Emerson Lake and Palmer "Lucky Man"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At St. Louis' HiFi showroom the LP record would have been played on a Thorens Turntable with an SME arm and an V15 cartridge , of the current type..
This would have fed into a McIntosh preamp and power amp combination. (Big McIntosh dealer , held lots of clinics) Probably a C24 or C26 preamp and some kind of BIG MAC power amp, at least a 2100 and possibly a 2300 which they did show.

The speakers I have never figured out what they were. It just never sank in. They were NOT Quad Electrostats of any kind nor were they Dahlquist speakers. Nor magneplanars which were probably not out yet. They were big, high mounted on the wall and square, with radiused corners maybe six inch radius. And they were probably six inches thick. About four feet square. They were in the "spensive stuff" room along with the JBL S8R system. They sounded great. I don't think I even knew who ELP were. The reason it was a wonderfully traumatic experience was 1) The synthesizer whipping back and forth through your head and 2) Bass unlike anything I had heard previously. The guy who put it on was older and a classical music guy and NOT a rock and roller but put it on with an impish grin because he knew it was going to blow minds.

https://www.engadget.com/2019-07-17-braun-le-speakers-line-pure-audio.htmlhttps://m.facebook.com/ghustwit/pho...-to-what-every-other-stereo/3126194374272889/
They looked like the above which actually were quad electrostats in a Braun Dieter Rams designed and built cabinet. This is the only thing I found on the net that looked even close. I could be misrembering the corner radius and I couldn't testify that they were a Braun dealer but they could have been since it would have catered to their archetectural design customers. They were high wall mounted looking like a work of art.

Last edited:
I think the OP's Lucky Man experience getting embedded in long-term memory is largely attributable to the electrostatic speakers. Back in the late 70s I still remember the experience of listening to vinyl on a friend's Magnepan/subwoofer setup driven by a 200w/channel amp. The song I remember vividly is from Maddy Prior and June Tabor's 'Silly Sisters' album, specifically an acapella duet entitled 'My Husband's Got No Courage In Him'. I've never had electronic equipment give me a more palpable sense that two singers were standing across the room from me, and amazing singers at that. Nope, I wasn't stoned. Pretty sure, anyway.
You do know Magnepans aren't electrostatics, right.

I have repaired several magneplanars which came unglued. Which they do at a very high rate/percentage.

My auto mechanic had a pair with two panels per side. We reglued them but they kept getting loose in multiple places. I had gotten him a pair of subs to use with them. But one day I came to his house and they were gone. "Whereza magneplanars????" I BURNED them! :LOL: :LOL: He is a real hot tempered guy.

I have made an inquiry, to a guy that worked at HiFi Showroom, around then. He may remember what those spikkrs were. I am pretty sure they were Brauns, that had Quads in them. The only thing I have seen, in several searches, that looks like them. It was 51 years ago or so, but I remember the audio, like it was yesterday. The synthesizer whipping back and forth (THROUGH your head), and the bass (caused dizziness) caused physical symptoms.

So the speakers were either Braun's cabinetted Quad electrostats or Infinity ServoStatiks.

Last edited:
I have this compilation CD, not sure what their sources were but it sounds good to me? I really dig the extended " fanfare for the common man " track, too.

That modular Moog solo in " lucky man " has mesmerized me, since the first time I ever heard it.

Also have an original UK pressing of their 1st album.

ELP_front.jpg

ELP_back.jpg

Well I just received my copy of "Emerson Lake & Palmer" 3, 2012 disc set. I've only listened to the 5.1 tracks off the DVDA disc so far. All I can say is WOW! This is as good as any classic quad mix surround wise. Sound quality is also amazing, I haven't checked the DR value but it doesn't sound compressed at all!

Now there is absolutely no need to rip my vinyl copy!

I haven't listened to "Brain Salad Surgery" in a long while but don't remember it sounding even close to this one. I'll revisit it again, when I have the time.

I hope that there is a pole for this, I'm off to search my vote will be a 10!

Last edited:
Well I just received my copy of "Emerson Lake & Palmer" 3, 2012 disc set. I've only listened to the 5.1 tracks off the DVDA disc so far. All I can say is WOW! This is as good as any classic quad mix surround wise. Sound quality is also amazing, I haven't checked the DR value but it doesn't sound compressed at all!
"Just Take A Pebble" is a demonstration-quality 5.1 track for me. Poll thread here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lmer-emerson-lake-and-palmer-dvd-a-bda.16496/

Back