RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you guys are gonna hate me for saying this but I'm seeing some sunken cost fallacy going on here
I think I know what that means, though not totally sure. If it's what I think, nah. I don't regret the purchase, nor over amplify the quality of the release to justify my purchase. I mean, I don't have to justify it with anyone except myself...and maybe my wife. lmao

So far, so good. Already paid for, so no concerns there. Obviously, it's fun to discuss things like this on a forum, in case others share in the joy of said purchase.

Apparently the 5.1 is new as well but I’m still not 100% sure
I was skeptical as well, but I just had a chance to compare the two and they are most definitely different. Check out the waveforms for "Tom Sawyer" below (I had to boost the 2022 remix 9 dB to level-match with the 2011).

"Tom Sawyer" (2011 MLP 5.1 Mix):
Tom Sawyer 2011.jpg

"Tom Sawyer (2022 TrueHD 5.1 Mix):
Tom Sawyer 2022.jpg

I wouldn't say Richard Chycki has suddenly transformed into an all-star surround mixer on the calibre of Elliot Scheiner or Steven Wilson, but this is definitely an improvement over the first attempt. It may seem like the 2011 mix had more activity in the rear speakers, though in reality most of it is content duplicated from the fronts (lead vocal, drums, guitar) plus some semi-discrete synthesizer washes and (way too much) reverb. The synth is fully-isolated in the rears on the new version, with very little drum or guitar signal back there. The center channel is used differently as well, primarily for dry snare and bass guitar.

I haven't heard the entire thing yet, but some of the problems of the first 5.1 mix are still evident (excessive reverb in the rears, Geddy's vocals can be a bit loud and harsh at times, etc). I also wish he'd taken more risks with the spatial positioning like Steven Wilson did with A Farewell To Kings, such as spreading the tom fills out to the rear speakers or moving some guitar parts back there if the moment called for it.

I am giving the Atmos a full go now after listening to the 5.1 DTS HD Mstr, currently listening to the Atmos at 77db.
I will not debate with anyone this is really fantastic, my only note is the ATMOS needs more turn of the volume louder to really feel it, whereas the 5.1 will blister your ears at same volume position, probably nature of the beast, more speakers to go through.
Who ever invented ATMOS, hats off man, what a great invention.

ok, FINALLY got to hear this. Definitely NEW, and IMPROVED 5.1 mix - plus, of course, the atmos! (It is a bit odd I find the DTS so much better than the Dolby 5.1. I would think they would be the same.)
I only have a 5.1 set up. On my setup - the Atmos mix plays with really great "air" and seems a fuller mix than the DTS 5.1, but both are great. The box itself is the MOAB (Mother Of All Boxsets), I will need some time to really enjoy this whole enchilada. Sprung to hear the new 5.1 mix. I know many of you love the stereo, and the original album mix is great and what I originally loved. But, everybody go to elevate from the norm. SO GLAD the blu ray still has a great copy of the stereo mix as well. No, Chycki hasn't made a mix as jaw dropping as the recent Beatles or Steven Wilson offerings, but this is really quite good and if you like the album, it is a real treat. Thank you

I was skeptical as well, but I just had a chance to compare the two and they are most definitely different. Check out the waveforms for "Tom Sawyer" below (I had to boost the 2022 remix 9 dB to level-match with the 2011).

"Tom Sawyer" (2011 5.1 Mix):
View attachment 78017

"Tom Sawyer (2022 5.1 Mix):
View attachment 78018

I wouldn't say Richard Chycki has suddenly transformed into an all-star surround mixer on the calibre of Elliot Scheiner or Steven Wilson, but this is definitely an improvement over the first attempt. It may seem like the 2011 mix had more activity in the rear speakers, though in reality most of it is content duplicated from the fronts (lead vocal, drums, guitar) plus some semi-discrete synthesizer washes and (way too much) reverb. The synth is fully-isolated in the rears on the new version, with very little drum or guitar signal back there. The center channel is used differently as well, primarily for dry snare and bass guitar.

I haven't heard the entire thing yet, but some of the problems of the first 5.1 mix are still evident (excessive reverb in the rears, Geddy's vocals can be a bit loud and harsh at times, etc). I also wish he'd taken more risks with the spatial positioning like Steven Wilson did with A Farewell To Kings, such as spreading the tom fills out to the rear speakers or moving some guitar parts back there if the moment called for it.

I don't have the new release. Just going by those graphs though, the new mix looks more dynamic if nothing else. The fronts on the old mix don't show much diff in max amplitude. The newer mix definitely shows more variation in the max amplitude. It's almost like the "loudness" button was on for the older mix. The older crowd will know what that means.

I find the DTS so much better than the Dolby 5.1
On all Blu Rays, the DTS HD Mstr is my go to, for me always fuller and richer.
The box itself is the MOAB (Mother Of All Boxsets),
Great line, I have to agree, and I got a lot of them, don't go to Starbucks and bring your lunch to work for two weeks, and boom, you have paid for this MOAB.

It is a bit odd I find the DTS so much better than the Dolby 5.1. I would think they would be the same.
On all Blu Rays, the DTS HD Mstr is my go to, for me always fuller and richer.
Undoubtedly, the mix and master is the same, and as both formats are lossless, the underlying data are identical. It comes down to differences in how your AVR (or pre/pro, decoder, etc.) handles DTS and Dolby codecs differently.

Undoubtedly, the mix and master is the same, and as both formats are lossless, the underlying data are identical. It comes down to differences in how your AVR (or pre/pro, decoder, etc.) handles DTS and Dolby codecs differently.
Interestingly enough, on the recent Kiss Destroyer Blu-Ray there actually was a difference between the DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD 5.1 streams. It's definitely the same mix/master, but the rear channels on the Dolby are ~3 dB quieter. I'd guess this was an unintentional mastering error?

PopMarket with 10 percent off coupon code. Got mine down to $242 net
Thanks for this lead—I went ahead and bit based on the discussion here (it's on backorder, but I'm not overly concerned). I don't love having to buy all of the extra vinyl that I'll never use or play, but this is a pretty good deal, especially in comparison to elsewhere.

From the very start when they mentioned there being a stand-alone Atmos download (the way I wanted to purchase this) I thought "yeah, I'll believe it when I see it", and AFAIK there has been no mention since the initial press release of that configuration (and I've been searching).

Back