Giancarlo Erra & Tim Bowness - Memories Of Machines CD/DVD-A/V with new stereo & 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have finally ordered through ImportCD in the States. Thanks so much for revisiting this in surround!

I had placed a pre~order for the CD/DVD A/V of Memories of Machines with Deep Discount and placed it in my cart only to have the order canceled. Now ImportCD/DD only carry the 180g Vinyl version. Strange!

But both do carry the CD/DVD of Departure Tapes.

I had placed a pre~order for the CD/DVD A/V of Memories of Machines with Deep Discount and placed it in my cart only to have the order canceled. Now ImportCD/DD only carry the 180g Vinyl version. Strange!

I'm afraid I don't know what distributors are doing. Usually Burning Shed is quite efficient with US, and you get also the downloads immediately, but I understand might be more expensive!

Yes basically linking the DVD-V part from the DVD-A part (instead of asking you to switch your player to read the DVD-V or DVD-A part) means forcing the whole disc to be within specs that are like 20 years old, and using absolutely horrendous software (illegally unless you have a 15 years old PC around). Using instead more modern software, it's possible to make a in-spec DVD-V and DVD-A and simply put them together, like you would do anyway, and simply skip linking any content from the DVD-A into the DVD-V.
That basically means the difference for me between being able to have a DVD-A or not ;-) And I believe it's a very small thing. For ripping simply access the DVD-V and you'll be able to get hires stereo and DD/DTS, or access the DVD-A to get the LPCM surround.
I ocassionally author DVDA discs with the now ancient discWelder program. I haven't fooled with any DVD authoring programs in years because I don't need to, back a long time ago it was DVD Lab Pro I used.

I'm curious what is the modern software you are authoring DVDA with if you don't mind elaborating?
All I know of are discWelder and Sonic. discWelder is full of quirks but for simple stuff it's OK. Sonic I'm told just about demands a machine running XP, but I have never used it.

I ocassionally author DVDA discs with the now ancient discWelder program. I haven't fooled with any DVD authoring programs in years because I don't need to, back a long time ago it was DVD Lab Pro I used.

I'm curious what is the modern software you are authoring DVDA with if you don't mind elaborating?
All I know of are discWelder and Sonic. discWelder is full of quirks but for simple stuff it's OK. Sonic I'm told just about demands a machine running XP, but I have never used it.

I used those in the past, absolutely horrific experience, they produce unnecessary complicated discs, and they force you to old standards that are non existing/needed anymore. And obviously they're slower, hence the cost of authoring is much higher, and running on old/dated machines etc.

I work exclusively on Mac, and my normal audio mastering software Steinberg Wavelab (basically a modern industry-standard) can produce a valid DVD-A output audio ts, without any menu (if not it's very basic one!) or much control over the disc apart from images per every track. Keeping the audio ts and video ts separated allow for the most freedom in terms of what to do with both "sides", and produces the most compatible DVD-A and DVD-V you can possibly have (linking the DVD-V from the DVD-A forces you to more complications on the DVD-V side).

I hope luckily for most fans out there is a small 'price' to pay having to switch from DVD-A to DVD-V from controller/player instead of disc menu :cool:

I used those in the past, absolutely horrific experience, they produce unnecessary complicated discs, and they force you to old standards that are non existing/needed anymore. And obviously they're slower, hence the cost of authoring is much higher, and running on old/dated machines etc.

I work exclusively on Mac, and my normal audio mastering software Steinberg Wavelab (basically a modern industry-standard) can produce a valid DVD-A output audio ts, without any menu (if not it's very basic one!) or much control over the disc apart from images per every track. Keeping the audio ts and video ts separated allow for the most freedom in terms of what to do with both "sides", and produces the most compatible DVD-A and DVD-V you can possibly have (linking the DVD-V from the DVD-A forces you to more complications on the DVD-V side).

I hope luckily for most fans out there is a small 'price' to pay having to switch from DVD-A to DVD-V from controller/player instead of disc menu :cool:
I see. Yes I don't even bother with the VIDEO_TS folder anymore since for my personal use it isn't necessary, and nowadays it's easy to rip the AUDIO_TS folder with free programs if needed.
Thanks!

Listened to it about 4 times now, I had the original cd version so I can tell the differences. Its fabulously done! Dream soundscapes with Tim’s whispering “ close to mike” voice make this my current perfect Sunday morning disc! Time these guys make a new album together!!

Plans are to make another one…finding time is another matter, but hopefully this year we’ll start working on something :) I’m glad you like this new reissue…I really wanted to make it ‘right’ for me!

When you select the dvd unit you can see two folders inside (AUDIO and VIDEO). Select Video FOLDER. Then you can see the three audio options

View attachment 77057View attachment 77058

When I go the route you described above, here is what I see. LPCM 48/24 2 channel. I don't see LPCM 6 channel.
1648906943790.png

When I go the route you described above, here is what I see. LPCM 48/24 2 channel. I don't see LPCM 6 channel.
View attachment 77518
You won't, that screen shot shows the contents of the VIDEO_TS. The LPCM 6ch is in the AUDIO_TS, and it is the only stream in it.

It is not a 'conventional' DVD-A/V, it is authored as a DVD-V and a DVD-A 'glued' together in software.

Last edited:
You won't, that screen shot shows the contents of the VIDEO_TS. The LPCM 6ch is in the AUDIO_TS, and it the only stream in it.

It is not a 'conventional' DVD-A/V, it is authored as a DVD-V and a DVD-A 'glued' together in software.

ONLY wish Esoteric would adopt this procedure instead of releasing in Lossy DTS/DD 5.1..and then giving us a LOSSLESS Stereo ONLY hi res remaster!

Back