QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all I’m a new member and I have some questions

I have an audio tecnica At-LP120

I’m using my Yamaha natural sound Av receiver GTR-6030 using the surround sound 5 track setting..
It sounds pretty amazing so I need to upgrade the needle on my record player to play quad? Am I getting the full effect?

Hi all I’m a new member and I have some questions

I have an audio tecnica At-LP120

I’m using my Yamaha natural sound Av receiver GTR-6030 using the surround sound 5 track setting..
It sounds pretty amazing so I need to upgrade the needle on my record player to play quad? Am I getting the full effect?
Dolby Pro Logic is said to mostly compatible with QS(RM) records(which do not require special stylus), SQ will only decode properly with an SQ decoder but will still do something through pro logic(and also does not require special stylus). Stylus upgrade + demodulator only needed for CD-4(Quadradisc) records.

I have searched and searched what would be a good stylus upgrade ?
Are you looking to play CD-4 records? I have been using Audio Technica AT440MLB for playing CD-4 but it has been discontinued, the are newer Audio Technica Micro Line and shibata styli which also should work. VM540ML, VM740ML, VM750SH..(maybe others) I think Ortofon also has Shibata styli available and there are probably be more, I don't have have any of those. There are also shibata styli from the 1970s which may still work. If you are just playing SQ/QS then any decent stereo stylus should work.
Maybe others here may know of cheaper CD-4 styli??

Ok.. I have up graded the stylus.. now I need to figure out the demodulator situation

I have mostly Quadra discs cd-4

I have some SQ’s I would like to be able to play them both! Help!

Ok.. I have up graded the stylus.. now I need to figure out the demodulator situation

I have mostly Quadra discs cd-4

I have some SQ’s I would like to be able to play them both! Help!

Here's a start but better let some of the QQ forum members further inform you as to which are best and which are NOT

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...57.m570.l1313&_nkw=CD~4+demodulators&_sacat=0
You can play SQ/QS Matrix LPs with almost any cartridge and engage Dolby Pro Logic II [or equivalent] to decode them.

PL II does not correctly decode SQ. It is basically an RM/QS decoder. But it does play correctly all modulations of SQ except the back corners.

Only CD-4 requires a special demodulator and pickup.
UD4 can be played with either a UD4 demodulator or a BMX matrix decoder.
All of the other '70s systems were matrix systems and use only a matrix decoder.
PL II does decode QS, EV, DQ, DS, QX, and the Dynaco diamond correctly.

Last edited:
Back