WHO’S NEXT/LIFEHOUSE Box set coming in September 2023 (STEVEN WILSON DOLBY ATMOS & 5.1 MIXES CONFIRMED!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PETE TOWNSEND JUST CONFIRMED WHO’S NEXT IS BEING MIXED IN DOLBY ATMOS!!

View attachment 75990View attachment 75990
Wow. Thanks for sharing.
I had given up hope for this after some fellow QQ’ers pointed out that some of the original multitracks were reported to be missing.
Glad Pete is still around & willing to answer our (musical) prayers 🙏

Okay, as a stereo veteran and a multichannel wannabe, I've sort of lost the message. Is the consensus here that certain tracks from the inimitable Who's Next ('71) album cannot be mixed in multichannel (MC) because some of the original studio recordings -- of certain tracks -- are missing? If this is the case, what is the likely outcome? Is it probable that only some of the tracks on this one-of-a-kind masterpiece will be remixed for multichannel?

Okay, as a stereo veteran and a multichannel wannabe, I've sort of lost the message. Is the consensus here that certain tracks from the inimitable Who's Next ('71) album cannot be mixed in multichannel (MC) because some of the original studio recordings -- of certain tracks -- are missing? If this is the case, what is the likely outcome? Is it probable that only some of the tracks on this one-of-a-kind masterpiece will be remixed for multichannel?
PT is recreating some parts, as alluded to in a recent photo of a sequencer type thing.

1) The final multitracks of 1 to 3 songs from the original album are missing.

2) Earlier generation tapes, without final overdubs, do exist, and Pete is recording new overdubs to facilitate remixes.

1) The final multitracks of 1 to 3 songs from the original album are missing.

2) Earlier generation tapes, without final overdubs, do exist, and Pete is recording new overdubs to facilitate remixes.

1) That sucks 🙁

2) Thank God that Mr. T is still with us...but...isn't he fairly deaf? :unsure:

Regardless, thanks very much for the clarification.

Yes - but given that fact, I will gladly settle for the original artist plugging the gaps, bless him.
Better than pining away ad infinitum for a surround mix of this classic album 👍🏼
It would be great if he could find his original programming.
ibm701b.gif
PunchCardDecks.agr.jpg

OMG a museum piece - that's how I learned computer programming in college - P.I.T.A.!

It amazes me to learn how poorly these mixes/tapes from the era/genre were so poorly cared for and indexed.
When I was a kid we would find boxes of these with at the end of driveways with the trash. We had a blast with them making our bikes into motorcycles and building towers.

When I entered college in '84, the school I went to had just graduated it's last class that had to use cards.

When I was a kid we would find boxes of these with at the end of driveways with the trash. We had a blast with them making our bikes into motorcycles and building towers.

When I entered college in '84, the school I went to had just graduated it's last class that had to use cards.
Nice, guess I'm a couple years older than you. Those cards.....

When we were kids we didn't have computer input cards we had to use baseball cards.
Unfortunately the Nolan Ryan rookie cards made the best sound. ;)

This album is a masterpiece of rock 'n roll. The respected music journalist David Hepworth wrote a whole book about how 1971 was the greatest year for rock 'n roll and he put Who's Next as the best rock 'n roll album released that year. So it's the greatest rock 'n roll album ever made.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Dull-Moment-1971-Exploded/dp/1250130913
This is the album that even people indifferent to The Who enjoy. Like several other posters here, I will happily fork out big bucks for the definitive multichannel mix here. Anything better than the weedy, flat, Japanese stereo SACD is going to bring the house down. Forget Pink Floyd and Animals.

Back