Turntables, Phono Carts & Record Cleaning

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hmmm. Well, when I said same pressing, I assumed there were only 1, hence my statement. I'll give it a spin again and see if I still feel the same way. The Garage Inc I mentioned sounded spectacular. Only, in the quiet passages between songs, it sounded like sandpaper! That's why I got rid of it. Fidelity was stunning, but I couldn't get past the noisy between songs.
Curious how you clean your records? Even new ones can have debris. It was noisy even after a brushing?

Curious how you clean your records? Even new ones can have debris. It was noisy even after a brushing?
I use a spin-clean system, then place them in a new static free sleeve. The usual spot clean before every play with the old school RCA brand brush with liquid. Anyway, it's a poor pressing. Not dust. When you've heard a poor pressing, where it's super noisy between tracks, you'll never forget it. It cannot be fixed with cleaning.

Man, several of the vinyl pics you post look like they need a serious cleaning! Do you play them like that, or not your pics? :)
The records play excellently with no or little noise.
You are seeing a reflection from taking the picture.
Also lint that's cleaned off just before playing.

The records play excellently with no or little noise.
You are seeing a reflection from taking the picture.
Also lint that's cleaned off just before playing.
I also get lint on mine too that seems to be related to static. I really struggle to get them perfect, but the lint is so small, seems it doesn't impact playing. I've tried Zero Stat guns, and I just can't get them to help at all.

I also get lint on mine too that seems to be related to static. I really struggle to get them perfect, but the lint is so small, seems it doesn't impact playing. I've tried Zero Stat guns, and I just can't get them to help at all.
I use one of those anti-static brushes, and before I can drop head shell, more dust is seen landing onto the black LP. It’s just floating in the air, maybe a good air purifier in the room would help :unsure:
Now I owe you a record play, off subject.

Gene, I've had good luck w/Zerostat. Used/sold several generations. There is a Z3 sitting in a case across my room. Part of the trick is if it clicks a lot, you've done it too fast. It should be a slow, smooth squeeze. It should be approx. the same speed squeeze up and down. Forgive me if my memory is a bit cockeyed. One squeeze releases negative ions to free positive charges. The other releases positive ions. It DOES work, you simply need to get the hang of it. But, I don't expect it to get rid of 100%. Most/much of it, yes.

However, most homes/apts have dry air. Without humidification, you'll be far more prone to static electricity. That often translates to electric shocks while walking, unplugging electronics to reset it and staticier (is that a word?) LP's. In most environments, that tends to be the biggest factor, IMHO.

Gene, I've had good luck w/Zerostat. Used/sold several generations. There is a Z3 sitting in a case across my room. Part of the trick is if it clicks a lot, you've done it too fast. It should be a slow, smooth squeeze. It should be approx. the same speed squeeze up and down. Forgive me if my memory is a bit cockeyed. One squeeze releases negative ions to free positive charges. The other releases positive ions. It DOES work, you simply need to get the hang of it. But, I don't expect it to get rid of 100%. Most/much of it, yes.

However, most homes/apts have dry air. Without humidification, you'll be far more prone to static electricity. That often translates to electric shocks while walking, unplugging electronics to reset it and staticier (is that a word?) LP's. In most environments, that tends to be the biggest factor, IMHO.
In my house, I am always sure to touch something metal before touching my turntable, or else I hear a loud pop through my speakers when the static electricity is discharged. I also use a carbon fiber brush before each play, not sure how much it helps since I have never A/B'd it, but it can't hurt. Even so, I still usually get crackle when I play vinyl, some worse than others, even after a good wet-clean and vacuum. I guess it just comes with the territory. I have also tried to train my ears/brain to tune it out and focus on the music itself, that's where the rewards are.

And yes, I am one that believes you should clean even new records. Lot of stuff floating around that gets stuck on their, including dust from paper sleeves, etc.

In my house, I am always sure to touch something metal before touching my turntable, or else I hear a loud pop through my speakers when the static electricity is discharged. I also use a carbon fiber brush before each play, not sure how much it helps since I have never A/B'd it, but it can't hurt. Even so, I still usually get crackle when I play vinyl, some worse than others, even after a good wet-clean and vacuum. I guess it just comes with the territory. I have also tried to train my ears/brain to tune it out and focus on the music itself, that's where the rewards are.

And yes, I am one that believes you should clean even new records. Lot of stuff floating around that gets stuck on their, including dust from paper sleeves, etc.

If you get a loud pop when you touch the turntable, the turntable is not properly grounded or there is a ground loop..

If you get a loud pop when you touch the turntable, the turntable is not properly grounded or there is a ground loop..
Any time you discharge 10 kV to 20 kV of static electricity to anything connected to a phono stage with 35 to 40 dB of gain you're going to hear a "pop" no matter the grounding.

A ground loop will produce a 60 Hz hum. Or 50 Hz in come countries. :)

The fix is to raise the humidity of the air.

Finally managed to fix the TT I recently got...took me way more effort than my previous one, I even had to fix the servo voltage with a Multimeter (a first for me!) so I am playing a rather challenging recording...I may get a Shibata for this AT 3003 cart (@edisonbaggins !!)
Incredible how good this Japanese technology from 40 years ago is, this TT was built Feb 1982...that's why anyone getting any of these USB ones really floors me..and I ain't even a real technician..well, maybe I may be slowly becoming one ...really gratifying to fix something yourself, I ALWAYS have outside suggestions and help but nobody else touched this TT!

https://www.discogs.com/release/110...h-Michael-Schneider-Bach-Greatest-Organ-Music

Finally managed to fix the TT I recently got...took me way more effort than my previous one, I even had to fix the servo voltage with a Multimeter (a first for me!) so I am playing a rather challenging recording...
You've got my curiosity up about what that turntable is, since in a previous life '77 to '81 I was an audio repair technician for a major manufacturer.

You've got my curiosity up about what that turntable is, since in a previous life '77 to '81 I was an audio repair technician for a major manufacturer.
Hello @Gimme 4
You might know about this one. I bought two in the mid 80's. They've performed flawlessly ever since. They weigh 20lbs.
I always thought they looked like Technics 1200.
"Made in Japan for Numark"
PXL_20220522_023035740.jpg
PXL_20220522_023603048.jpg

Hello @Gimme 4
You might know about this one. I bought two in the mid 80's. They've performed flawlessly ever since. They weigh 20lbs.
I always thought they looked like Technics 1200.
"Made in Japan for Numark"
View attachment 79136View attachment 79137
I did actually work for Panasonic "Matshushita Electric Co." once upon a time but in the industrial video department. Overhauling time-lapse VTRs used in banks and jewelry stores, re-tubing closed circuit cameras, stuff like that. That was after 4 years of audio repair work. But... I'd have to compare pictures and schematic diagrams to be sure on your turntable. I am familiar with Numark though, I have a couple of their 10 band graphic equalizers, two for quad of course! Bought them at Pacific Stereo in 1982.

I did actually work for Panasonic "Matshushita Electric Co." once upon a time but in the industrial video department. Overhauling time-lapse VTRs used in banks and jewelry stores, re-tubing closed circuit cameras, stuff like that. That was after 4 years of audio repair work. But... I'd have to compare pictures and schematic diagrams to be sure on your turntable. I am familiar with Numark though, I have a couple of their 10 band graphic equalizers, two for quad of course! Bought them at Pacific Stereo in 1982.
I bought the turntables at Pacific Stereo - Daly City, CA
(a little south of San Francisco)

I bought the turntables at Pacific Stereo - Daly City, CA
(a little south of San Francisco)

Pacific must have been a big Numark dealer!

I wouldn't be surprised if Matsushita (Panasonic-Technics) made it for them. Would cost a lot of money to design and tool up for a turntable like that. Since it doesn't incorporate anything that emits RF there's no FCC ID code on it. That would be the easy way to know for sure.

The Pacific Stereo which was in North Dallas is where I checked out the Phase Linear turntable I ultimately bought, not there though. Full list price there. Ouch.

Last edited:
Out! Out! Damned inner groove distortion!
Yes, indeed!
IGD always bothered me when I had my 1st TT, an SL-Q2, which , BTW, was the reason I gave up on pivoted arm TTs (i bumped the arm and it fatally wounded "Brain Damage" in my then beloved MFSL PF DSOTM pressing).
I don't have to tell you that these things are built like freaking tanks...and they sound heavenly! the freq response on the specs sez it goes up to 11! (55KHz!). The SL-10 is way too fancy and with the clamp you run the risk of it going to hell and this one is basically the SL-10 sans the locking mechanism.
I am very thankful that this one just cost me the hassle of dealing with a not very smart/practical seller cause he screwed up big time and PPal wound up refunding the purchase in less than 10 minutes(!!!).
Highly recommended LT TT.
AAMOF, very few people have LT TTs here in this forum which I find rather curious knowing how demanding our QQ brethren are.

Cheers!

Back