INVOLVE - Y4 surround sound system reviews

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 16 in ‘72 and got to see CCR at Randwick. My good mate at school and soccer, Dave Guest, won two tickets in a Daily Mirror competition. He asked me if I’d like the other ticket! Years later I added him to my band on keyboards. Not sure if that was a plus though . . .
That's when Tom left the band and they were an unhappy trio

Only an australian of mature age would know the background on that answer
It was the most formative, culturally changing period for Australia
And here I thought you were all referring to the day when Chucky woke up in the middle of night with his visions of the Surround Master.

True, but still great live. Mardi Gras was pretty much their downfall when the others demanded equal opportunity to write the tunes. Even so, Stu’s tune Door to Door (B side of Sweet Hitchhiker) was pretty good IMO
Hate to disagree but CCR's only bum tracks were 'rude awakening number 2 of Pendulum, and Stu' s 3 tracks on Mardi Gras. I actually really liked Doug's 3 tracks on mardi gas, specially "need someone to hold".

I am a complete CCR nutcase

Hate to disagree but CCR's only bum tracks were 'rude awakening number 2 of Pendulum, and Stu' s 3 tracks on Mardi Gras. I actually really liked Doug's 3 tracks on mardi gas, specially "need someone to hold".

I am a complete CCR nutcase
All good, but each to their own of course. The salient point I think is that whatever the other guys did, generally people didn't seem to consider it to be CCR they knew and loved? Actually, when I started playing guitar, the first things I'd learnt were Walk Don't Run and Proud Mary. Should have kept up the lessons after that! Not sure how many thousand times I listened to the solo in Grapevine as a kid. No argument with Rude Awakening. Strange to think that could be on the same album as Hideaway (absolute killer vocal)

All good, but each to their own of course. The salient point I think is that whatever the other guys did, generally people didn't seem to consider it to be CCR they knew and loved? Actually, when I started playing guitar, the first things I'd learnt were Walk Don't Run and Proud Mary. Should have kept up the lessons after that! Not sure how many thousand times I listened to the solo in Grapevine as a kid. No argument with Rude Awakening. Strange to think that could be on the same album as Hideaway (absolute killer vocal)
So true and ditto re grapevine. In my opinion no other group had as high a quality/crap ratio on their albums. Personally i say 4 were perfect, bayou country, green river, willy and the poor boys, cosmos factory. The other imperfect 3 albums were absolutely remarkable starting from their first self titled album first track... I put a spell on you, in my opinon the best rock song lf all time.

So true and ditto re grapevine. In my opinion no other group had as high a quality/crap ratio on their albums. Personally i say 4 were perfect, bayou country, green river, willy and the poor boys, cosmos factory. The other imperfect 3 albums were absolutely remarkable starting from their first self titled album first track... I put a spell on you, in my opinon the best rock song lf all time.
Loved Bayou Country and Green River! One of my sisters bought me Green River for Christmas one year. The guitar intro to Green River and Born on the Bayou are still magic for me. Loved their R&B covers on Cosmos Factory of course

Loved Bayou Country and Green River! One of my sisters bought me Green River for Christmas one year. The guitar intro to Green River and Born on the Bayou are still magic for me. Loved their R&B covers on Cosmos Factory of course
Hey here is my 20 favorite CCR tracks, so much more to chose from!

1 I put a spell on you
2 It came out of the sky
3 Green River
4 I heard it through the grapevine
5 Ramble tamble
6 Poorboy shuffle/ feelin blue
7 Effigy
8 Run through the jungle
9 Graveyard train
10 Long as I can see the light
11 Side of the road
12 Lookin out my back door
13 Have you ever seen the rain
14 Tombstone shadow
15 Its just a thought
16 Someday never comes
17 Need someone to hold
18 Suzie Q
19 Sinister purpose
20 Pagan baby

1 I put a spell on you
2 It came out of the sky
3 Green River
5 Ramble tamble
7 Effigy
8 Run through the jungle
9 Graveyard train
11 Side of the road
14 Tombstone shadow
15 Its just a thought
16 Someday never comes
17 Need someone to hold
18 Suzie Q
19 Sinister purpose
20 Pagan baby

I like this band too! Here is my list of favorites:

1. It Came Out of the Sky
2. Proud Mary
3. Down on the Corner
4. Lookin' out my Back Door
5. I Heard It Through the Grapevine
6. Lodi
7. Cotton Fields
8. Midnignt Special
9. Good Golly Miss Molly
10. Up Around the Bend
11. Long as I can See the Light
12. Who'll Stop the Rain
13. Walk on the Water
14. Bad Moon Rising
15. Commotion
16. Hey Tonight
17. Molina
18. Don't Look Now
19. Effigy
20. Sweet Hitchhiker.

I have a lot of these as 45s, because I used to load and fix jukeboxes and I got to keep some of the records we took out.

The song It Came Out of the Sky appears in the Airwolf TV series episode Out of the Sky.

Last edited:
I like this band too! Here is my list of favorites:

1. It Came Out of the Sky
2. Proud Mary
3. Down on the Corner
4. Lookin' out my Back Door
5. I Heard It Through the Grapevine
6. Lodi
7. Cotton Fields
8. Midnignt Special
9. Good Golly Miss Molly
10. Up Around the Bend
11. Long as I can See the Light
12. Who'll Stop the Rain
13. Walk on the Water
14. Bad Moon Rising
15. Commotion
16. Hey Tonight
17. Molina
18. Don't Look Now
19. Effigy
20. Sweet Hitchhiker.

I have a lot of these as 45s, because I used to load and fix jukeboxes and I got to keep some of the records we took out.

The song It Came Out of the Sky appears in the Airwolf TV series episode Out of the Sky.
I also love your list. I notice that most on your list differs with mine but both lists are great. Only one other band has this amount of great hits...... The beatles. But CCR had less filler in their albums, more quality

1 I put a spell on you
2 It came out of the sky
3 Green River
5 Ramble tamble
7 Effigy
8 Run through the jungle
9 Graveyard train
11 Side of the road
14 Tombstone shadow
15 Its just a thought
16 Someday never comes
17 Need someone to hold
18 Suzie Q
19 Sinister purpose
20 Pagan baby
No Wrote a Song for Everyone?

Please note that due to the complexity and raw cost of our Y4 sound system people have asked for demonstrations and that means local distributors/ demonstrators etc. This has added a bunch of additional cost and means initially in Australia appointed agents. This will force us to increase the end price at the end of the month. See below:

1654866510176.png

On the other hand it presents you guys with an opportunity, if you are willing to act as a local demonstrator/ representative only QQ members can still get it at the old price and get that commission on each sale!

Talk to me if you are interested

Here is a review from Rustyandi, moved from general discussion. Only correction is the amplifiers are 68 Watts per channel:

First of this unit was developed for converting Stereo into Surround
Although it has a Involve (QS) decoder in it
And is the best decoder for QS encode records and CDs
When I first talked to Charlie I asked did he want me to mention that it is a QS Quadraphonic Decoder
As the word Quad was a dirty word
He said go ahead
I have played all my Stereo LPs/CDs/Radio with my QS1 then QSD1 And now Involve since about 1971
So Stereo Surround is not new to me

The Y4 Amp. as you may have seen pictures of it
Not a large unit but has a lot of weight to it
There is 10 channels at 58 RMS per channel
2 channels per speaker plus 2 channels for Sub.
The Speakers are small and would fit into the Décor of many homes
Without too much interference from The little woman

A fellow audio friend and I had a demonstration at Involve HQ.
There was a 5 inch Subwoofer also set up with it
As you may know each of the speakers has 2 power amps.to it each at a different time delay
To give a sweet spot anywhere within the surround field
And to ears it does a very good job
The sound is very clean and clear and if you want volume you can have it
Also the Sub. Has a very good thump and there is a bigger one if you want more
The music we played like anyone who has a Involve or a QS decoder
Depends on the phasing on the disc but just about any music will be enhanced
It may Surround you or give a depth of field
Just the thing for anyone to start moving past Stereo
So the Y4 doesn't also include SQ?

Please note that due to the complexity and raw cost of our Y4 sound system people have asked for demonstrations and that means local distributors/ demonstrators etc. This has added a bunch of additional cost and means initially in Australia appointed agents. This will force us to increase the end price at the end of the month. See below:

View attachment 80053

On the other hand it presents you guys with an opportunity, if you are willing to act as a local demonstrator/ representative only QQ members can still get it at the old price and get that commission on each sale!

Talk to me if you are interested
So you don't have a Y4 system set up in your offices/showroom(?) to demo with? If someone can afford the system, I'd think they could afford the trip to Melbourne to hear it.

So you don't have a Y4 system set up in your offices/showroom(?) to demo with? If someone can afford the system, I'd think they could afford the trip to Melbourne to hear it.
It's intended for the general "non qq" market who don't know of SQ. So yes no SQ. It's on permanent show in out demo room (messy). It will shorty be in 2 demo houses both side of USA.

I use it for my "cinema" stuff as there is no sweetspot so everyone gets it. The new Y4 is 120W per channel.... 10 Channel. Oh the puny dual 5 inch woofers are good to 40 Hz real

Last edited:
Back