Dolby Atmos Car Play

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I found a few posts on various non-QQ forums (Google search) where users have mentioned listening Atmos in their cars.

I found this interesting article that discusses how to get Atmos playback in your vehicle which may be relevant if you have a car with mutltichannel audio like the Ford B&O systems (I’ve recently ordered a Ford Everest 2022 here in AU):

https://stereoupgrade.com/dolby-atmos-carplay/
I‘ll give this a test as soon as I get access to a new next-Gen Ford Ranger or Everest when they hit dealers in next couple of months. So far I’ve had no success playing 5.1/quad from FLAC files in a 2022 Ford Mustang with B&O but US Ford F-150 owners with B&O can play Atmos via Apple Car Play.

I found a few posts on various non-QQ forums (Google search) where users have mentioned listening Atmos in their cars.

I found this interesting article that discusses how to get Atmos playback in your vehicle which may be relevant if you have a car with mutltichannel audio like the Ford B&O systems (I’ve recently ordered a Ford Everest 2022 here in AU):

https://stereoupgrade.com/dolby-atmos-carplay/
I‘ll give this a test as soon as I get access to a new next-Gen Ford Ranger or Everest when they hit dealers in next couple of months. So far I’ve had no success playing 5.1/quad from FLAC files in a 2022 Ford Mustang with B&O but US Ford F-150 owners with B&O can play Atmos via Apple Car Play.

"Any CarPlay speaker can be used in coordination with Dobly Atoms"

Article loses all credibility due to lack of ability to spell.

As far as I can tell, the instructions the author provided are just the basic instructions to enable Dolby Atmos playback on iPhones... there is nothing unique to CarPlay in the instructions. Back in September when I got my new vehicle (2022 Acura MDX A-spec), I tried both wired and wireless CarPlay and there was no Atmos / multichannel support. I'll have to give it another try, but I don't think Acura's ELS Studio lineup is currently supporting Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:
I’ve also read it depends on having a recent iPhone model and specific iOS versions (with the usual iOS ‘broken’ versions between working versions). At least one of the ios 15 releases didn’t work so you may need to check/search online (a pain).

I will give it a try some day. My iPhone does have the Dolby Atmos selection enabled and my 2021 Challenger can play CarPlay with the UConnect head unit.
Having just spent 3 months building a true 5.1 system in the car, I am pretty burned out at the moment, way harder than when I built my Dolby Atmos room.
I start off as a non believer, like how can it be without speakers in the headliner, and getting the headliner on and off is hard but doable. The thickness of the likely midrange and tweeter to go in the headliner would be a problem, would have to make custom pods for the height.
Sounds like a thing for factory build.
I did order the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 19 speaker system from McIntosh, 4 month wait, 2 months to go. If there ever was a system to have the Apple Car Play work with Spatial Audio I guess that would do the trick.
For my Challenger 5.1 system, besides all the amps, speakers, sub etc this unit is the brain.
Amazon.com: Digital-to-Analog Audio Converter, Using 24 Bit/192KHz Audio DSP 5.1 Audio Decoder, Digital SPDIF Coaxial Toslink to Analog Stereo RCA L/R + 3.5mm Jack Audio Converter : Industrial & Scientific

My pre-ordered Everest doesn’t have height speakers but I’d be happy listening to Atmos content in 5.1 or 7.1.

the Bang and Olefson system in my Audi plays multi channel music with the source being flac files on a USB stick. My IPhone 12 is not capable of using the B&O to play multi channel\ATMOS music through AppleCar play ( neither wired or wireless) despite the fact that it can play stereo ones Wireless through AppleCarplay.

It doesn’t appear that Acura will be getting Atmos support in the near future.

Attachments

• C5C57185-6698-42E0-A09E-9FD69EB101A9.jpeg
    C5C57185-6698-42E0-A09E-9FD69EB101A9.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 44
CarPlay only outputs in 16bit, up to 48kHz. There is no way it can output multichannel surround, let alone Atmos. And I agree with cheezmo, article loses all credibility with the repeated misspell of atmos, and Dolby. Eddy Cue even said it is not possible currently, when interviewed.

Streaming Atmos is lossy 16 bit which can easily be supported by iPhones. The Lightning/USB C is in the multi gigabit per second vs Steaming Atmos at 768kbps.

Back