Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't studied the Wall recordings under the microscope. I HAVE studied '77 tour recordings and know that their fx reel was quad. Same pans every show for those elements. Basing my Wall tour speculation on that. Prior to '77 they absolutely panned tape fx elements live and it was unique every night. Of course the instrument panning was always live and unique every show.

Anyway, Guthrie was there and would have been involved with surround elements in the shows. Whatever else happens or doesn't with the mix, that stuff will be in there.

I haven't studied the Wall recordings under the microscope. I HAVE studied '77 tour recordings and know that their fx reel was quad. Same pans every show for those elements. Basing my Wall tour speculation on that. Prior to '77 they absolutely panned tape fx elements live and it was unique every night. Of course the instrument panning was always live and unique every show.

Anyway, Guthrie was there and would have been involved with surround elements in the shows. Whatever else happens or doesn't with the mix, that stuff will be in there.
Jim, are there any recordings from The Wall your that would allow you to recreate the quad sound like you excellently did for the previous tours?

ah that is a good point: JG mixed the live shows, so he would be familiar with how they did things

did they ever release the live Wall ( 1980 ) concert in surround? probably the DVD was? or was it only audio

Was there ever an official video release of The Wall tour on DVD? When "Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live 1980/81" was released (sheesh, 20 years ago) it was only audio on cassette and CD (I remember standing in line at midnight at Tower Records in Boston for that).

If the effects tapes from the original tour were preserved, they would be an interesting additional bonus if The Wall Immersion boxed set were to get a revision. Or, if they're someday able to release a video of that tour. I thought I remember Roger mentioning around the time of his solo Wall tour, that finding suitable footage from Mother for him to play along with live was tough. I thought he implicated that they did not fully plan for, or didn't get quality, footage from the original tour, hence no tour DVD yet.

allright, back to Pink Floyd again: what does everyone think will be the most dramatic use of surround on The Wall?

I'm thinking it might be "the trial" sequence, with the various characters coming in & the orchestra bits/musical cues

I agree. And I'd add the explosion between "In the Flesh?" and "The Thin Ice".

allright, back to Pink Floyd again: what does everyone think will be the most dramatic use of surround on The Wall?

I'm thinking it might be "the trial" sequence, with the various characters coming in & the orchestra bits/musical cues

I think you'll hear a lot more of the orchestra. On the Amused to Death 5.1, Michael Kamen's arrangements rang clear as a bell to an almost startling degree.

whatever happened to animals 5.1? wasnt going to get released next month...?
You just had to bring it up, Alan, didn't you? You just couldn't resist, right? Watch now as a bunch of people including myself get spun up all over again.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
My bad my bad, I havent seen any news on the old thread.

Regarding "Animals", I think a June release is out of the question now. July could still be possible, or if not, it might be out in the Fall (Sept/Oct/Nov 2022).
As for "The Wall", the sooner the "Animals" release is out, then the sooner they can get to "The Wall".
One thing's for sure, I do not want to see anymore Early Years or Later Years releases until these other releases get taken care of first!

:)

Back