Overpriced Vintage Equipment: You've gotta be kidding me!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my rambling...
My one and only Q8 player/recorder was made by Panasonic, I picked it up in the PX. Can not remember the model. Early Quad days. Maybe Quad Linda or some one else could jog the memory?

I never actually recorded anything but it had 4 RCA jacks for input, if I remember right. It also did not require an AVR as it evidently had the amps built in. The unit came with 4 large-ish bookshelf speakers.
I eventually put the speakers in my new Van when I got out of the Army. I believe at one time I had hooked up the van with an inverter supplying power to the deck, that I had sitting on the motor cover. I don't remember how well that worked, could have been a real nightmare playing the tapes on that type of power, I just don't remember, only that I eventually bought a Radio Shack cassette deck as I had so many LP's recorded to tape. The cassette's were mostly high end TDK of the time, SA I think? Super Avilyn or something like that.

Not really sure why I did not try to record with the Panny Q8, I did have a big Kenwood AVR ($555 on a gi's pay! About a grand retail the books said) with a CD-4 demod that plugged into the back, and of course the Thorenz had a shibata stylus for the CD-4's. Seemed like it should have worked OK if I had pursued it.
So much I just don't recall anymore though. Did they ever even make/distribute blank Q8's?

Most of my Quad stuff I bought at a military audio store, and later after leaving the service through an acquaintance on active duty at McDill AFB which was sort of close to me.

The audio store was my one and only face-to-face with one of those big Altec VOTT speakers. Loud! My oh my I freaked when they suddenly fired that joker up it was so loud in that basement store.

To nip the discussion here before it goes into a ten page rant, choosing a quad receiver depends on what you're going to play back on it, especially when it comes to quad records. There was no receiver that did QS, SQ and CD-4 perfectly in one unit. SQ was (and still is) the most difficult matrix scheme to get decoded properly and decoders ranged wildly in terms of their abilities. Marantz's and Pioneer's SQ decoders weren't all that great with a lot of unwanted artifacts during decoding. Sansui invented and held the patent on QS so you're only going to see logic decoders on their QRX units. Mind you that a lot of receivers had compatible 'RM' (Regular Matrix) decoders but logic is better than no logic. CD-4 demodulators varied greatly among units (some were completely manual in setup while others had automatic detection features). Of course you can always get external decoders/demodulators but that just means more junk to clog up your receiver's tape loop(s).

If I were in a desert island situation, I'd go with something from Sasnui's QRX-x001 line. All those receivers had decent (not perfect, but better than nothing) CD-4 demodulators, excellent second generation Vario-Matrix decoding, and a decent front/back logic-assisted SQ decoder to at least get you started (not perfect but still better than nothing). That's simply going the vintage route. If you're not too bothered with going modern just get a basic quad receiver with a CD-4 demodulator and at least one tape loop to attach a Surround Master. Said 'n' done.

But, you know, just for kicks, and because the price was reasonable three years ago (*), I bought an Akai AS-980 and had the local tech clean it up and calibrate it as much as he could.

That baby is 27 inches wide! I mean, modern AVRs go to 5 in the scale... big Marantzes and Sansuis go to 9 or 10... a stack of Audio Research stuff will go to 11, but that Akai, well... when 99.99% of audio devices stop at 21 inches. the Akai AS-980 puts in the CD-4 demodulator controls, and then keeps going and going with more controls. How does it sound you say? Well, it's in the closet, aka The Audio Museum, but I've had it up a couple of times and... well, lemme just say that it sure looked pretty and mighty impressive. ;-)

(*) The price of used components has gone bananas... when a Marantz 2325 ( yeah, I got one ) goes for more than an ARC VT200 MkII amp, well, it has become ridiculous. I wonder how much my 4215 with SQ1 module and wired remote control goes for nowadays?

Look at this! A Marantz 2215, In "perfect" working condition for only $1349.... %10 OFF... what a deal! I think I paid like $170 bucks at Hickam, on sale, back in '75 for the 2220B. Me thinks I should make this guy an offer for... hmm... $50 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324656674352?hash=item4b970bb630:g:WucAAOSwLrNgLFx2

Last edited:
My one and only Q8 player/recorder was made by Panasonic, I picked it up in the PX. Can not remember the model. Early Quad days. Maybe Quad Linda or some one else could jog the memory?

I never actually recorded anything but it had 4 RCA jacks for input, if I remember right. It also did not require an AVR as it evidently had the amps built in. The unit came with 4 large-ish bookshelf speakers.
I eventually put the speakers in my new Van when I got out of the Army. I believe at one time I had hooked up the van with an inverter supplying power to the deck, that I had sitting on the motor cover. I don't remember how well that worked, could have been a real nightmare playing the tapes on that type of power, I just don't remember, only that I eventually bought a Radio Shack cassette deck as I had so many LP's recorded to tape. The cassette's were mostly high end TDK of the time, SA I think? Super Avilyn or something like that.

Not really sure why I did not try to record with the Panny Q8, I did have a big Kenwood AVR ($555 on a gi's pay! About a grand retail the books said) with a CD-4 demod that plugged into the back, and of course the Thorenz had a shibata stylus for the CD-4's. Seemed like it should have worked OK if I had pursued it.
So much I just don't recall anymore though. Did they ever even make/distribute blank Q8's?

Most of my Quad stuff I bought at a military audio store, and later after leaving the service through an acquaintance on active duty at McDill AFB which was sort of close to me.

The audio store was my one and only face-to-face with one of those big Altec VOTT speakers. Loud! My oh my I freaked when they suddenly fired that joker up it was so loud in that basement store.
Panasonic Rs-858(and variations of the same machine) is the Q8 recorder, the only others are from Akai(I have the Akai Q8 deck). I think it's lots of fun home-recording Q8s, especially with content never released on Q8 and so much new surround content available. Last week I made Q8s of Beatles atmos quad downmixes, Planet Gong quad mix and The Guess Who SACDs, they all came out pretty good. There are blank tapes with removable slug in the upper left corner but I prefer to melt/polish the corners of standard carts and reserve the "quad" for only the rarest recordings. I've made over 50 Q8s in the last few months.

Are you sure the input wasn't just an AUX input? A lot of those things came as an integrated audio system.

I'm a bit younger than you... but I have very fond memories of the Hickam and Pearl Harbor Exchanges with their full blown audio stores. The prices were simply awesome and a teenager with a part time job, me, could have a good time in there. I'd become such a regular, buying records and oogling the stuff, that they'd give my a heads up about upcoming "sales".... My stereo sounded better than my dad's and his buddies, mostly because they could spend money (senior NCOs) that I didn't have.

And the boxes that kept coming while Dad would go on a WestPac.... I have the Sansui G7500 that he shipped over in around '77, from either Sasebo or Subic Bay. And the Akai quad reel to reel too!

When I was in the Air Force, I used to haunt the Audio Clubs while overseas. I bought a lot, too! I had the best quad system in the barracks! Sansui QRX-6500 receiver, Infinity speakers, Technics SL1100A turntable with Shure M24H cartridge, JVC 4DD5 CD-4 demodulator, and my pride and joy, Teac A-2340R quad R2R. It was SWEET! I wish I still had it all, but a few pieces "disappeared" during a move.

Wow! Guys, you bring me back to a wonderful, simpler time. I'll try to address several things discussed over the last few days.

1- Panasonic Q8 compact system. Never sold their compacts, just Technics and Technics Pro. I do recall seeing many in stores and booklets. Remember those? They made many variations on those w/Q8's. I considered buying one that was both a Q8 car-fi AND a home unit!

Instead, I bought Akai CR80-DSS, which I still have. It and Technics 858 were the only Q8 decks that played 2ch 8tk & Q8 and were 2ch & Q8 recorders. Any other Q8 machines that recorded did that only in 2ch, like Wollensak. I own an 858 w/clear bulbs for meters and an 847, same styling, same motor, no counter or meters and play-only.

A few Panasonic Quad gear pix at end of post. I don't recall any Panasonic 8-track compacts with record functions. Perhaps there was one I'm not aware of.

2- Tony mentioned those input jacks likely are aux in, perhaps intended for a integrated CD-4 demodulator/turntable which Panasonic made.

3- That Akai has more curb appeal than any modern gear. Those were made by Pioneer and similar to a line that Pioneer didn't market in the US. I've got a preamp and 2 power amps that don't look as cool.

4- We had Quad demoe'd with 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters, Pioneer scope and whatever Quad receiver or other speakers you wanted to hear.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/misc-panasonic-rs-888s.14310/
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/94383-panasonic-quadraphonic-8-track-player
https://i0.wp.com/web.archive.org/w...ww.8trackheaven.com/Images/quad_ad1.jpg?ssl=1

Since the 8-track was an endless loop... how did you figure out the "beginning of the tape"?

Such an obvious thing with LPs, cassettes and open reels, but not so with an 8-track... huh?

Are you sure the input wasn't just an AUX input? A lot of those things came as an integrated audio system.

I'm a bit younger than you... but I have very fond memories of the Hickam and Pearl Harbor Exchanges with their full blown audio stores. The prices were simply awesome and a teenager with a part time job, me, could have a good time in there. I'd become such a regular, buying records and oogling the stuff, that they'd give my a heads up about upcoming "sales".... My stereo sounded better than my dad's and his buddies, mostly because they could spend money (senior NCOs) that I didn't have.

And the boxes that kept coming while Dad would go on a WestPac.... I have the Sansui G7500 that he shipped over in around '77, from either Sasebo or Subic Bay. And the Akai quad reel to reel too!
AUX input? You know, it well could have been. I sure could not say with 100% conviction after all these years.
Well never have been to Hawaii but I took leave and went to Paris to sightsee and then W Germany and went to one of the audio stores. I had cash crammed everywhere I could get it on my person, afraid I was going to get rolled or lose my pack, lol.

Man you must have had a blast in Hawaii! You're right about prices....but then Spec4/Acting Jack E5's like me didn't make so much back when so the price breaks really helped.

When I was in the Air Force, I used to haunt the Audio Clubs while overseas. I bought a lot, too! I had the best quad system in the barracks! Sansui QRX-6500 receiver, Infinity speakers, Technics SL1100A turntable with Shure M24H cartridge, JVC 4DD5 CD-4 demodulator, and my pride and joy, Teac A-2340R quad R2R. It was SWEET! I wish I still had it all, but a few pieces "disappeared" during a move.
Yeah! A set of Infinity speakers is what I finally ended up with....I want to say 1001's?

Wow! Guys, you bring me back to a wonderful, simpler time. I'll try to address several things discussed over the last few days.

1- Panasonic Q8 compact system. Never sold their compacts, just Technics and Technics Pro. I do recall seeing many in stores and booklets. Remember those? They made many variations on those w/Q8's. I considered buying one that was both a Q8 car-fi AND a home unit!

Instead, I bought Akai CR80-DSS, which I still have. It and Technics 858 were the only Q8 decks that played 2ch 8tk & Q8 and were 2ch & Q8 recorders. Any other Q8 machines that recorded did that only in 2ch, like Wollensak. I own an 858 w/clear bulbs for meters and an 847, same styling, same motor, no counter or meters and play-only.

A few Panasonic Quad gear pix at end of post. I don't recall any Panasonic 8-track compacts with record functions. Perhaps there was one I'm not aware of.

2- Tony mentioned those input jacks likely are aux in, perhaps intended for a integrated CD-4 demodulator/turntable which Panasonic made.

3- That Akai has more curb appeal than any modern gear. Those were made by Pioneer and similar to a line that Pioneer didn't market in the US. I've got a preamp and 2 power amps that don't look as cool.

4- We had Quad demoe'd with 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters, Pioneer scope and whatever Quad receiver or other speakers you wanted to hear.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/misc-panasonic-rs-888s.14310/
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/94383-panasonic-quadraphonic-8-track-player
https://i0.wp.com/web.archive.org/w...ww.8trackheaven.com/Images/quad_ad1.jpg?ssl=1
Wow 4 VOTT speakers for testing on the job. I'm envious.
In the area I lived in after the Army there just wasn't anything for Quad equipment. All I could scarf up was shibata stylus from this place that primarily sold jewelry. I just happened by that little Sears-anchored strip mall one day and noticed a sign about TT parts and repairs, walked in and asked about shibata stylus and he did and I bought one to replace the one my daughter drug across the platter one day. Wasn't getting my CD-4 fix but he had the goods for remedy!
We had nothing, I mean nothing for Quad audio where I lived that I was aware of save the Radio Shack offerings. Ugh. Surely there was in Tampa but that was a bit away and I worked long hours for a few years to get us back on our feet after being gone a few years. I'd pick up a magazine with quad equip ads sometime but that was about it. Sure wish the internet was a thing back then!

AUX input? You know, it well could have been. I sure could not say with 100% conviction after all these years.
Well never have been to Hawaii but I took leave and went to Paris to sightsee and then W Germany and went to one of the audio stores. I had cash crammed everywhere I could get it on my person, afraid I was going to get rolled or lose my pack, lol.

Man you must have had a blast in Hawaii! You're right about prices....but then Spec4/Acting Jack E5's like me didn't make so much back when so the price breaks really helped.

The audio shops in the PX and Exchange were awesome.... they had all kinds of quad. I really wanted to buy a quad Sansui but I couldn't afford it so I ended up with a Marantz 2020B, Marantz 4Gs, Kenwood belt drive with a Pickering 625E and a Kenwood cassette deck -with Dolby! Plus a pair of Koss Pro4AA headphones. It was simply awesome.

High School in O'ahu was great, so long as you didn't get beat up by the locals... it was a tough place, I tell ya. We didn't go to the beach for a year though... Jaws was a terrible movie to watch.

The drinking age was 18 and the Senior Prom was in Waikiki. There'd be a bunch of buses at Radford and the kids got bussed to a hotel. Unfortunately my dad got rotated back to the mainland when I was still a junior... drinking age of 21... boy! I was mightly pissed off. And the CONUS Exchange couldn't carry the stuff, so I had to buy my next upgrade ( Kenwood integrated, Harman Kardon tuner, ADS L500s, Dual 710 with Stanton 681EEE) the hard way, in civilian stores... but, trust me, I always worked the sales and the deals. ;-)

The audio shops in the PX and Exchange were awesome.... they had all kinds of quad. I really wanted to buy a quad Sansui but I couldn't afford it so I ended up with a Marantz 2020B, Marantz 4Gs, Kenwood belt drive with a Pickering 625E and a Kenwood cassette deck -with Dolby! Plus a pair of Koss Pro4AA headphones. It was simply awesome.

High School in O'ahu was great, so long as you didn't get beat up by the locals... it was a tough place, I tell ya. We didn't go to the beach for a year though... Jaws was a terrible movie to watch.

The drinking age was 18 and the Senior Prom was in Waikiki. There'd be a bunch of buses at Radford and the kids got bussed to a hotel. Unfortunately my dad got rotated back to the mainland when I was still a junior... drinking age of 21... boy! I was mightly pissed off. And the CONUS Exchange couldn't carry the stuff, so I had to buy my next upgrade ( Kenwood integrated, Harman Kardon tuner, ADS L500s, Dual 710 with Stanton 681EEE) the hard way, in civilian stores... but, trust me, I always worked the sales and the deals. ;-)
I was trying to think of the model of the cassette decks I had...I had a 3 head Technics with what I'll call "touch" transport controls, very nice but sold it. The better Kenwood decks at the time I think were the A450 and A350 or something like that. I had the 350, kept it for years and always worked fine. Some of this stuff I bought while active duty, some via other active duty guys when I got out, order of which isn't always retained in memory.

I had to really scrounge to buy the stuff I did. My Father in law griped about what he saw as "money wasted".
Father in law thought everything was always hunky dory in the military 'cause "three hots and a cot". lol. Well I didn't always have even that but my wife was cool with my audio buying.
Maybe he was right. I really miss those C rations! Especially the 4 cigarettes in every box, enough toilet paper to wrap around 2 fingers and those absolutely delightful canned crackers.
Good stuff, @Sal1950

Back