Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally did it!
Here is the first "real" demo video of the first mk-III unit.
i'm still waiting for the cabinets... If it takes too long i might change my mind and have my cabinets made elsewhere...
Today i bought a tinted 3mm plexiglass sheet to make the windows myself.
The highly reflective clear leds where difficult to film in ambiant light without anti-glare window.
Maybe tomorrow...
The grey buttons can be changed for the colour of your choice: Grey, Black, White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red and Purple.
But for now, let's watch this quick video!
:51QQ

What kind of trade in value do you offer on a Wurlyscope mk-I ? :cool:

I finally did it!
Here is the first "real" demo video of the first mk-III unit.
i'm still waiting for the cabinets... If it takes too long i might change my mind and have my cabinets made elsewhere...
Today i bought a tinted 3mm plexiglass sheet to make the windows myself.
The highly reflective clear leds where difficult to film in ambiant light without anti-glare window.
Maybe tomorrow...
The grey buttons can be changed for the colour of your choice: Grey, Black, White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red and Purple.
But for now, let's watch this quick video!
:51QQ

I kinda liked “Outward (Normal) Mode”
So what does that say about me? :unsure:

Hi All!

Today's task: sorting resistors for extreme precision in order to get perfectly matched pair and quatuor of amplifier modules.
Because that's where the magic happen! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 28
Did you ever notice that when sorting resistors that way if you hold your fingers on the resistor body for too long the resistance changes? With 1% and even 0.5% tolerance resistors readily available and not too expensive, I wouldn't bother with that level of matching. I do however admire your desire and determination to execute such precision!

Did you ever notice that when sorting resistors that way if you hold your fingers on the resistor body for too long the resistance changes? With 1% and even 0.5% tolerance resistors readily available and not too expensive, I wouldn't bother with that level of matching. I do however admire your desire and determination to execute such precision!
All resistors are 1% precision which is good. However my sorting tests showed that in reality it was more like 2% than the 1%rated. :cautious:
Remember: everything is analog and i didn't want to put some adjustment trim-pot everywhere that could vary with time and cause troubles.
In my design, some precise dc bias levels have to be carried out through many op-amp stages and the precision of the resulting dc (and ac) is key.
I spent the whole weekend sorting out few thousands resistors for key components. o_O
For example i may have to test up to 20 resistors before i get 4 of exactly the same value. It's a tedious but necessary job.
For the 150k resistors, my sorting is 0.066% precision while for the 100k resistors it's 0.1% precision.

Besides this precision will ensure a good and stable performance of each and every units for years to come.

So how much longer you think before we get our units?

This looks awesome.
HI!
I will have the first mk-II unit up and running in a couple of days. I Can't wait to show you it's capabilities. :cool:
The mk-III is working perfectly. I need to finish the first mk-II before starting assembly of all remaining units.
Both models use the same comparator and amplifier modules. Since they work properly in the mk-III, they will also in the mk-II.
The last thing i want is having to replace parts on completed units to correct or optimize performances...:poop:
As you know i work very hard to finish this project asap.
This week I will also prepare a colour demo to make you choose which option you want as i need to order a lot of LEDs very soon. 💡💡💡
Today's picture show the comparator module 8-ch pack and the amplifier module 8-ch pack of the first mk-II.
These modules are tested and are perfectly matched to ensure each of the 8 ch will behave exactly in the same manner.
Nylon standoffs, nuts and bolts guarantee perfect spacing between modules so they fit perfectly on the main pcb.

Attachments

• IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4626.jpeg
    IMG_4626.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4624.jpeg
    IMG_4624.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the ingenuity and hard work. ;-)

This is better than Lava Lamps.... (*), next project, how about a color organ controller?

(*) I think I broke my lava lamps... I put LED bulbs in them and now they don't seem to work. ;-)

The first tests of the first mk-II :cool:
Still some tune-up to do but i wanted to show it to you anyway.
In this video, all the 8 channels are green and the fields are blue.
First i put a signal on ch 1 thru 4 (green) and then i put some signal on the 5th channel (front) which is also green.
It won't be long before i make a full demo.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4644.MOV
    38 MB
I honestly have no clue what it does, what purpose will it serve nor how will I use it.

But, it has lots of lights, lots of buttons, lights of cables and it's one more box on the shelf.... so what is there not to love about the Wurlyscope? And I do have a 7.1 decoder in the HT so that might be fun... a bit distracting from watching the movie yes... but most movies are just not interesting... hmm... Fox broadcasts the baseball and football in surround, huh?

Maybe I'll watch the Angels with the Wurleyscope on and see what it does on a homerun.

BUT, one thing.... it's not the Signature! What I'm I gonna do? Can you please sign it before you ship it? ;-)

Admit it... you're having one hell of a fun time... I know I will when I get my hands on one.

Question, if I drove four channels... with stereo up front and a Dolby like rear surround effects... what will the display do?

Now, maybe if I put fluorescent lamps in the lava lamps... you think they might work? 🙃

Hi All!

I got news from my cabinet maker...
He haven't started work yet... :mad:
So i canceled him and i will take care of the cabinets.
I will buy a router with table and build them myself. :cool:

Sorry for all this unnecessary delay.

Back