Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the new Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood side project The Smile been released anywhere in surround?

Listening to the stereo mix, there's plenty of moments that'd sound great in 5.1/ Atmos, but I'm guessing they're still ignoring surround sound, sadly...
I really DUG this release!
Thom and Radiohead have been ignoring surround for decades :(

I really DUG this release!
Thom and Radiohead have been ignoring surround for decades :(
Yeah, I'd have though if there were ever going to jump on the surround bandwagon, they'd do it now with the Atmos streaming push... seems like they're just really not interested :(

Last edited:
the Billie Holiday feels like Mono and i guess maybe is..? 🤔
Mike Mettler seems to think there's a lot going on (see this week's column, below), but while I generally admire his perceptions, in this case I donno...
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/all-i-wanna-do-spatial-audio
i wonder if i'm missing the point of rejigging some of this kind of material in this way..
Generally speaking, I think my receiver's DSU DSP does at least as good a job with these classic Verve, Blue Note, and Impulse! albums as Messrs. Genewick, et al. (Lest we forget: these albums generally sound pretty good in the original stereo or mono, too.) They've got a vision for how Atmos should be used on this material that I understand, even if I don't share it. In the end, I guess it gives some of our favorite mixers a regular paycheck, so that's okay--as long as it isn't money that UMe could better spend on other material.

Last edited:
Mike Mettler seems to think there's a lot going on (see this week's column, below), but while I generally admire his perceptions, in this case I donno...
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/all-i-wanna-do-spatial-audio
Generally speaking, I think my receiver's DSU DSP does at least as good a job with these classic Verve, Blue Note, and Impulse! albums as Messrs. Genewick, et al. (Lest we forget: these albums generally sound pretty good in the original stereo or mono, too.) They've got a vision for how Atmos should be used on this material that I understand, even if I don't share it. In the end, I guess it gives some of our favorite mixers a regular paycheck, so that's okay--as long as it isn't money that UMe could better spend on other material.

i respect he's Mike Mettler and i'm a nobody schmuck on the internet but i feel either he must be listening to a different mix or there's something disastrously wrong with my setup because when i tried the Atmos, even though the individual channel level indicators on the front panel display on my Receiver were showing there was activity in multiple channels including the Rears and Heights, it felt like pretty much everything appeared to be coming from the Centre Front. maybe i should start drinking again 😅

edit: this was in response to the Billie Holiday Lady In Blue Atmos 👍

Last edited:
Just listened to The Doors, Waiting For The Sun, whole album. Wow, definitely heard things I never heard before, including things I didn't hear on my 5.1 SACD.
Only small negative is there are a few moments where Jim's vocals go soft but seem to come back.

The full album is out now... :p

View attachment 78769

Not too bad for a live album from 1977, the crowd sound quite cool dotted around. But there's only so much you can really do with this type of recording.

Let's hope they'll be some proper classic studio Atmos releases soon... (Tattoo You was clearly just an upmix, or only the binaural mix got published somehow?)

Sticky Fingers could be a good contender given it was it's 50th anniversary last year but might've been held up...
This recording is a good example of how important Ron Wood and Billy Preston where to the Stones in the late 70’s. The mix is a good “ you‘re in the audience of a 650 person club” experience.

i respect he's Mike Mettler and i'm a nobody schmuck on the internet but i feel either he must be listening to a different mix or there's something disastrously wrong with my setup because when i tried the Atmos, even though the individual channel level indicators on the front panel display on my Receiver were showing there was activity in multiple channels including the Rears and Heights, it felt like pretty much everything appeared to be coming from the Centre Front. maybe i should start drinking again 😅
I’m getting lots of information in the surrounds and heights on everything but the first album. Maybe something is off with your setup?

I was hoping we'd get this in Atmos. (Not sure why the "unfurl" feature isn't working with this link. It's the new Kendrick Lamar.)
https://music.apple.com/us/album/mr-morale-the-big-steppers/1623854804

its in Atmos here 🙋‍♀️

2BD624F0-B690-4129-B41A-A21416DED27D.jpeg

Back