwell on it any longer.
Tagging, specifically inserting album art into files which I do, is much much quicker.

I have not run into any issues with software that I use.

That is one impressive project!!

Looks like it has plenty of cool :cool: cooling too.
Yeah, all Nidec AP15 fans, nice and quiet. Both radiators are in push/pull too. In the beginning I had 4 x 480mm radiators. Not as much into overkill on the radiators now and plus I have 2 HDD racks now I need to keep nice and cool. Plus I don't run 24 hours Prime95 anymore like I used to.
Anyone interested in non-pwm 120mm fans that are fairly quiet, the new model for the Nidec AP15's is AP43, but identical otherwise. If I had it to do over again I would get all pwm fans though. I think that first order was almost 30 fans. Ouch! That was 'spensive. lol. Every one is still running for over 9 years now. I make up (whole pc) all my wiring and crimp the terminals, then sleeve the wiring.

Sure, and if you hit it it will be interesting to see the build.
Obviously SSD over SATA due to bearing noise. The same decision point is necessary for every fan in there, bearings make noise.
I already have 8tb's of all SSD storage and a fanless hdmi video card in there.
Really just have to pick the power supply, cpu and it's cooling configuration.
Don't need a rocket ship, I don't game. Just a good reliable build that will last another 15 years.
By then I'm worm food. 🤪

My buddy Amir built a nice box a few years back.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amirs-music-server-build-thread.415/

I already have 8tb's of all SSD storage and a fanless hdmi video card in there.
Really just have to pick the power supply, cpu and it's cooling configuration.
Don't need a rocket ship, I don't game. Just a good reliable build that will last another 15 years.
By then I'm worm food. 🤪

My buddy Amir built a nice box a few years back.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amirs-music-server-build-thread.415/
Have you ever checked out overclock.net? There is about everything under the sun there, lots of build logs (I have a few myself).

There is one big bonus to this Win11 deal.
When I boot into my Win10 partition once a week or so,
it doesn't delay me 20 minutes while it insists one doing some update or another. LOL

There is one big bonus to this Win11 deal.
When I boot into my Win10 partition once a week or so,
it doesn't delay me 20 minutes while it insists one doing some update or another. LOL
If it's taking 20 minutes then it's time to get your self in gear and build that new rig!! But yeah, I was sort of surprised my Win 10 Pro rig just got an update of some sort...I didn't read about I just said screw it let it happen. Except for my ever present home network woes it's been pretty solid on 10 for a while. So far so good on 11 for the other one, knock on wood.

They all have fans I see, How quiet are they? I'm really looking at something completely silent like this
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-pri...e=fanless_power supply-_-17-151-194-_-Product
Do you really hear that good? At present my big rig has, let me count....15 fams + the psu fan (some seasonics have a hybrid mode like my 1000w you can make the fan rum all t he time or just when it needs to)
but anyway I hardly notice them. I sit right next to it....the noise level can also depend on the case, fan placement, and most assuredly fan design. I mean, you're not stupid you know this but thought I'd recap.
One of the advantages to having a huge case can be no annoying fan noises. In the early days of this rig I had 4...one time 5 radiators with two of the 4 x 480mm and the 240mm in push/pull meaning of course fans on both sides of the radiators., I did a lot of overclocking so in a Prime 95 extended run I would have them all spinning up 1400/1500 rpms with mostly a mild whooshing sound.

Of course I've seen some nice SFF builds much like your bud's that are designed intentionally to be quiet, and I can appreciate that.

Dig those old Coolermaster cases...I had a HAF 922 for years.

Do you really hear that good?
I don't know whats "that good"?
But as we discussed the other day, my favorite time is the early morning hours when the room noise is at it's absolute minimum.
During those times when the music is low, yes I can hear the fans about 11 feet away.
And you know how it is, once you start to hear something that aggravates you, then you can never ignore it. :mad: LOL
A big part is also just the "goal" thing, seeing how powerful a totally silent box I can build that is using conventional design, a challenge.
Like so many other things in life it's not about a "need" as much as a "want".
Cheers

I don't know whats "that good"?
But as we discussed the other day, my favorite time is the early morning hours when the room noise is at it's absolute minimum.
During those times when the music is low, yes I can hear the fans about 11 feet away.
And you know how it is, once you start to hear something that aggravates you, then you can never ignore it. :mad: LOL
A big part is also just the "goal" thing, seeing how powerful a totally silent box I can build that is using conventional design, a challenge.
Like so many other things in life it's not about a "need" as much as a "want".
Cheers
Hey I can definitely dig the goal, don't get me wrong....and 100% on irritating noise, like my neighbor's new rooster echoing through the woods before daylight. lol. It makes some weird sounds sometimes.
Specialized builds are always interesting to me, as are most things pc-centric. I like to see what people come up with, and I've learned a lot reading other people's build logs, etc.

In Radio Station studios the computer box would go outside the room and a remote device was wired into the studio and there was no noise. This does not help when you have to insert CD or DVD or smart media into the computer.

In Radio Station studios the computer box would go outside the room and a remote device was wired into the studio and there was no noise. This does not help when you have to insert CD or DVD or smart media into the computer.
...and to think they used actually play records! Hello this is WOWO, Little Rock Arkansas! Hello. Play Mlsty for me...

My HTPC is intentionally underpowered (Athlon 3000G processor) so it can run almost silently. I was a little surprised to get the offer to upgrade it to Windows 11 yesterday given that the chip only has two cores. Do people think I should jump?

My HTPC is intentionally underpowered (Athlon 3000G processor) so it can run almost silently. I was a little surprised to get the offer to upgrade it to Windows 11 yesterday given that the chip only has two cores. Do people think I should jump?
I've it on my Microsoft Surface Go 3 (Tablet with i3), I used it to play back Game Of Thrones episodes I'd downloaded when I was last on a business trip (nothing but CNN & BBC New in English on the TV!) and it ran well. The Windows 11 criteria is whether your computer/tablet has the security chip in-built or on the board, which W11 uses to 'enhance' security. My main PC a 4 year old Dell i7 can't run it.

Back