Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan Parsons, 5.1 Surround, DVD-DTS. 24/48 DR's are 11, 12, 13, 14's, 15, 16.
R-13550573-1556567930-9368.jpg

Recently acquired the original DVD-Audio release of this. If anyone has both: is the surround mastering the same, or different? I assume the stereo on the hybrid SACD (both layers) is a new master.

i didn't directly compare the two formats but on basic listening i was pretty sure they had the same mastering and (unfortunately) the same MCh mix, which to my mind is really not good and doesn't do the material justice, surprisingly so for Don Murray since he previously did great Quad mixes (O'Jays "Ship Ahoy", Johnny Mathis "I'm Coming Home", Spinners "New & Improved" and "Pick Of The Litter") and subsequently did great 5.1 mixes (George Benson "Songs & Stories", Lee Ritenour "Six String Theory").. ah well, can't win 'em all i guess 👌

i didn't directly compare the two formats but on basic listening i was pretty sure they had the same mastering and (unfortunately) the same MCh mix, which to my mind is really not good and doesn't do the material justice, surprisingly so for Don Murray since he previously did great Quad mixes (O'Jays "Ship Ahoy", Johnny Mathis "I'm Coming Home", Spinners "New & Improved" and "Pick Of The Litter") and subsequently did great 5.1 mixes (George Benson "Songs & Stories", Lee Ritenour "Six String Theory").. ah well, can't win 'em all i guess 👌

I sometimes truly believe the absence of a discrete remix is at the insistence of the artist and not the remix engineer. I always recall when Jay~Z rejected Elliot Scheiner's ultra discrete remix for the BEYONCE video BD~V insisting it was too gimmicky [and perhaps in his mind detracted from the videos].

ALL those Don Murray discrete remixes you mentioned are indeed superior. And it must've been a frustrating experience for him to refrain from creating a more immersive 5.1 remix...unless the stems he had to work from were not conducive for a more discrete remix!

Last edited:
Back