Byrds: Fifth Dimension - Announced, Not Released on Surround SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the 5.1 may have finally broken cover... It's on Tidal in 360 Reality Audio...

The Byrds - Fifth Dimension
https://tidal.com/browse/album/195417344
600x600bb-5.jpg

It's not the surround mix though, it's 360 Reality Audio which only creates the impression of a spatial mix using two speakers or headphones.

The 360 mixes are true multichannel but there’s no way (I know of) to play MPEG 3D mixes on conventional equipment at this time. The new Sony surround system will (I think).

It's not the surround mix though, it's 360 Reality Audio which only creates the impression of a spatial mix using two speakers or headphones.
That's not correct. It is a true surround mix. There just isn't much equipment available yet that can decode it properly. I have heard McIntosh equipment supports RA360

McIntosh MX123 A/V Processor

The 360 mixes are true multichannel but there’s no way (I know of) to play MPEG 3D mixes on conventional equipment at this time. The new Sony surround system will (I think).
That's not correct. It is a true surround mix. There just isn't much equipment available yet that can decode it properly. I have heard McIntosh equipment supports RA360

Thanks for the corrections, but since it's an approximation delivered by two speakers I'll pass :>) I haven't any use for streaming services anyway.

Thanks for the corrections, but since it's an approximation delivered by two speakers I'll pass :>) I haven't any use for streaming services anyway.

amazingly, the discrete tracks from the unreleased MultiCh SACD are all there in the core files of the 360RA offering, it just can't be readily accessed/decoded right now 🙂

amazingly, the discrete tracks from the unreleased MultiCh SACD are all there in the core files of the 360RA offering, it just can't be readily accessed/decoded right now 🙂
You are the 3rd member to try and clarify this to him. I don't think he wants to believe it.

You are the 3rd member to try and clarify this to him. I don't think he wants to believe it.

Ooooh lol Luv...he understands and even believes, what you don't seem to understand is that even though the surround channels may be there in the core files, in reproduction they're still only coming through two speakers, only approximating the surround mix and unless one has access to a hugely expensive piece of kit able to properly decode the files into multi speaker placement that's just the way it is at present. It's good to know that it's being used though, perhaps this bodes well for a future release on physical media...perhaps not, if this turns out to be an exclusive use of the mix by Tidal then I guess we can say bye-bye to that.

Hello @~dave~~wave~
I've seen these "360" and "Atmos" tracks on Amazon music HD. Are they actually streaming multichannel audio?
I've seen several posts where a QQ member says they will listen to the Atmos version on Amazon music HD. Are they that easily fooled?

I've seen several posts where a QQ member says they will listen to the Atmos version on Amazon music HD. Are they that easily fooled?
Maybe try re-reading this thread starting with post #23?

I don't know what you read, or where, or if you remember correctly, because no posts are quoted.
Quite possibly some may have been deleted.

I'm not the expert, but when I got this same pushback last week from another member, I made a good faith effort to reply with my experiences and opinions on listening to Amazon RA360 on conventional headphones.

All those posts were deleted for being off-topic.
(They were in the Listening Now In Streaming Tidal / Atmos thread.)

Maybe we need to take a deep breath, hit the reset button, and start a new thread:
What's the Deal with Amazon RA360?

My perceptions:
  1. Headphones only, no discrete Atmos, Quad. or 5.1 without rumored $8K McIntosh A/V Processor
  2. Amazon and Sony want you to buy the proprietary Sony headphones for $350 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-1000XM4-Wireless-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B08WZXP336/
  3. Amazon RA360 streams don't even show available in the Amazon app on my iMac with 5.1 HDMI that I use for Apple Music
  4. On my iPhone & iPad, the streams do not show available unless the device detects either wired or bluetooth headphones / earbuds
  5. With any conventional Headphones, or my pro in-ear monitor earbuds with full-range bass response, I hear something in both RA360 and Atmos mixes that is more "spatial" than stereo
  6. Old quads work best
  7. The first time I had this perception, I didn't even know there was such a thing as RA360 on Amazon. It was a true blind test. I was riding my bicycle listening to my Amazon Santana playlist. Unbeknownst to me, the tracks available in RA360 auto-updated.
  8. As I pedaled along, thinking how great these sounded in stereo, I heard something pan around my head.
  9. It literally stopped me in my tracks.
  10. I climbed off my bike and stared at my phone to see the RA360 icon for the first time.
  11. The rest is history.
  12. One man's perception, agree or disagree.
  13. I have seen no one report that they personally use one of the devices mentioned below to stream compressed Atmos. I can buy a shit-ton of physical product for $8K.
  14. That's not correct. It is a true surround mix. There just isn't much equipment available yet that can decode it properly. I have heard McIntosh equipment supports RA360

15. And MPEG-H, which is what RA360 is based on. That McIntosh is drool-provoking. Only $8k...
    This post is liable, like any thing perceived by any moderator as off-topic, to be deleted without warning.
  16. I've saved a copy for future reference.

17. 🔥

Maybe try re-reading this thread starting with post #23?

I don't know what you read, or where, or if you remember correctly, because no posts are quoted.
Quite possibly some may have been deleted.

I'm not the expert, but when I got this same pushback last week from another member, I made a good faith effort to reply with my experiences and opinions on listening to Amazon RA360 on conventional headphones.

All those posts were deleted for being off-topic.
(They were in the Listening Now In Streaming Tidal / Atmos thread.)

Maybe we need to take a deep breath, hit the reset button, and start a new thread:
What's the Deal with Amazon RA360?

My perceptions:
  1. Headphones only, no discrete Atmos, Quad. or 5.1 without rumored $8K McIntosh A/V Processor
  2. Amazon and Sony want you to buy the proprietary Sony headphones for $350 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-1000XM4-Wireless-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B08WZXP336/
  3. Amazon RA360 streams don't even show available in the Amazon app on my iMac with 5.1 HDMI that I use for Apple Music
  4. On my iPhone & iPad, the streams do not show available unless the device detects either wired or bluetooth headphones / earbuds
  5. With any conventional Headphones, or my pro in-ear monitor earbuds with full-range bass response, I hear something in both RA360 and Atmos mixes that is more "spatial" than stereo
  6. Old quads work best
  7. The first time I had this perception, I didn't even know there was such a thing as RA360 on Amazon. It was a true blind test. I was riding my bicycle listening to my Amazon Santana playlist. Unbeknownst to me, the tracks available in RA360 auto-updated.
  8. As I pedaled along, thinking how great these sounded in stereo, I heard something pan around my head.
  9. It literally stopped me in my tracks.
  10. I climbed off my bike and stared at my phone to see the RA360 icon for the first time.
  11. The rest is history.
  12. One man's perception, agree or disagree.
  13. I have seen no one report that they personally use one of the devices mentioned below to stream compressed Atmos. I can buy a shit-ton of physical product for $8K.

14. This post is liable, like any thing perceived by any moderator as off-topic, to be deleted without warning.
  15. I've saved a copy for future reference.

16. 🔥
Thank you. I'll try the Amazon 360 on my stereo Bluetooth speaker ..

Thank you. I'll try the Amazon 360 on my stereo Bluetooth speaker ..
You're quite welcome, but...
are you trolling me now? o_O

What part of the first two words of bullet point #1 are confusing you? :rolleyes:
What do you expect to hear on stereo bluetooth speakers?
May I respectfully suggest you might do better to give it a try on headphones or Echo "360" speaker as intended?

It's a free world, do what you want.
But coming back here to post you couldn't make it work or don't hear anything spatial and it's all hype would not be helpful. ;)

are you trolling me now? o_O

What part of the first two words of bullet point #1 are confusing you? :rolleyes:
May I respectfully suggest you might do better to give it a try on headphones or Echo "360" speaker as intended?

But coming back here to post you couldn't make it work or don't hear anything spatial and it's all hype would not be helpful. ;)
"Headphones only" got it.
(y)

are you trolling me now?
o_O

I don't think he is trolling anyone, I sense his outrage at having some really cool surround being issued (in an odd format), or dangled out in front of us, and yet not being able to just dive into it and (properly) play if fer fucks sake.

It is good that forum members can explain what this RA360 is about. I just don't think I am alone in thinking that it's not good.

Back