What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also having a blast tracking down SQ and QS sources of various types. CD, vinyl, files from pals, etc. I'm genuinely having a great time with the SM.

Just occurred to me that if you're looking for more food for your SM, a number of the Dutton-Vocalion SACDs use an SQ-encoded stereo mix:
  • Deodato - Deodato 2
  • Airto & Deodato - In Concert
  • Don Sebesky - Giant Box
  • Herbie Hancock - Sextant (the original stereo mix is there as well)
There's also a Japanese CD of Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills' Super Session that uses the SQ-encoded quad mix instead of the original stereo (this is a completely different surround experience than Al Kooper's 5.1 mix on the 2014 AF SACD).

Just occurred to me that if you're looking for more food for your SM, a number of the Dutton-Vocalion SACDs use an SQ-encoded stereo mix:
  • Deodato - Deodato 2
There's also a Japanese CD of Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills' Super Session that uses the SQ-encoded quad mix instead of the original stereo (this is a completely different surround experience than Al Kooper's 5.1 mix on the 2014 AF SACD).

i've not checked but i wouldn't be
surprised if some or even all of the other DV SACDs of CTI Quads were SQ-encoded in 2Ch, like Grover Washington, Jr's Soul Box and George Benson's Body Talk

With this one Mike, you absolutely have fallen off the vinyl cliff! Now that you've gone "there", every time you stumble across an Angel logo in a double circle you'll pause and be like "Hey, wait... another quad. I don't have this one yet, better snag it." The same will go for Turnabout QS LP's, once you recognize the graphic design style of their quad front covers. That's how my quad LP collection has grown to over 470 with nearly half being classical/orchestral/opera! And as far as finding these in the wild, yeah, SQ's lead the pack for me with over half of my total collection being SQ, and of that about three-quarters of my classical/orchestral/opera are SQ.

With this one Mike, you absolutely have fallen off the vinyl cliff! Now that you've gone "there", every time you stumble across an Angel logo in a double circle you'll pause and be like "Hey, wait... another quad. I don't have this one yet, better snag it." The same will go for Turnabout QS LP's, once you recognize the graphic design style of their quad front covers. That's how my quad LP collection has grown to over 470 with nearly half being classical/orchestral/opera! And as far as finding these in the wild, yeah, SQ's lead the pack for me with over half of my total collection being SQ, and of that about three-quarters of my classical/orchestral/opera are SQ.
Example of Turnabout graphics?

Here are examples of some of the different graphic design styles Turnabout used on their quad releases.

exhibit A.jpg exhibit B.jpg exhibit C.jpg

In the first style they prominently advertised "QS Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible" on the front covers with the QS logo. Later on in the second style they still labelled the records as quad on the front, but a little less prominently. In the third style they stopped advertising quad on the front covers all together, but generally still mentioned it in a blurb on the back, often in the lower right by the copyright information.

In all cases the key giveaway is the use of the "QTV-S" catalog prefix number, "Quadraphonic Turnabout/Vox - Stereo", as the "TV-S" is their regular stereo. The covers were often 'bland' in design and color selection, with the use of classical paintings as the artwork. The "T" in a rhombus/diamond on the front cover is another reliable giveaway as this was the logo they were using during the quad era. If you see any other Turnabout logos, it's almost certainly not quad. When I see that diamond logo I slow down and check the catalog number for a "Q", and will also look for the rear blurb and even at the LP label if things aren't clear.

Mark Anderson's discography is of course the greatest resource, and Ebay is great even if for only window shopping: you get to see what quad album covers look like and start to commit things to memory (even if it's against your will!). Seeing so many things on Ebay has helped raise flags for me when record picking and caused me to pause or back-up when sifting through a box of records. These three photos were just lifted from Ebay by searching for "Turnabout quad", which was a very targeted and limited search and missed a bunch of offerings because those auction headings didn't include "Turnabout". There are a lot of single inventory classical quads out there in thrift stores.

And, just like with your Angel SQ boxed set, Vox put out QS encoded boxed sets. Your boxed set may not mention the "double circle" Angel logo as I don't think all of the boxed sets were transparent about it, but a lot (most?) of the individual Angel LPs had a blurb on the back divulging the secret. See below.

Angel blurb.jpg
Turnabout blurb.jpg

Welcome to the quad LP addiction! Involve Audio served as the enabler to get you hooked, and were just here as your suppliers (of info) now!

• Deodato - Deodato 2

Does that hold true for CBS/COLUMBIA - A Little Night Music (OC)SQ ?

• Deodato - Deodato 2
Actually that Japanese CD is not encoded. I have it, the only mention of SQ is on the OBI. The disc and insert only state Stereo. The proof is in the listening. There is a fair bit of rear channel output with my S&IC but almost no left to right separation. The SQ encoded LP sounds quite different, with excellent left to right separation across the rear. I'm sure comparison of that Japanese CD with a known stereo CD will show that it is the same mix.

The 5.1 mix on the SACD is very different. It has more sound elements present in the mix but the important parts like guitar and organ are much more subdued, it lacks the punch of the stereo and of the quad mix.
So, I don't much care for the SACD mix for the exact same reason that I didn't like the Roxy Music surround mix!

Actually that Japanese CD is not encoded. I have it, the only mention of SQ is on the OBI. The disc and insert only state Stereo. The proof is in the listening. There is a fair bit of rear channel output with my S&IC but almost no left to right separation. The SQ encoded LP sounds quite different, with excellent left to right separation across the rear. I'm sure comparison of that Japanese CD with a known stereo CD will show that it is the same mix.
That's interesting, I don't personally have a copy but people seemed convinced that it retained the matrix encoding in this old discussion:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...i-lp-replica-cd-sony-japan.12853/#post-110585I know the Chase Pure Music Japanese Blu-Spec CD with the SQ logo was disproven to be encoded.

I have this too I thought it was quad encoded....also have the SQ album. Oh well.....
But I dont understand why in Japan they would replicate SQ on the obi if it wasnt the encoded master. I think this came out on vinyl in Japan I have to look for my copies.

Back