Rip Vangelis

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being raised in Greece and a child of the 60s I also grew up listening to many Greek rock bands , mainly Socrates ..sigh… good and fun times .
Followed Vangelis’music through the years , Albedo .39 , Pulsar were early favorites. A true visionary , he never compromised his artistic ideals . Thrilled when he was widely recognized for Chariots of fire.
He hardly toured , almost never I think , I was lucky enough to see him live at UCLA’s Royce hall back in 1986… what a memorable performance .

Poll, Kostas Tournas, and most especially Stauros Logarides are ones I go back to occasionally. There are some good compilations of 60s Greek rock, and it is interesting to me how some bands tried to be the "Greek Fairport Convention" in doing folk-rock!

Stauros has a FB page.

Poll, Kostas Tournas, and most especially Stauros Logarides are ones I go back to occasionally. There are some good compilations of 60s Greek rock, and it is interesting to me how some bands tried to be the "Greek Fairport Convention" in doing folk-rock!

Stauros has a FB page.

Yes Indeed! All of these were my childhood listens! Back then in Greece ,Rock music was seen as a rebel movement against the establishment so it stayed mainly underground and in small clubs..Thankfully times have changed.

Vangelis was part of a pop group called Forminx in the 60's ..they had a hit which is still a hit with very young kids today. Check out a very young Vangelis at the keyboards.

I first found out about Vangelis from Carl Sagan's Cosmos on PBS. Parts of the soundtrack music were taken from his album Heaven and Hell. I read the credits and bought the record.

The next year, Chariots of Fire came out and I recognized his style. I bought the record. But the piece I wanted from the film (a beautiful piece during Eric Liddell's first race in the Scottish highland) was not on the record. Recently I bought the DVD.

The next year, Vangelis did parts of the Blade Runner soundtrack. But his music was not on the soundtrack album. I did get the title theme on a record of movie themes (not played by Vangelis) and I also have it (played by Vangelis) on a NASA achievements DVD.

In 1984, I found in a music store his album No Oyes Ladrar Los Perros and bought it.

In 1986, I saw a Gallo Wines commercial. It contained the piece I wanted from Eric Liddell's race! A few inquiries led me to the 1979 Vangelis album Opera Sauvage. It was the song Hymne. Of course I bought the album.

I discovered that some of these albums put primary musical parts in the back speakers in SQ.

Started long long long ago with Chariots Of Fire- And I'm thinking of trying to do a Penteo-Upmix of this fantastic piece of music. Just listening to my CD right now...

Sad indeed.
There are a bunch of Vangelis upmixes out there if you don't want to do it yourself.

Yes Indeed! All of these were my childhood listens! Back then in Greece ,Rock music was seen as a rebel movement against the establishment so it stayed mainly underground and in small clubs..Thankfully times have changed.

Vangelis was part of a pop group called Forminx in the 60's ..they had a hit which is still a hit with very young kids today. Check out a very young Vangelis at the keyboards.

Oh My God! I sometimes forget how goofy the 60s were.

The man certainly went on to great things, especially in the film scoring genre, but I remember him most fondly from his very first solo album, Earth ('73). Along with folks like Fricke, Froese, Schulze and Baumann, he put keyboard compositions of every kind on the pop-era map.

God Bless him and Rest In Peace Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou.

The USAF used to send me TDY to an island in the mid-Atlantic called Ascension. Whenever I think back on it, I associate the pictures in my mind with the following Vangelis compositions. This is the place where I learned why the old saying, "Never Turn Your Back On The Sea," is such a sage piece of advice. The man definitely had a way of expressing the emotions one experiences when seeing something that's seemingly surreal or spiritual through his keyboards. He will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
Just learned about the passing of Vangelis last year from Covid. A few days ago, I watched VANGELIS AND THE JOURNEY TO ITHICA. His talent is amazing and he was so prolific--composing every day. In the past, I have collected his early CD's. Now I'm trying to catch up with all that I've missed. Juno To Jupiter was released a year before his death. I wonder if we will ever get to hear what is in the vaults. Also, there is an opportunity for production of outstanding Dolby Atmos mixes. I'm excited to see what comes next.
Vangelis - Juno To Jupiter.jpg

Just learned about the passing of Vangelis last year from Covid. A few days ago, I watched VANGELIS AND THE JOURNEY TO ITHICA. His talent is amazing and he was so prolific--composing every day. In the past, I have collected his early CD's. Now I'm trying to catch up with all that I've missed. Juno To Jupiter was released a year before his death. I wonder if we will ever get to hear what is in the vaults. Also, there is an opportunity for production of outstanding Dolby Atmos mixes. I'm excited to see what comes next.
Vangelis was (and is) such a hero to me. I so wish he had done a big world tour late in life. I seriously considered going to grad school in music to study and perform his life works, but couldn’t find a program/mentor that could make it happen. I hope someone takes up that challenge someday and keeps his music alive for future generations. All of it, Aphrodite’s Child, Spiral-era, Cosmos, Chariots, Jon, Gallo wine 🍷:), Blade Runner. A brilliant music mind (classically so except self-taught), who found a way to connect to the modern world in so many different ways and eras.

Somebody on the Vangelis who was working with him claimed that there was a big box set for Aphrodite's Child 666 coming and that it would include surround mix. Then he died. Don't know what the situation is with that at this point.
one of my favourite tracks Demis singing (House of the rising sun)
with his backing

Back