What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones………great surround sound!!

image.jpg

This is absolutely astounding in every way. I think she’s one of the best singer songwriters active today and a really unique talent. This particular title, on Blu ray with a small orchestra, is like a “Best Of, Live”. I’ve played it for people who have no experience with her at all and they’re smitten after the first song.

Beautifully filmed, recorded, mixed and performed. This is a hands-down tenner.

E33D0143-9AB3-4DEB-8FF5-838BBA08CEF9.jpeg

No Quarter Page and Plant Unledded. DVD DTS 5.1

Wow is this good. I found this in my stacks and realized I bought it years ago never cracked the cellophane.
These are great reworked catalog songs good performances with exotic instruments added all before they started getting old. Rear speakers are used.

German release (zone 16) of Metallica's 'Through the Never' - the only Blu-Ray version to be released in Atmos.

The video itself is very well done - staged and shot beautifully - and the performances are extraordinary. The sound recording and mix by Greg Fidelman of Music Mix Mobile (concert audio by long-time Metallica FOH engineer Mick Hughes) is exceptional, though I'm not sure who did the Atmos mix for this release. On-stage mix was by David Husby, Joseph Magee is listed as the Supervising Music Mixer, and there are seven (!) additional recording and mix engineers listed in the credits.

Anyway.., I really enjoyed the music and the overall production. But am I the only Metallica fan to wish they releasd a concert-only version of this show? A lot of work obviosuly went into it, and a full complement of film professionals, story board artists, actors, special effects etc in order to wrap the concert around a 'story' for the sake of dramatic presentation. Much of it detracts from the concert itself (which is part and parcel of the film, of course) so I found myself longing for a straight concert presentation utilizing all the great audio and video (film) production values.

That minor quibble aside, this is one of my new favorites. I hope my wife forgives me for cranking it while she was in the basement office trying to work. No floor or ceiling can keep my Focal Sub 6 from rattling the rafters ;-)

Attachments

• tempImagebbAA7h.png
    tempImagebbAA7h.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
EXCEPTIONAL disc on so many levels - the sound quality is excellent, the production - incredible. The scrim projections of the Battersea power station for the entire Animals portion of the set are worth the price of this disc alone.

And I did find the surround mix better which each listening...

One of my all-time favorites. The multi-purpose staging was so clever. Sound quality is excellent, love the giant ball in Growing Up, and the upside-down 'walk' on Downside Up.

Peter Gabriel rarely disappoints.
For sure he puts on a great show with that imagination. Walking in the giant ball was cool and I liked the way they did the song Mercy Street using the turntable stage. Picture and sonics are quite good as well. I lucked out getting this for $8 a few years back when HMV was going out of business up here.

For sure he puts on a great show with that imagination. Walking in the giant ball was cool and I liked the way they did the song Mercy Street using the turntable stage. Picture and sonics are quite good as well. I lucked out getting this for $8 a few years back when HMV was going out of business up here.

One of my favorite live discs. I was at the show and with all the great visuals, I was hoping it would get a video release. I read that the ball was created for Peter to roll around on the crowd (to replace his previous body surfing in the audience), but once they realized how heavy it was, they thought better of that due to liability.

I just finished watching The Black Crowes - Into the Fog (as well as a ton of other concerts that are on youtube) because, after resisting reading (drummer) Steve Gorman's book since it was published, he makes references to many of their live shows and it's fascinating to be actually sit down and watch it. It truly is a great time we live in that a guy can say 'We did a show in Köln...' and then 20 seconds later I'm watching that actual show. It also makes the book last a lot longer too. And not to digress away from concerts but the book is maybe the most fascinating account of dysfunctional, narcissistic behavior in a band that I've ever read. Steve Gorman wrote a fantastic book (while it took me almost 10 minutes to get the spelling of 'narcissistic' correct).

I just finished watching The Black Crowes - Into the Fog (as well as a ton of other concerts that are on youtube) because, after resisting reading (drummer) Steve Gorman's book since it was published, he makes references to many of their live shows and it's fascinating to be actually sit down and watch it. It truly is a great time we live in that a guy can say 'We did a show in Köln...' and then 20 seconds later I'm watching that actual show. It also makes the book last a lot longer too. And not to digress away from concerts but the book is maybe the most fascinating account of dysfunctional, narcissistic behavior in a band that I've ever read. Steve Gorman wrote a fantastic book (while it took me almost 10 minutes to get the spelling of 'narcissistic' correct).
Don't you have spellcheck? I have it on at all the time.:cool:

Back