Music DVD Poll Queen - The DVD Collection, Greatest Video Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Queen - Greatest Video Hits"

• Total voters
Just got the 2 DVD Greatest Video Hits 1 & 2 this past week. So far I've only seen/heard disc 1 (2x - hope to get to disc 2 tomorrow). If disc 2 sounds as good as disc 1 this will be a 10 from me. :D

Ralphie...you are deducting a point for not having a technology that wasn't even available when this title was released:rolleyes:

True, but they've had YEARS [and years] to upgrade this to a single BD~V with Hi Res audio........AND THEY DID NOT.

Even 1930's Cinema is being scanned at 4K and released on BD~V. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blonde-Venus-Blu-ray/203265/#Review

And 23 OTHER QQ voters agree with me ['9' vote] ........ so THERE, Clinty.........http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...ef49-49d9-a4ea-addc81bdcdac.jpeg?v=1470938410

So, If it's good enough for Marlene, then it's certainly good enough for our beloved FREDDIE! http://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/2016/03/freddie-mercury.jpg

Last edited:
True, but they've had YEARS [and years] to upgrade this to a single BD~V with Hi Res audio........AND THEY DID NOT.

Even 1930's Cinema is being scanned at 4K and released on BD~V. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blonde-Venus-Blu-ray/203265/#Review

And 23 OTHER QQ voters agree with me ........ so THERE, Clinty.........http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...ef49-49d9-a4ea-addc81bdcdac.jpeg?v=1470938410

So, If it's good enough for Marlene, then it's certainly good enough for our beloved FREDDIE! http://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/2016/03/freddie-mercury.jpg

Oh wait a minute Ralphie...I forgot...the forum has that Back to The Future voting system...where you can go back in time and change things in the past...even though Blu Ray wasn't available then...with the new super duper forum feature you can enter information that wasn't available in the past:ROFLMAO:...but the fact that they never did upgrade this issue means your point is moot...this is the one you are evaluating...not what could have been with another release.....nice try Ralphie...but no cigar:cool:

Oh wait a minute Ralphie...I forgot...the forum has that Back to The Future voting system...where you can go back in time and change things in the past...even though Blu Ray wasn't available then...with the new super duper forum feature you can enter information that wasn't available in the past:ROFLMAO:...but the fact that they never did upgrade this issue means your point is moot...this is the one you are evaluating...not what could have been with another release.....nice try Ralphie...but no cigar:cool:

I don't smoke cigars, Clinty .....I smoke Winstons:smokin with a cup o' java :coffee:!:ROFLMAO:Death Wish?

So if it makes YOU feel better, I voted 10 for content and 9 for the fact it's a DVD and 8 for the fact it hasn't been scanned in 4K and released on a single BD~V with DTS MA HD 5.1 Audio. [10 + 9 + 8 = 27 divided by 3 = 9!] And even if I did change my vote, Clinty, you'd castigate me for 'pandering' under pressure as you are wont to do.

I've always lived in the future.......so there's NOTHING to go BACK to....although, I will concur: Man Without Man's Past .... is meaningless!

BTW, Clinty, POLLS [LIKE LABELS] are for JELLY JARS. The Beatle's LOVE album will always be my #1 Hi RES Album followed by the criminally underrated KRAFTWERK 3D box set!

Last edited:
I only have Vol. I so far. Very cool they chose to do these mixes in straight 4.0! They do have a very '70s quad vibe- meaning you see stuff like backing vocals jumping back and forth between the rears or lead guitar flourishes circling the room.

Queen's 1973 debut actually appeared in several quad tape catalogs as an upcoming release, so I suppose "Keep Yourself Alive" and "Liar" on Vol. II could actually be from that shelved release. I'm certainly eager to find a copy and check it out...

The only mix that doesn't quite work for me is "We Will Rock You". This is just double stereo with the lead vocals upfront. Obviously there isn't much to work with on this song, but they could've at least panned the guitar around at the end or something.

What's interesting is that while the four tracks from The Game are the same mixes as the DVD-A version, they've chosen to deliver them in 4.0. I'm gonna assume they mixed the center/sub into the fronts rather than just remove them entirely. The A Night At The Opera tracks were left intact in 5.1 (yet they appear to be a different mastering than the DVD-A of that title).

There isn't any difference on "Save Me" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" as those tracks had no center activity to begin with, but "Play The Game" had the vocals isolated in the center channel on the original DVD-A. I suppose it makes for a good "real center vs. phantom center" comparison.

"Play The Game" (The Game DVD-A):
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.46.23 PM.png

"Play The Game (Video Hits DVD-V):
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.00.56 PM.png

Also, I wonder if the A Day At The Races tracks were sourced from a shelved 5.1 mix of that title? Brian May announced years ago it was coming to DVD-A but it never appeared...

Last edited:
I believe at least one of The Game singles on Video Hits is a different mix.

I'm listening to disc 1 right now. It definitely sounds 4.0 but the disc menu and my AVR says DTS 5.1 96/24??

Is this a release that says DTS 5.1 on the disc menu and is sent to the AVR as a 5.1 signal but the the center and sub are silent in the actual mix?

I'm listening to disc 1 right now. It definitely sounds 4.0 but the disc menu and my AVR says DTS 5.1 96/24??

Is this a release that says DTS 5.1 on the disc menu and is sent to the AVR as a 5.1 signal but the the center and sub are silent in the actual mix?
I just ran thru about 10 Tracks and they are 4.0, however Bohemian Rhapsody had a little center channel action. I own both Disc 1 & 2.

Got greatest video hits 1 and 2 at a car boot sale at the weekend for £1 each, both 2 disc sets in great condition although the cases were badly cracked (i replaced them with spares I had) my fave band of all time on surround sound, I am in absolute heaven, these mixes are great, so what if the videos are old hat, no need to watch, in the absence of all their albums in 5.1 this will do for me. If you are a Queen fan and don’t have these discs do yourself a favour and search them out, you will not regret it, easiest 10 ever
image.jpg

Got greatest video hits 1 and 2 at a car boot sale at the weekend for £1 each, both 2 disc sets in great condition although the cases were badly cracked (i replaced them with spares I had) my fave band of all time on surround sound, I am in absolute heaven, these mixes are great, so what if the videos are old hat, no need to watch, in the absence of all their albums in 5.1 this will do for me. If you are a Queen fan and don’t have these discs do yourself a favour and search them out, you will not regret it, easiest 10 everView attachment 79208
oh, I see you are new here!
Yes, you will find that basically everyone here has given these sets a rave review!
Happy you found them and enjoying them...

I'm very late to this party. But I was drawn to this thread by Madscots and Kap's May 5 posts. I've always wanted these. I found both vol 1 and 2 (2002/03 versions) on ebay from the same seller and put them on my watch list. Within hours I got an offer from the seller for 25% off. I got them for about $10 a set plus shipping. They arrived in great shape and the disc surfaces look perfect.

Some of the videos are kind of cheesy, but they are of their time. Mostly lip-synced. The majority of the mixes are quite good. I cant complain too loudly about the sound quality either. Its great to have surround versions of all these hit songs. There is a series of excellent documentaries on the making of Bohemian Rhapsody on Vol 1. I did not know that Guinness considers it the greatest rock song of all time.

The sets are very nicely put together. Great menus. Very nice presentation. Lots of additional material. I'm voting a 9. I will play these videos quite a bit going forward.

I rip everything these days, and I ripped these as well. There is an Easter egg on the 2nd disc of each set. I can't say how to get to them through the menus, but Vol 1 has an alternate version of the Bohemian Rhapsody video, and Vol 2 has a video of two children recording Who Wants to Live Forever with Brian May at the mixing board. I also liked how one of the available soundtracks is spoken commentary by the band. I ripped it all. The one downer I noticed was how each of the additional material sections on Vol 2 is preceded by a still frame which introduces it. Try as I might i could not include those frames in the rip. Minor, I know.

Anyway, these are a must have for any Queen Fan. Well done, even if they are 20 years old now.

Last edited:
Back