Help on Ripping and converting dts-CD today.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kal Rubinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I've done some searching and read a number of guides but still have not been successful in doing this with one of my favorite dts-CDs, a dts Entertainment disc of Tchaikovsky's Suite No. 3 (Boult). I have Jriver, EAC, dbPowerAmp, xRecode 3, AudioMuxer and Music Media Helper but, so far, no luck. I can get a playable stereo file or I get unplayable 4channel or 5.1channel hiss files.

Is there a coherent way to do this (or can someone just help me out with the files)? Thanks.

I've done some searching and read a number of guides but still have not been successful in doing this with one of my favorite dts-CDs, a dts Entertainment disc of Tchaikovsky's Suite No. 3 (Boult). I have Jriver, EAC, dbPowerAmp, xRecode 3, AudioMuxer and Music Media Helper but, so far, no luck. I can get a playable stereo file or I get unplayable 4channel or 5.1channel hiss files.

Is there a coherent way to do this (or can someone just help me out with the files)? Thanks.
Its been quite a while since I had to do this, but I'll throw my suggestion out there anyway.

The hiss file is a .wav file, correct? If so that is likely the un-decoded DTS stream. Something with a DTS decoder should play it. VLC maybe?

I think I converted them to FLAC using Foobar. It will need the DTS plug-in installed.

I'm sure someone will correct this if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Howdy Kal, I believe the way I do it is by converting from Foobar 2000 with the dts plug-in and the 4 channels / 5.1 show up in the resulting wav files.

Last edited:
Thanks. Guess I'll have to download and install foobar.............just for this. Was trying to avoid that.

Or you could just use foobar (or any CD ripper) to rip it and then use AudioMuxer to convert it to flac or some other friendly format.

For anyone who's interested, DTS-CD's can be backed-up by any regular audio CD ripping software, even 'Windows Media Player'. My personal preference is CUERipper (v2.1.7) as it offers the ability to back-up individual tracks or merge the tracks into one long continuous track, along with a .cue navigation file.

However, because the dts audio streams have been placed within the .wav container (to make the disc 'red book' CD compliant) some software players are unable to decode the dts.wav contained files, hence the hiss.

@Kal Rubinson. What device do you use to play your audio files? I use an OPPO UDP-203 which can play almost everything. If your playback device can't decode dts audio bit-streams, then you will have to re-encode them into an audio format that it can decode ;)

I believe you do have to add the dts decoder, I’ll look for a link soon unless someone beats me to it
Thanks but I downloaded all and it worked. It seems that the disc has 3 different channel formats (2, 4 and 6) and I was getting, randomly, files labelled 2 or 6 channel but always containing 2.
Until foobar which told me about the 3 formats and, on the second try, got me the 6 channel I wanted as well as a stereo (also labelled as 6 channels but of higher rez).

So, I wasted a day on this but, at least, I do not have to admit defeat.
Something that foobar does that jRivier doesn't?
Apparently. JRiver's conversions are generous in the "to" category but not in the "from."
Or you could just use foobar (or any CD ripper) to rip it and then use AudioMuxer to convert it to flac or some other friendly format.
Perhaps but it didn't work for me.
@Kal Rubinson. What device do you use to play your audio files?
JRiver feeding multichannel DACs.
If your playback device can't decode dts audio bit-streams, then you will have to re-encode them into an audio format that it can decode ;)
Yup and that's what I did. I converted them to mch FLAC.

Thanks but I downloaded all and it worked. It seems that the disc has 3 different channel formats (2, 4 and 6) and I was getting, randomly, files labelled 2 or 6 channel but always containing 2.
Until foobar which told me about the 3 formats and, on the second try, got me the 6 channel I wanted as well as a stereo (also labelled as 6 channels but of higher rez).

So, I wasted a day on this but, at least, I do not have to admit defeat.

Apparently. JRiver's conversions are generous in the "to" category but not in the "from."

Perhaps but it didn't work for me.

JRiver feeding multichannel DACs.

Yup and that's what I did. I converted them to mch FLAC.
Kal 1, dts-CD 0

Well now that you've said it's one of your fav. titles, I'll have to get me one (y)

How about a peer check:
- is the playing device set to bitstream?
- is the amp source input set to 'digital'.

No offense, but I have been through the same situation before so I thought it couldn't hurt!
I don't recall how I did the initial rip (EAC maybe?) from DST disc to FLAC., but I need to make sure the settings are correct to play them.

I found great advise here, as I will now do the foobar conversion on the files so that I don't have to reset the settings when I play them!

I don't have the Tchaikovsky's Suite No. 3 , but I have Debussy La Mer - Nocturnes from the same series and just confirmed I could rip it with foobar2k and then convert it to flac with AudioMuxer. I used the File/Open CD/Rip menu with Output Format = WAV in foobar2k to do the rip and then the Tools/Audio Conversion/Select Audio menu in AudioMuxer. I do have the ArcSoft DTS decoder installed in AudioMuxer; so maybe that makes a difference. When the WAV files are loaded in the Audio Conversion tool, it will recognize them as DTS WAV files if all is working. Here is a screen shot:

LaMer-Nocturnes.png

Back