All Five Horizons... Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the whole, explicit album in Atmos:
https://tidal.com/album/215222354
Very causal PJ fan here. Gave it a listen, didn't seem like a very adventurous mix (only listened to the core 5.1, to be fair).

There's pretty much nothing in the center channel, the rears usually get vocal and synth reverb and some guitars. There are some fun moments like Good and Evil and Rose of Jericho where I could hear some discrete guitars in the rears. The first track also sounds very spacious with the reverb fed to the back. At other times though, it sounds like big stereo.

Wasn't very impressed with the album on first listen, especially the second half which had a share of downright embarrassing tunes that almost had me reaching for the remote (Try and the EJ duet). Much prefer Gigaton, album and mix-wise.

Have only listened to the first 3 singles off of Earthling and I do really like “Brother The Cloud.” I have been a huge Pearl Jam fan since 1991, but I must admit that the last Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder album that I truly enjoy is the Into The Wild soundtrack.

If I had to guess without any idea, I would say Josh Evans. But maybe someone knows for sure.

Josh Evans, to confirm? Correct me if I'm wrong PJ fans, but this mix is wayyyy more conservative than the PJ albums he's done, right?

Again, JOHN Hanes. Also, I found the Earthling Atmos mix is better if you crank the surround speakers way up.

haha, oh my goodness. I'm not sure why I can't see that. Sorry, geez I'm really trying to will it into existence.
John Hanes, that's it.
I'll listen again. I really liked the music, and think Andrew Watt is a fantastic producer. What a dream for him to be able to work with his heroes, and shine. Seems like he'll be producing the next PJ album.
Thanks @Strilo, I appreciate your love of PJ.

Public Service Announcement: the issues with some of the Atmos tracks on the No Code album have been fixed. In My Tree and Smile no longer have the first few seconds missing.

Public Service Announcement: the issues with some of the Atmos tracks on the No Code album have been fixed. In My Tree and Smile no longer have the first few seconds missing.
Curiously, the 360RA release did not have those issues from the beginning.
On the other hand, they're slightly different mixes as there's no isolated vocal tracks in the center channel, they're mixed into the fronts.

I am sure it was a technical glitch when the Atmos mix was put on Apple Music, not anything to do with the original Atmos mix files themselves. Apple probably just had to "reimport" the songs.

Back