Seal's first album in Dolby atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Available soon through the streaming services." I see Tim Weidner is also involved, which makes sense. I mean . . . I actually have a soft spot for his 5.1 mix of Fragile, if only because it was one of the very first surround mixes I ever heard. (I can't speak to his 5.1 mixes of Seal.) But I hope Dolby supplied a minder or two who could coach the two of them on best practices for Atmos.

Last edited:
"Available soon through the streaming services." I see Tim Weidner is also involved, which makes sense. I mean . . . I actually have a soft spot for his 5.1 mix of Fragile, if only because it was one of the very first surround mixes I ever heard. (I can't speak to his 5.1 mixes of Seal.) But I hope Dolby supplied a minder or two who could coach the two of them on best practices for Atmos.
I really love the Seal albums (I've the DVD-As), but looks like sadly only available for rental :(

There's a real possibility this could be issued on Blu-Ray as part of SDE's "Surround Sound Series", given that the upcoming xPropaganda album is also on ZTT.
The way my luck works, I can almost guarantee you that will happen.
Why, you might ask?
Because I recently broke down and paid $100 for the OOP 5.1 mix on DVD…that almost guarantees somebody will release a superior mix on Blu-Ray for $30 🤑

Yup, passing up the opportunity to sell a few hundred physical discs in exchange for hundreds of thousands of streams. Not clear which actually makes them more money. But it is their decision.
It isn't either/or they can do both and turn additional profit.
Wouldn't we all like to be a fly on the wall in the room where decisions like this are made..."Money...that's what I want."

Wouldn't we all like to be a fly on the wall in the room where decisions like this are made..."Money...that's what I want."

An electric fly, as most likely it would have been a zoom meeting, where it was allocated a bit of time in Other Business, and they never got to it.

PMC have a Dolby Atmos demo "studio" near me in Islington, London. Heff Moraes is in charge of this facility and he was one of the engineers who worked with Trevor Horn on the original recordings. Heff is very knowledgeable and passionate about mixing in Atmos. He's not there just as a PMC salesman.
If you are nearby, it's worth trying to book a listening session to hear what a well calibrated system can sound like.

Is that something a member of the general public can do?
Good question. I cant see why not, as the facility exists to promote and sell PMC speakers. PMC exist in the studio and home domains, and the boxes are essentially the same.
It's appointments only, and expect along wait to get in, but the wait will be worthwhile. It's a big room, maybe arrange for a group of like minded people to attend.
They are busy with commercial Atmos mixes in-between demos. Some of the Atmos mixes in the demo were done in that room so that you can appreciate exactly what the producer/engineer heard.
There's no pressure to sign on the dotted line and invest in PMC, but you will be wondering how to afford a system like for a long time after you've heard it.

Yup, passing up the opportunity to sell a few hundred physical discs in exchange for hundreds of thousands of streams. Not clear which actually makes them more money. But it is their decision.
I would imagine the streaming makes the record company way more money than the artist, and the artist makes more from the disc sales than the record company!

I would imagine the streaming makes the record company way more money than the artist, and the artist makes more from the disc sales than the record company!
We are all just wildly guessing, but I think the record company makes the most from either. Making physical media costs money, streaming does not. So....

Back