Comparing Streaming, between Tidal & Apple Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
OK, so I literally looked at every thread in the Object Based Surround Forum and didn't see anything (that was obvious) about comparing Apple Music Vs Tidal and then back up a bit and compare what devices you need to actually stream the Atmos content within either of these music sites. If I recall, I thought some were griping about the Amazon Fire Stick or whatever it's called....

I'm not partial to Apple or Tidal. I just want the simplest device to use, that can navigate easily the Atmos content in whatever site has the most content. Yeah, price matters, to an extent. Can someone point me to the proper thread where this is discussed? Or, there really isn't one?

OK, so I literally looked at every thread in the Object Based Surround Forum and didn't see anything (that was obvious) about comparing Apple Music Vs Tidal and then back up a bit and compare what devices you need to actually stream the Atmos content within either of these music sites. If I recall, I thought some were griping about the Amazon Fire Stick or whatever it's called....

I'm not partial to Apple or Tidal. I just want the simplest device to use, that can navigate easily the Atmos content in whatever site has the most content. Yeah, price matters, to an extent. Can someone point me to the proper thread where this is discussed? Or, there really isn't one?

Apple Music on a 4K Apple TV, its so plug and play even i can do it 🤣

Get Apple TV 4K or use airpods or expensive 360 ra sony avr

Amazon can have one of these to you tomorrow.
No risk, free returns within 30 days.

If you're not a prime member, PM me & I'd be happy to order you one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0933D3SN6/
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 7.59.16 PM.png

I don't do Tidal so can't compare; but I also get tons of great TV/Movie content off my Apple TV4K, but I know you're not as much into that aspect.

But a buck/seventy for an Apple TV 4K; come on Gene, a pittance compared to all the music you purchase :SG

As to Atmos, I'm still stuck on 5.1 & still think the quality is somewhat er "Stiff", but who knows...

Headed over to listen to some EJ 🎩

Receiver...ive got mine plugged into my oppo hdmi input

right Gene, did you receiv'er loud and clear! 👌 🥳

its time to go live and unplugged with a spanky new Apple TV!! no more splishin' in De(river)Nile, you'll be streamin' in D.Atmos in no time!! 😅💘

woo, i need to go for a lay down 🙃
i've listened to more Elton in the last 2 & 1/2 hours than i have in the last 2 & 1/2 years! 😈🤤

Hi @GOS . Answering to this I see you have gone to the Apple (Atmos) path..... No Elton John in Atmos yet on TIDAL :(

I'm a Tidal HI-FI subscriber for Atmos since the beginning. I already had the Fire TV 4K, which is by far the cheapest device.

Fire TV 4K is pretty good for me to run Netflix and other video streaming services. To run it to the Projector. I have no Smart TV in the Home Cinema room.

Regarding TIDAL (Atmos) with Fire TV 4K, there were some problems at the beginning but now it runs OK, plugged to an HDMI AVR, and the AVR detects correctly the Atmos signal.

The shortcomings of Fire TV 4K for Tidal Atmos:

- The volume level of Atmos tracks are usually 10dB lower (or so) than the rest of Stereo tracks. Watch your volume knob when going from Atmos track to stereo track. (I think this is TIDAL 'feature' not Fire TV)
- Not possible to find any Atmos track with this interface. You have to look for in your Mobile App Tidal account, and add them in "My Collection". Then it appears in your TIDAL account with the Fire TV 4K.

I'm not an "Apple user", and I do not consider yet to subscribe to Apple Music and buy the more expensive Apple TV 4K.

But it seems in this thread that there are more Atmos appearing in Apple than in Tidal, or at least, there are more Apple members here.

Hi @GOS . Answering to this I see you have gone to the Apple (Atmos) path..... No Elton John in Atmos yet on TIDAL :(

I'm a Tidal HI-FI subscriber for Atmos since the beginning. I already had the Fire TV 4K, which is by far the cheapest device.

Fire TV 4K is pretty good for me to run Netflix and other video streaming services. To run it to the Projector. I have no Smart TV in the Home Cinema room.

Regarding TIDAL (Atmos) with Fire TV 4K, there were some problems at the beginning but now it runs OK, plugged to an HDMI AVR, and the AVR detects correctly the Atmos signal.

- The volume level of Atmos tracks are usually 10dB lower (or so) than the rest of Stereo tracks. Watch your volume knob when going from Atmos track to stereo track. (I think this is TIDAL 'feature' not Fire TV)
- Not possible to find any Atmos track with this interface. You have to look for in your Mobile App Tidal account, and add them in "My Collection". Then it appears in your TIDAL account with the Fire TV 4K.

I'm not an "Apple user", and I do not consider yet to subscribe to Apple Music and buy the more expensive Apple TV 4K.

But it seems in this thread that there are more Atmos appearing in Apple than in Tidal, or at least, there are more Apple members here.
In my observation, Apple Music has a similar issue with regard to the volume of Atmos tracks vs stereo tracks. But I’m not sure this is entirely a streaming platform issue, but rather also a general mastering issue.

Last edited:

- Not possible to find any Atmos track with this interface. You have to look for in your Mobile App Tidal account, and add tehem in "My Collection". Then it appears in your TIDAL account with the Fire TV 4K.

I started out with a Firestick4K when Tidal started with Atmos, it worked OK, but the volum differences drove me mad. Usually I play music at about -25, but with Tidal Atmos I played at -10, then suddenly when a playlist or song ended Tidal would play a song they thought I would like in stereo with a normal volume. Almost gave me a heart attack several times and not least almost blew up my speakers. When Apple came onbord the the Atmos train I bought a ATV4K, and have not looked back. Firestick would not give me Atmos on Disney+, becouse I had no 4K display connected, no problem with ATV4K. :cool:

I started out with a Firestick4K when Tidal started with Atmos, it worked OK, but the volum differences drove me mad. Usually I play music at about -25, but with Tidal Atmos I played at -10, then suddenly when a playlist or song ended Tidal would play a song they thought I would like in stereo with a normal volume. Almost gave me a heart attack several times and not least almost blew up my speakers. When Apple came onbord the the Atmos train I bought a ATV4K, and have not looked back. Firestick would not give me Atmos on Disney+, becouse I had no 4K display connected, no problem with ATV4K. :cool:
So, in your opinion, the Apple tv doesn't have the same issues of volumn fluctuations between Atmos and stereo?

So, in your opinion, the Apple tv doesn't have the same issues of volumn fluctuations between Atmos and stereo?
The volume fluctuation is definitely less pronounced on Apple TV. When I had Tidal a year ago it would make me jump out of my chair.

All-in-all, I like Apple Music better because:
1) It's cheaper at $10/month vs. $20/month. While the AppleTV device is much more expensive than a Firestick 4K, if you are paying full price for Tidal you will make-up the difference within a year of subscribing.
2) It's easier to find music. The now on Spatial Audio section is updated very frequently (but still misses a lot of releases)
3) There are a few tracks exclusive to Tidal, but seem to be many more tracks exclusive to Apple (at least initially)
4) Volume issue is less of a problem.

The volume fluctuation is definitely less pronounced on Apple TV. When I had Tidal a year ago it would make me jump out of my chair.

All-in-all, I like Apple Music better because:
1) It's cheaper at $10/month vs. $20/month. While the AppleTV device is much more expensive than a Firestick 4K, if you are paying full price for Tidal you will make-up the difference within a year of subscribing.
2) It's easier to find music. The now on Spatial Audio section is updated very frequently (but still misses a lot of releases)
3) There are a few tracks exclusive to Tidal, but seem to be many more tracks exclusive to Apple (at least initially)
4) Volume issue is less of a problem.

C'mon, C'mon. I need more arguments like these. I have many subscriptions already, but not beeing an "Apple man", I still resist to enter the Apple game :sneaky:

Back