Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fire at UMG studios destroyed 118,000 to 175,000 audio master tapes. Notable bands that lost tapes where Kansas, Styx and Boston.

However, Kansas wasn't recording for Universal at the time they recorded Masque in 1975. They were on CBS's Kirshner label during the '70s so the band's multi-tracks from that period weren't involved in the Universal Fire (and might still be intact).

Last edited:
A fire at UMG studios destroyed 118,000 to 175,000 audio master tapes. Notable bands that lost tapes where Kansas, Styx and Boston.
You would be shocked at just how many original multitrack tapes have been lost or destroyed over the years - frequently just through poor organisation at record labels, and also when recording studios were fed up with storing tapes and record companies were too reluctant or inefficient to take them away or archive them properly. There are many albums I would really like to be able to mix but they just aren't available - frequently original stereo mix tapes are gone too.

Page has been involved with so many Led Zep re-releases, but seems to have avoided surround sound like the plague. Anyone know why, and is there any hope of their catalogue ever getting the surroud treatment?
There have been LZ releases in surround, but only the live stuff (Song Remains the Same, How the West Was Won, along with the live DVD set). So I don't think he is against the idea of it. In fact, I seem to recall tentative plans to release the 4th album in surround, maybe in the mid-1990s, but that may have only been a rumor and it never came to pass. Page just seems to have a hard time getting anything accomplished as far as releasing archive material (the other surviving members may be a roadblock as well). I predict someday we will see something as Atmos gains in popularity, but it will probably be many years off.

There have been LZ releases in surround, but ... I predict someday we will see something as Atmos gains in popularity, but it will probably be many years off.
I was just thinking as I wrote my post that maybe it won't be until the remaining three members are gone, and their kids agree to do a Hendrix/Zappa thing of releasing their Dad's stuff in every format imaginable for the cash. :(

Back