HiRez Poll Bowness, Tim & Giancarlo Erra - MEMORIES OF MACHINES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Tim Bowness & Giancarlo Erra - MEMORIES OF MACHINES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 reissue of the album "Memories of Machines" by Tim Bowness & Giancarlo Erra.
The album has been remixed in 5.1 surround by Giancarlo Erra (@nosound) and it is released as a CD/DVDA-V set via Kscope.

(y) :) (n)

802644871875.jpg

tim-bowness_giancarlo-erra_memories-of-machines_cd_dvd_2.png

61JuwOaxSJL._SL1200_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-cd-dvd-a-v-with-new-stereo-5-1-mixes.31563/

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this album for the first time.
Apologies that I did not pick it up when it was originally released, however, I guess that just goes to show the value a surround mix adds to a release.

The collaborative effort between Bowness & Erra could easily be mistaken for a no-man album in an extremely good way. Maybe no-man meets Nosound with a dash of Blackfield? It is hard for me to not associate Tim’s unique vocal stylings with no-man.

On my system, the mix comes across as immersive with selected instrumentation, effects, and occasional backing vocals discreetly in the rears. My favorite after the first listen is the closing track “Someone Starts To Fade Away”. It has this subtle electronic effect that sweeps from the right rear to right main that I really liked.

The digi pack did not come with a lyric booklet but that is forgiven given the low cost of this release. I am not sure there is a true menu on the disc, it booted up and played immediately for me. The screen has a static image of the cover with the typed track title changing out between songs. I ended up just turning the TV off.

Well done overall and thanks to Gincarlo & Kscope for revisiting this release in surround.

A very enthusiastic 9 in my book.

Thanks a lot! I do appreciate how important is surround, and also how it can help the details emerging...and I'm a big fun of immersive and non-special-fx surround mixes :) Indeed the DVD has two separate parts, one DVD-A autoplay with basic menu and has only LPCM surround, and one DVD-V part containing stereo hires, dolby and DTS. So to access DVD-V you need to switch the DVD to read the DVD-V side. Small inconvenient, but allows me to author still DVD-A nowadays and with modern software :)
Indeed lyrics not there but like the DVD authoring we wanted the music to be out and at decent price for everyone...I'm glad it's being noticed!

I bought the original cd when it was first available back in the day, but happily purchased again for the surround mix and it does not disappoint. This is the way to showcase a unique vocal while making sure the surround channels are utilized to maximum effect - creating a truly immersive sound bubble! Hopefully there will be more collaborations in the future. An easy 9 and strong recommendation to anyone who is a fan of surround and/or Tim Bowness's vocal style.

Just received my copy TODAY! A gorgeous immersive mix in LPCM 48/24 5.1 surround. When I inserted it into my player, the LPCM 5.1 tracks played immediately. Congrats to Tim and Giancarlo on revisiting this hauntingly beautiful album and taking the time and effort to offer this more than worthy UPGRADE.

Not to mention, the packaging is lovely, as well with plastic inserts holding the two discs firmly... and not flimsy 'inserts!

A 9

Just received my copy TODAY! A gorgeous immersive mix in LPCM 48/24 5.1 surround. When I inserted it into my player, the LPCM 5.1 tracks played immediately. Congrats to Tim and Giancarlo on revisiting this hauntingly beautiful album and taking the time and effort to offer this more than worthy UPGRADE.

Not to mention, the packaging is lovely, as well with plastic inserts holding the two discs firmly... and not flimsy 'inserts!'

A 9

Ah I'm glad someone appreciated the plastic inserts...it was a tough decision, as we needed to choose between a solid plastic case or a small booklet...and we chose the former as discs often get ruined/scratched (or with lots of paper microparticles that then go into the player) when not held by plastic inserts.

I'm glad you appreciated that the mix just starts directly, and that you liked it....as I said times and times again, it was a work of love, but definitely worth as I think now this album has the sound to which it belongs, both in stereo and surround :)

Ah I'm glad someone appreciated the plastic inserts...it was a tough decision, as we needed to choose between a solid plastic case or a small booklet...and we chose the former as discs often get ruined/scratched (or with lots of paper microparticles that then go into the player) when not held by plastic inserts.

I'm glad you appreciated that the mix just starts directly, and that you liked it....as I said times and times again, it was a work of love, but definitely worth as I think now this album has the sound to which it belongs, both in stereo and surround :)

A truly CLASS ACT all the way, Giancarlo and a refreshing diversion from LOSSY DTS/DD 5.1. And IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

A truly CLASS ACT all the way, Giancarlo and a refreshing diversion from LOSSY DTS/DD 5.1. And IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Thank you :) It surely does, they're there though for the ones who can't play hires DVD-A, together with the hires stereo for the ones without surround...so I'm happy that with this new "way" of authoring the discs we can afford to make them quickly and still containing everything for everyone's taste and equipment :)

Some surprises arriving soon….all surround…stay tuned ;-)
Yes! Bring it on.....
Enjoyed the recent...no, enjoying the recent offering.

Giancarlo, (nag ahead!) I just wanted to put in one more time for SOL29 in surround? I think it's a solid album. I, uh, promise not to bring it up again. :unsure:

Last edited:
Yes! Bring it on.....
Enjoyed the recent...no, enjoying the recent offering.

Giancarlo, (nag ahead!) I just wanted to put in one more time for SOL29 in surround? I think it's a solid album. I, uh, promise not to bring it up again. :unsure:

I'm afraid with Sol29 most of the multi track (apart from the title track I believe but only in parts) were sadly lost...so like the old times, the only thing we're left with is the stereo :) That I do like it because listening to it today I would definitely make it sound better...BUT I do not like that...I think early works with all their defects sounds right exactly for that reason.

So....I believe Sol29 will never be released in surround! But all the rest...has been released in surround.

I ordered today to Burning Shed Kscope, and thanks to the FLAC 5.1 download I was able to listen immediately :)

I didn't know the Memories of Machines collaboration, but I am familiar with the special voice of Tim Bowness, thanks to No-man and some other Tim solo albums.

Being all songs Tim Bowness voice centric, I think Giancarlo manage to do a very good surround mix for the Tim voice.

I do not like very much the mixing style of isolate the main vocals to the center channel. BUT in this Giancarlo mix the voice is spread in all front LCR, with almost nothing more than Tim voice in the center channel, but with enough voice extended to the LR. This sound marvelous. Also some extra kind of 'chorus voices' appear on the surrounds, and in some tracks the whole 5 channles contain the Tim voice surround us, sometimes "inside my head".

Also notice that there is no LFE content, according to some debate about it. So, it is a good 5.0 content.

It is not an aggressive or ping pong mix, but the surround sensation is good enough and it denotes a very well crafted work. Thank you Giancarlo.

I do not vote for a 10, because the overall music style, although I like it, it's a bit monotonous. Tim Bownes style. So it is a 9 for me.

I ordered today to Burning Shed Kscope, and thanks to the FLAC 5.1 download I was able to listen immediately :)

I didn't know the Memories of Machines collaboration, but I am familiar with the special voice of Tim Bowness, thanks to No-man and some other Tim solo albums.

Being all songs Tim Bowness voice centric, I think Giancarlo manage to do a very good surround mix for the Tim voice.

I do not like very much the mixing style of isolate the main vocals to the center channel. BUT in this Giancarlo mix the voice is spread in all front LCR, with almost nothing more than Tim voice in the center channel, but with enough voice extended to the LR. This sound marvelous. Also some extra kind of 'chorus voices' appear on the surrounds, and in some tracks the whole 5 channles contain the Tim voice surround us, sometimes "inside my head".

Also notice that there is no LFE content, according to some debate abput it. So, it is a good 5.0 content.

It is not an aggressive or ping pong mix, but the surround sensation is good enough and it denotes a very well crafted work. Thank you Giancarlo.

I do not vote for a 10, because the overall music style, although I like it, it's a bit monotonous. Tim Bownes style. So it is a 9 for me.

Thank you for your nice words. Obviously taste is personal, and any taste is good!

I just like that you actually pointed out several 'features' of what I think should be a good surround mix: first of all no ping pong, aggressive, or otherwise "I AM A SURROUND MIX!" mix thing....I hate it very much. Surround is there to make music sound even more natural than stereo, not to make it sound fake or special effects...so I very rarely isolate a single instrument in one channel or two, or do any sort of extreme panning across channels.

Over the years I also came to a very minimal usage of LFE, mostly because in poorly configured systems the LFE will be there already automatically assigned from main speakers. While in well configured systems, it means I'll have someone who knows what they're doing, with full size speakers and not much use of LFE if not for reinforcement here and there on very low frequencies.

And for vocals....I dislike equally all voice in center channel, and voice with weird effects everywhere...so I'm glad you noticed my attempt to strike some sort of balance.

I would just like to do more surround mixing for more artists, because I do enjoy it a lot and I think I could definitely improve lots of music around there...but hopefully I'll do more with time as artists get to know my name and works :cool: Thanks again for your nice words!

Back