TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang here's a shout out to anyone with Apple TV + that has started watching Pachinko:

I do not have Apple TV so I'm curious what others on the forum might think. It seems pretty epic & a cut above the more superficial stuff I might watch. I am familiar with some of the actors like Lee Min-Ho that starred in the Korean live action series City Hunter.

Since this is a series based on generations of Koreans eventually making it in America I was at first confused by the title Pachinko, which is a Japanese game of chance. Realizing that it starts out in Japanese occupied Korea I guess the name is pretty fitting.

Is content on Apple TV + eventually shared elsewhere? Or on disc? Geez, I guess I could always read the book....

I haven't seen Apple TV + content elsewhere or on disc, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've really enjoyed quite a bit of the programming.

I haven't seen Apple TV + content elsewhere or on disc, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've really enjoyed quite a bit of the programming.

I went sailing in the bay & saw that the 1st 5 episodes are available. Not my favored choice for acquiring entertainment. However in the past when I've sampled something with torrent sharing it almost always results in a legit purchase, if available, later on.

Michael Mann
HBO Max - April 7
TOKYO VICE

TOKYO VICE - HBO MAX

So far I've caught the first two episodes; and I'm very intrigued by this one. It stars Ansel Elgort (Jake) in 1999 as the first foreign-born journalist at the most prestigious Tokyo newspaper, in their Crimes department. I like his character in this as a young, smart and ambitious kid from Missouri working feverishly to succeed in the highly controlled press and hierarchical formal structured Japanese society.

Ken Watanabe as a detective in the organized crime division of the Tokyo police; takes Jake under his wing to help him navigate the world of the Yakuza.

Very addictive show for me, with a type of neon noir style, but with good character development and detailed story telling of something like "Better Call Saul"; but less tongue in cheek.

TOKYO VICE.jpg

OUTER RANGE
Amazon Prime - April 15th

Just watched episode 4 of Outer Range; when the closing credits came on I was a little shocked by how much the song below was in your face surroundy. Very loud prominent rears which rarely happens on a streaming show like this. Probably an up-mix (very wide spread), but never the less, effective!

The Essex Serpent
โ€” Official Trailer | Apple TV+
Tom Hiddleston and Claire Danes star.

The Essex Serpent starts on May 13, followed by one new episode weekly through June 10.

Good reminder Mr. Pupster. I loved the first season, spaced out the 2nd one. So I have a chance to catch up for S3. I would highly recommend this series on Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix:

https://mashable.com/article/netflix-ads-coming-end-of-2022
I see this as troubling; the online services are starting to slip in ad supported content. Take Bosch: Legacy as another example. I watched the first 4 episodes on Amazon Primeโ€™s โ€œsubโ€ service freevee, thatโ€™s set up specifically for that. Problem is, we pay a yearly fee, that used to be ad free for all content. How long before weโ€™re forced to watch ads for everything? My U-verse DVR has probably saved us years of our lives by fast forwarding over ads, maybe a recording device for streaming will be required in the future, but with delayed satisfaction coming with it. Our time is extremely valuable!

Just watched episode 4 of Outer Range; when the closing credits came on I was a little shocked by how much the song below was in your face surroundy. Very loud prominent rears which rarely happens on a streaming show like this. Probably an up-mix (very wide spread), but never the less, effective!

JP, JUST started BINGE WATCHING this AB FAB Amazon Prime 'Western' in 4K starring an amazing Josh Brolin and agree, the immersive 5.1 soundtrack with music from Supertramp, Springsteen et alia is SUPERB. Am on Episode 5. VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATION

See the source image

JP, JUST started BINGE WATCHING this AB FAB Amazon Prime 'Western' in 4K starring an amazing Josh Brolin and agree, the immersive 5.1 soundtrack with music from Supertramp, Springsteen et alia is SUPERB. Am on Episode 5. VERY HIGH RECOMMENDATION

See the source image
It just seems like these kind of shows do vary considerably as to how surroundy the music is. So when one does show up with apparent surround for effect in mind, itโ€™s a real pleasure to experience!

It just seems like these kind of shows do vary considerably as to how surroundy the music is. So when one does show up with apparent surround for effect in mind, itโ€™s a real pleasure to experience!

I am VERY impressed by the script, locales, performances and the extraordinary 5.1 immersive soundtrack of OUTER RANGE ...... Sorry I missed YELLOWJACKETS [SHOWTIME] which I understand is along similar lines. Too many GREAT shows streaming and SO LITTLE TIME!

Last edited:
Wow, JP, and ONLY $4.99 per month. But you can now expect gourmet meals and maybe Mrs. P will build you a dedicated media room with the "Fixer Upper'
segment!

https://get.discoveryplus.com/magno...work&msclkid=1a0bf3a2baea1f6085ca91dede70b1a7
Well I was shocked to see her watching it off our U-verse service, I'm not paying for it, so it must have been incorporated into our U-Verse package, because I thought for sure it was a Pay Channel!

What's that? Something to do with Best Buy?

Edit: BritBox rules the upstairs family tv around here. Cor. Blimey.
It's a spin off Lifestyle & Renovation channel from HGTV by Chip and Joanna Gaines, out of Wacko Texas (er sorry, Waco!)

Back