Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my Sonos Arc, the music is 2.0/PCM
Where's the 5.1 or Atmos?

Dunno.
Just checked, link still works for me unless I'm on my iMac internal speakers, then reverts to stereo.

The app needs to see a surround-capable device at the end of the HDMI cable.
Sometimes when my stuff hangs, cable reseats & power cycling wake them back up.

Are you using an Apple TV 4K?
Do other Apple music links in this thread give you Atmos streaming?

This one is an odd duck. Worth it for the few "multitrack" songs, but some of his earlier stuff, which should be on 8-track.... isn't. Sounds like they bounced stuff to four-track and did sub-mixes. Not unheard of but.... rather disappointing since only about 5 songs come from 8-track or better. Kinda like the Tammy Wynnette Quad that I'd hoped would be a balls-to-the-corners aggressive Larry Keyes mix only to find it's 99% stereo up front with just ambience in the rear. And most of Tammy's stuff comes from 8-track, too!! The songs were obviously remixed for the Quad but.... it must've been a much later title that they went BACK in time to do as it's just stereo with ambience in the rear. Hardly Quad.

But, Bless RCA for trying. I mean, they made Quad from 3-tracks so.... they were sure as hell trying.

Dunno.
Just checked, link still works for me unless I'm on my iMac internal speakers, then reverts to stereo.

The app needs to see a surround-capable device at the end of the HDMI cable.
Sometimes when my stuff hangs, cable reseats & power cycling wake them back up.

Are you using an Apple TV 4K?
Do other Apple music links in this thread give you Atmos streaming?

I'm using an Apple TV/4K
Sonos Arc hooked into below
Sony XR-77A80J TV, with eARC input

When something is in Atmos, it shows on my Sonos S2 App
Also, Apple Music seems to identify Atmos/Spatial audio
in it's album descriptions
I've looked at EVERY 4Tops album, & song
Haven't seen one in 5.1, or Atmos

I'm using an Apple TV/4K

think there's been some Four Tops stuff on Apple Music in Atmos?

i'll check and if i find any will post links in the other thread 🙂

I'm using an Apple TV/4K

So that isolates the fault to the Sonos app playing nice with the Apple Music app?
Or is it more complicated?

So that isolates the fault to the Sonos app playing nice with the Apple Music app?
Or is it more complicated?

Actually, rather simple with Apple Music, NOT Amazon
All the Sonos App does, is identifies the content
I.E., True/HD, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Atmos, etc.
Amazon Music in Atmos, can ONLY be decoded from the Sonos App
bizarre, but true

Is Psychobabble messed up for anyone else? Getting mostly just rears and hiss out of the front left.

yes and to date it hasn't been fixed 😔
tbh i'd forgotten about the issue and suddenly after enjoying the album immensely, Psychobabble started crunching away only in the Rear Left channel, it totally freaked me out!! 😖

If they ever do the Pure Prairie League album "Bustin' Out" in Atmos with one of my favourite all time tracks "Amie" I might even consider getting something from Apple!
PS: Craig Fuller who was with PPL went on to sing on a few Little Feat albums

it'd be fab but i can't see it happening unfortunately 😔 we really only got these two PPL's in Dolby Audio because they're the old Quads from towards the end of RCA's CD-4 & Q8 Rock/Pop Quad releases which Dutton did on a rather nice Surround SACD 🥳

yes and to date it hasn't been fixed 😔
tbh i'd forgotten about the issue and suddenly after enjoying the album immensely, Psychobabble started crunching away only in the Rear Left channel, it totally freaked me out!! 😖

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to report this, I'd love to hear it. Hard to find the right channel to Apple support for issues like this.

Back