Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for Radio City first mezz level (which is the best area in that venue).
Used the special link from Townsend Music.
The last time I saw PT was at Radio City is its quite a complete circle to see them once again there.
So glad its Radio City, super comfortable elegant venue with great sound.

I've got a pretty good slate of shows happening but Porcupine Tree takes precedence. I was invited to the Greek Theater show in Los Angeles with dear old record store friends so that's a sure thing. My son also a major PT fan wants to go to Chicago so that's in the bag. Been anxious to get back to NYC so I got a pair for Radio City Music Hall. where I saw Opeth in 2016. That show is a little close to the Chicago show date but I've done tighter schedules with SW shows.

Didn't see the 'no purchase necessary' link in the micro-hysteria to score tickets so I bought a cassette for each of the two shows. It's exclusive to this store only so it's going to be freaking rare and eBay will recover that cost and some of the ticket insurance as well. Thrilled to be going! :)

I finally had a chance to listen to the two released songs from the album off Apple Music on my AirPods Pro. The first song is fantastic and what makes this song so good is the drums. The second song, I thought was okay, but not great. It sounds like a Steven Wilson song from Hand Cannot Erase that was not used.

Really nice seeing them at work. I’m interested in the various guitars Wilson uses on this; looks like maybe an old beat up Telecaster for the clean electric parts, a PRS for the solos, but not sure what make that acoustic is.
Pretty sure he's playing bass on this track as well, though oddly they never cut to footage of it. It'll be interesting to see how they cover all these parts for the live shows, as in the old days you had Colin Edwin on bass and John Wesley playing lead guitar. Will they need to hire just one touring musician or two?

Certified wow! As soon as Richard comes in, the PT vibe announces itself. When Gavin starts playing it goes up several notches. When they cycle through those twisty chord progressions, you know this can ONLY be Porcupine Tree playing that! Goosebumps of anticipation for album and shows increase exponentially. :rocks

So, that’s two songs out of three that I’ve heard off the forthcoming album that sound like they were written during HCE, which is possible.
Only two singles from the forthcoming album have been released, "Harridan" and "Of The New Day". This is simply a live-in-the-studio performance of "Of The New Day", not an entirely new song.

Certified wow! As soon as Richard comes in, the PT vibe announces itself. When Gavin starts playing it goes up several notches. When they cycle through those twisty chord progressions, you know this can ONLY be Porcupine Tree playing that! Goosebumps of anticipation for album and shows increase exponentially. :rocks
Tim, I absolutely had the same thoughts when I listened. 100%, when Richard came in......I was like.....THIS can only be PT. Love it......I've missed this sound for so long!

Tim, I absolutely had the same thoughts when I listened. 100%, when Richard came in......I was like.....THIS can only be PT. Love it......I've missed this sound for so long!
Exactly. Over this long period of inactivity by the band, I unconsciously started to conflate the PT album sound with SW albums. Then when I heard this today, that shattered the notion completely. BLAM! There it is, the one and only catchy, twisted, existential angst in all it's glory. Very excited about this now.

EDIT: Had to go back to Harridan just now and yes, it does occur for me there in a different way. It bristles with Anesthetize energy no doubt, but Of The Day makes it crystal clear for me in a way that Harridan doesn't so much. [last seen blithering about the new tunes, checking his watch and counting it down]

Last edited:
Only two singles from the forthcoming album have been released, "Harridan" and "Of The New Day". This is simply a live-in-the-studio performance of "Of The New Day", not an entirely new song.
No wonder! I only listened to the two songs released once and thought this video was a sneak peek into a completely different new song. Now, it makes sense. Thank you!

Exactly. Over this long period of inactivity by the band, I unconsciously started to conflate the PT album sound with SW albums. Then when I heard this today, that shattered the notion completely. BLAM! There it is, the one and only catchy, twisted, existential angst in all it's glory. Very excited about this now.

EDIT: Had to go back to Harridan just now and yes, it does occur for me there in a different way. It bristles with Anesthetize energy no doubt, but Of The Day makes it crystal clear for me in a way that Harridan doesn't so much. [last seen blithering about the new tunes, checking his watch and counting it down]

Yep. And, recently I had actually been contemplating selling my Chicago PT tickets......but now I just cannot do that. Why would I even think of doing it? Well, Sept 20 is a terrible time for me as it's my busiest season at work.

Thanks for posting up the new song, BIG SMILE from me and so glad SW did not close the book on this side of his musical tree as I missed the PT music.

I understand the direction SW went in his past couple of solo albums and I could appreciate those albums but this Porcupine Tree stuff has got me way more excited again in SW music.

Too funny about myself, didn't realize as looking back a few pages and see this song(It's a new day) has been out a while already. When people comment sounds like Blackfield or left over song from Hand. Cannot. Erase. then for me I feel bring it on as having some more is great for my ears. I love Blackfield and HCE is my favorite SW solo album but I do really like the first 2 solo as well.

Back