What is your, "I need another set of this, like I need another hole in my head"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene_stl

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
@4-earedwonder posted the statement, "always room for another set of Beethovens nine symphonies" and I just got yet another set on DVD-A.
There are several mostly classical things where the voices in my head say, "you don't need another set or one of these." of course since this frequently occurs at Half Price books and the price is pennies I always manage to ignore the voices. (sometimes they do have great ideas :LOL: :LOL: ) And they have started piping up when I pick up Hendrix, the Who and other Rock bands that I like (pre 1971). I manage to ignore them there too.

Here in no particular order and subject to additions from later memory are a few of mine:

1) Beethoven's nine symphonies
2) Bach Brandenburgs
3) Carl Orff Carmina Burana
4) Vivaldi's Four seasons
5) Bach Goldberg Variations
6) Anything by the Who (large collection but just got "Live at Kilburn" which I had never even heard of, except I already HAD live at Kilburn on BluRay and now I have it on 2xDVD too. Also just found a two CD Mono and Stereo release of "The Who sell out")
7) Anything by Jimi Hendrix (They keep releasing new "previously unreleased" stuff and if you saw Jimi and had his first four albums when they came out hard to resist especially in HiRez, multi channel, and video)
8) Could probably add the Beatles, but the voices don't even bother.
9) Certain Trios like Mendlessohn and Schubert, though the voices also don't bother much, because they know they are going to get ignored
10) Ditto any disc from Jascha Heifetz especially higher than CD res. (looking with malevolent intent at CD collection of complete works)
11) Handel's Messiah
12) Handel's Water Music
13) Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.
14) Telarcs, Sheffield Labs, Reference Recordings. MoFi (I like those labels well enough that I have been known to pick up CDs of music that is not my favorite because the recording quality will be good.)
15) Modest Moussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition.

If I find something that I like and it has more than one disc I do indulge in complete-itis.

Last edited:
For me it would have to be “Dark Side Of The Moon”. I’m sure there are many other members here that share the same affliction as evidence from this thread The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased DSOTM" Thread/Poll
Anyway here is my list again.

US stereo LP

Harvest Japan CD black label

MFSL Ultradisc

20th anniversary box

Capitol SACD

Immersion box

Analog Products SACD 2003

Analog Products SACD 2021

And I am sure I would buy it again if they release an Atmos version.

Just walked into a local record/cd shop and they had a beck "sea change" dvda for cheap. Even though i have it , I now have another copy. I have done this several times with dvda, but have never seen any sacd or bluray surround stuff in a local shop. Every time I see a surround disc out in the field I will get it regardless. This includes Q8's

Last edited:
Great thread, Gene! Very dangerous for any hard core collector...

1) Beethoven's nine symphonies
bought several individual LP's & CD's, here are the complete sets I bought:
DG Berlin/Von Karajan '70's cycle LP box (IMHO, best sonics & performance), DG Berlin/Von Karajan '80's cycle CD box (competent, but sterile), DG Berlin/Von Karajan '70's cycle CD box, (vinyl sounds better), Berliner Staatskappelle/Barenboim DVD-A

2) Bach Brandenburgs
CBS 2 SQ Anthony Newman, 2 LP US promo Carlos - Switched-On Brandenburgs, Philips Academy of St. Martins/Marinner 2 German CD (bulls-eye era), Carlos on CD in Switched-On Box Set, plus Switched-On Bach CBS Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed LP, CD, and again on CD in Switched-On Box

http://www.thefirstpressingcdcollection.com/2012/12/johann-sebastian-bach-brandenburg.html
3) Carl Orff Carmina Burana
CBS SQ Tilson-Thomas/LSO $2.99 classical new release LP of the month, Telarc LP Shaw/Cincinnati, Telarc CD Shaw/Cincinnati, A&M German CD Ray Manzarek, Telarc 2ch SACD Shaw/Cincinnati, Telarc 5.1 Hybrid SACD Runnicles/Atlanta, Quad Hybrid SACD D-V (Sony) Tilson-Thomas/LSO

4) Vivaldi's Four seasons
Telarc CD Ozawa/Boston, Delos CD Schwarz/LA Chamber Orch (spectacular 2ch performance), Telarc SACD 2ch Ozawa/Boston, Delos 5.1 SACD Quarta/Moscow String Quartet, D-V (Sony) SACD Quad Zuckerman/English Chamber Orch

5) Bach Goldberg Variations
Zenph (Sony) SACD surround and 2ch binaural re-performance Glenn Gould
my only copy!?!

https://www.discogs.com/release/639...ance-The-Goldberg-Variations-1955-Performance
I'll comment on the rest of your list and some of my own when I get more time.

Fun, fun, fun...

For me, it's "always room for another Mahler cycle" and "always room for another set of Beethoven quartets." Okay, and early Stravinsky ballets (Firebird, Rite of Spring, Petrushka). After that, it's on a case-by-case basis. But when Donald Fagen eventually stops touring, still needs income, and finally authorizes the release of remastered box sets with Atmos mixes, more soundboard recordings from live performances, and whatever outtakes and demos have miraculously survived fire, plague, and deliberate destruction (by the label and/or the creators), then he can just set up a direct debit link to my bank account.

6) Anything by the Who (large collection but just got "Live at Kilburn" which I had never even heard of)

I could probably write an encyclopedia on the Who alone.

Tommy (all orig album, except as noted):
US cassette (black plastic), US cassette (clear plastic case, different order!), 2 US LP, Ode Symphonic 2 Q8, 2 Ode QS, 1 Ode CD, 2 LP Movie sdtk, 2 CD Japan movie sdtk, 2 German CD (bullseye era), MoFi Gold CD (different Eyesight than all others except 1st pressing UK LP), 2 CD yellow RCA Broadway sdtk, 2 hybrid SACD 5.1, DVD-A, super deluxe box, 2nd super deluxe box DVD-V movie & BD movie
Unless I've forgotten some, 17 copies of Tommy in various versions

Who's Next Can't wait for super ultra deluxe for-suckers-only box set! IMHO, their best!
cassette, UK LP (best analog), German CD (bulls-eye era BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL), US CD, US MCA Gold CD, US expanded CD, US 2 CD expanded, Japan SHM-SACD
8 copies so far. Hopefully, the next one will be the best!

Quadrophenia
cassette, US 2 LP, US 2 LP Movie sdtk, 2 US CD, MoFi Gold 2 CD, Japan 2 CD movie sdtk, super deluxe, Japan 2 SHM-SACD (orig. mix.), 2nd super deluxe w/complete 5.1 mix

...more 'oo to come...

Beatles boxes and complete collections:
Blue UK LP box, Red mono UK LP box (incl Abbey Road & Let it Be foldover mixes), MoFi 1/2 speed LP Collection, US individual CD's, US individual purple LP's (last 2ch LP pressings of orig US), UK rolltop desk 2ch CD box, US CD singles, US CD EP's, Anthology 6 CD box w/slipcase, Anthology DVD box, 4 CD US V1, 4 CD US V2, US 2ch CD box, Japan mono CD box, US albums CD box (2ch & mono), Sgt. Pepper, White album, Abbey Road & Let it Be super deluxe

And in these inflationary times it's always mighty gratifying to find bargains in music .... and films! I've been purchasing back~up copies for pennies on the dollar [I don't store my music on computer] in case of laser rot. Just added three Elton John Multi~CH SACDs which I purchased from Deep Discount for under $8 each [with their 10/15% off coupon codes] and unlike the domestic versions these were pressed in the EU and Austria [making them 'psychologically' perhaps sound better] and the Getz Gilberto Stereo SACD for a similar price. And during DD's recent MQA~CD 'blow out' sale, I was able to purchase the DGG and DECCA UHQ MQA~CDs of the Beethoven Piano Sonata series performed by Wilhelm Backhaus and the Amadeus Quartet performing the Beethoven String Quartets series for under $9 each [they're still listed at CDJapan for $25 each with that dreaded DHL s/h charge] and a couple of VENUS JAZZ Single layered Stereo SACDs for $15 each [still priced at $40 and above at Acoustic Sounds/CD Japan].

And then I've been upgrading my BD~V films to UHD4K ........ and in almost EVERY instance, the uptick in quality is awesome! And if you're into 3D flicks and have a LG capable 3D OLED monitor .... you're in for a treat as almost every 3D movie I have looks spectacular on the LG OLED 3D TVs ... Just watched the AVENGERS last night in 3D and checking the prices at Amazon, you can actually purchase that 3D 4 disc set USED in VERY GOOD condition for under $10.

And I do have 3 copies of the Beatles LOVE album because for under $16 for the MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD set, WHY NOT?

Not to mention the 18 192/24 STEREO/MONO DVD~As I recently purchased from HDTT replicated 'mostly' from 15ips Tapes of classic and obscure JAZZ recordings from Columbia, Riverside, Verve, RCA et alia which sound simply amazing. They're NOT replicating DVD~As anymore so I had to take advantage of these sonic treasures!

And like humprof, I have multiple box sets of the Beethoven Nine Symphonies*, the Mahler and Sibelius cycles and am about to add the newly recorded 7 disc DGG set of Strauss to my collection....all different interpretations by world class conductors/orchestras! * In fact, just added Michael Tilson Thomas' recent Beethoven Nine cycle [conducting the world class Berliner Philharmoniker orchestra] to my collection...5 disc box set of Multi~CH SACDs!

And the BEAT goes on .... and ON!

Last edited:
I have been interested in the Zenph Glenn Gould rerecording. I have the Oscar Petersen and Sergey Rachmanianoff CDs. They have a binaural headset version included.

The Rite of Spring could have been added to my above list. I don't know how many of those I have.

Last edited:
A while back someone posted either here or at ASR that 3D monitors were no longer available. Are any of the above mentioned LG OLED screens 3D.

I have a Samsung 3D which is going to be moved to the multi channel setup. and replaced in the bedroom. I am the only one in the house interested in 3D.

A while back someone posted either here or at ASR that 3D monitors were no longer available. Are any of the above mentioned LG OLED screens 3D.

I have a Samsung 3D which is going to be moved to the multi channel setup. and replaced in the bedroom. I am the only one in the house interested in 3D.

Yes, my LG OLED 3D Curved TV was purchased in 2016 the last year, AFAIK, when LG and/or other manufacturers stopped making 3D enabled monitors.

Yes, my LG OLED 3D Curved TV was purchased in 2016 the last year, AFAIK, when LG and/or other manufacturers stopped making 3D enabled monitors.
So, in light of the title of this thread, are you two planning on buying three or four additional 3D monitors? :sneaky:

Back