HiRez Poll Guy, Buddy - DJ PLAY MY BLUES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Buddy Guy - DJ PLAY MY BLUES

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 SACD on the JSP Label. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• guy front.jpg
    guy front.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 257
  • guy back.jpg
    guy back.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 254
A 10! This disc makes me doubt my steadfast conviction that dvd-a sounds better than sacd. Great sound. It's recorded live but you can't tell - there is no audience noise. I'm not a collector of blues but I'd say if you wanted to have one blues disc in your collection this is the one. The selection of tunes is perfect. The guitar work is amazing. The mix is good - nothing screwy. I always thought I had to be in the mood for blues but that doesn't matter here. Just throw it on and enjoy.

i'm pretty fond of the jsp series of surround discs. i have five and there's not a clinker in the bunch - - they all share a similar discreet mix and warm overall sound. this one and the Guitar Shorty release are my two favorites. it's got a nice variety of upbeat shuffles, slow grinds and funky stuff, which helps keep the disc sounding fresh from start to finish; uses a three-guitar attack, with each rhythm guitar living in it's own rear surround space, and buddy's lead up-front. nice.

It's recorded live but you can't tell - there is no audience noise.
interesting. are you saying it was recorded in front of a live in-studio audience, and the audience noise has been edited out?

I just got this one, this week. I love blues recordings and have quite a few in high res stereo and surround. This is a remarkable surround title! Guitars and other instrumentation in rears and very immersive. Very nice. A great find to be sure. If they are anything like this one I may have to check out the others in this series.

Once again, I would not have know of this title had it not been for the QQ recommendation. Thanks to all.

Dennis :sun

I have been causally looking around for this SACD for a while but was never willing to pay the outrages prices when it showed up on Amazon market place or the rare appearances on eBay. I finally scored a copy thanks to The Rang. I like this one a good deal. Buddy’s playing is great as is the sound quality and surround mix. Since this is an obscure blues recording from 1981, it is surprising that anyone bothered with a remix and SACD release. I am sure this one is way off the radar for most people, but I like it.

Gotta love Buddy Guy! A really superb sounding SACD that makes effective use of surround, probably the best electric blues I've heard in surround. Unfortunately it's become really pricey these days...

Mark Z

A "9".
I absolutely adore the man and on this one not only is he smoking hot, hot HOT but the mix and sound quality are just wonderful.

I found it used in a thrift shop (only £18! they thought they knew what they had and priced it up accordingly.. but no, it was a total bargain and would have been at double that!) and its now easily one of my top all-time surround albums.

Incredible.

Picked this up just recently. WOW! Wonderfully discreet blues. I also have Byther Smith. Any other JSP SACD's recommended out there?

Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to wait as prices are even higher than the OOP Guy SACD! (But I'll keep looking for it)

Picked this up just recently. WOW! Wonderfully discreet blues. I also have Byther Smith. Any other JSP SACD's recommended out there?

really they're all great! though personally I didn't enjoy the Hubert Sumlin or James & Lucky Peterson albums as much as the others. Triple Fret is one that doesn't get mentioned but its excellent too. my faves are still Buddy Guy, Guitar Shorty and Carey Bell, though Lowell Fulson and Byther Smith are pretty cool too. really a great set of Blues artists in great surround. just a shame they stopped at 11..

Wish I could find this at a reasonable price. Love the other JSP SACDs that I have and this is one of my favorite Buddy Guy albums.

Back