RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not my intention to single you out by any means, but I've read that claim elsewhere and I'm not sure where people are getting the idea - the vast majority of them appear to be genuine remixes from a multitrack source, though obviously that doesn't guarantee they sound good. Many (most?) of the Atmos titles recently issued on Blu-Ray disc - examples include Tears For Fears' The Tipping Point, Kiss' Destroyer, The Band's Cahoots, etc - are also streaming on Apple/Tidal and clearly use the same mix/master.
As I said, it was an impression, not a claim. I don't like or care about Apple products and services since the early 2000s with the iPod and iTunes which made everything proprietary and closed. I think they also had the habit of only keeping one version of a song even if there was different versions, mixes or mastering. Everything was locked to a computer or device and needed iTunes to be transfered. This is the kind of business practices that makes me not take Apple seriously in the music field. I just figured it would have been the kind of thing they did to hype up their Atmos catalog. Good for those who subscribe to Apple music then if it isn't the case.

As I said, it was an impression, not a claim. I don't like or care about Apple products and services since the early 2000s with the iPod and iTunes which made everything proprietary and closed. I think they also had the habit of only keeping one version of a song even if there was different versions, mixes or mastering. Everything was locked to a computer or device and needed iTunes to be transfered. This is the kind of business practices that makes me not take Apple seriously in the music field. I just figured it would have been the kind of thing they did to hype up their Atmos catalog. Good for those who subscribe to Apple music then if it isn't the case.

Of topic, but I don't think anyone could have ever imagined how many vintage quad releases have been made available to us in the last year thanks to Apple Music. It is time to let water be under the bridge. The floodgates on early Quad opened and the incredible amount of new surround content thanks to Atmos is a bonus.

Of topic, but I don't think anyone could have ever imagined how many vintage quad releases have been made available to us in the last year thanks to Apple Music. It is time to let water be under the bridge. The floodgates on early Quad opened and the incredible amount of new surround content thanks to Atmos is a bonus.
I only use streaming for music (or movies) I don't care about or to see if I want to buy an album. I prefer physical discs if I want to keep the music (or movie) or in some cases, a download in a open lossless format (FLAC). I've seen too many times some material be removed from a streaming site when I want to listen to it (or watch it). That goes for Youtube also: if I like a video, I download it. I've seen videos I like disappear too often.

Last edited:
The low bit rate aac of these streams - a low bit rate to begin with and shared by 12 channels of data - is grainy enough for a prominent "mp3 effect" on the cymbals. Maybe those artifacts are making some people suspect AI generated mixes?

If you put full sound ahead of adding channels, the streaming remains make a poor impression. There are many variables and there will still be examples that shine enough to deliver a lot. Others might sound cheap next to the original releases. The original Rush mixes set the bar pretty high.

The original Rush mixes set the bar very low. The new Atmos Moving Pictures easily hopped the bar set, as did the SW mix of AFTK.

The streams aren't AAC. They are e-ac3. A poor mix will sound bad in any format. There are so many good mixes. I wish people would stop blaming the format.

Another interesting twist with the Blu-Ray is that once the two 5.1 streams are level-matched, the rear channels on the Dolby TrueHD are exactly 3 dB quieter than the DTS-HD. Once you raise all six channels of the Dolby 3 dB and bump the rears up another 3, it completely nulls out with the DTS.

"Limelight" (TrueHD 5.1):
View attachment 78086

"Limelight" (DTS-HD 5.1):
View attachment 78085

3dB is a mystical number for surround channels . see:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/movies-how-much-spl-in-the-surround-channels.1816242/page-2

okay

nevermind.jpg

PopMarket with 10 percent off coupon code. Got mine down to $242 net

After several weeks on backorder with no update, did your order get unceremoniously cancelled this morning with no explanation, like mine did? Sometimes Popmarket can be a real drag... for low prices and generally quick and efficient fulfillment when things are in stock and go well, you pay the price of it being a very transactional, faceless, zero customer-service kinda company and experience. I didn't even get a cancellation email from them, just a PayPal message stating I was refunded by their parent company and in the notes it had the order number. Nice touch. 😐

After several weeks on backorder with no update, did your order get unceremoniously cancelled this morning with no explanation, like mine did? Sometimes Popmarket can be a real drag... for low prices and generally quick and efficient fulfillment when things are in stock and go well, you pay the price of it being a very transactional, faceless, zero customer-service kinda company and experience. I didn't even get a cancellation email from them, just a PayPal message stating I was refunded by their parent company and in the notes it had the order number. Nice touch. 😐
Yep, the exact same thing happened to me. I had to google the parent company's name, as I couldn't figure out what it was for lol.

Need photos of this shocking situation...
One of the windshields was off and the other had the top piece sheared off. Got those back on pretty darn convincingly but then... see that little silver fella on the left there? Center mounted rear view mirror. Didn't see that at first. That one's gonna be harder so I'm gonna need a lot of thoughts and prayers on that one, comrades.

IMG_1465.jpg

Unfortunately, my wife was in the kitchen eating lunch when I came back from the garage. Felt like I got caught stealing from the cookie jar. The smirk started to form on her face... "what... is... THAT..."

"No, it's not for (our 9 year old son). It's mine. Y'know, from my new box set."

I'm a grown-ass man.

Update: my box just arrived and the Red Barchetta is borked. Repeat: the Red Barchetta is borked.

Once I finally stopped sobbing (oh God, here I go again now as I type this) I took it out in the garage and epoxied the windows back on and I think they’re gonna hold. 🤞

😜
The horror. The horror.

Back