Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went thru this thread, has anyone run across an EV Stereo-4 matrix encoded CD (maybe a Project 3/Enoch Light title)?
I'm not confident,
“Beach Boys - Keepin' The Summer Alive”
I think it's like an EV. (Or maybe QS)

I'm not confident,
I'm not confident,
It may have been done with his Spazializer a think he invented it gives a good Surround effect with QS
If you look up old posts he said that Surf 's Up is not in EV4 even though it is on the LP.

I'm not confident,
There were several albums in the early days of quad that were encoded with the EV system. Ovation, Golden Crest, Project 3, Crewe, all released records in Stereo-4. The Beach Boys had two albums in EV, but the titles escape me. I have them, though. They were released on the Brother label, through Reprise.

I'm not confident,
The Beach Boys were using Dynaquad.

The record company made them take the quad info off the jacket after record stores put their albums in the Quadraphonic bin instead of with the Beach Boys albums.

The Beach Boys were using Dynaquad.

The record company made them take the quad info off the jacket after record stores put their albums in the Quadraphonic bin instead of with the Beach Boys albums.
It may have been done with his Spazializer a think he invented it gives a good Surround effect with QS
If you look up old posts he said that Surf 's Up is not in EV4 even though it is on the LP.
There is a post about the use of the "Spazializer" here someplace. The Beach Boys albums were not Dyna encoded but some tracks used the "Spazializer". As I recall the process was meant to provide a surround effect from stereo. The notes about dyna decoding (while effective) were not added by Stephen W. Desper who actually mixed the recordings.

The albums are "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up"

Stephen W. Desper
Stephen Wesley Desper
Profile:
Engineer. Stephen W. Desper, born on April 30, 1942, is the inventor of the Spatializer, an audio effect which employs psychoacoustic techniques that emulate three-dimensional ambience via traditional stereophonic units. He has also worked as Officer and Director in Spatializer Audio Laboratories Inc. The company was incorporated in 1994 and acquired by Ameri & Partners in 2015.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...t-sunflower-so-called-quad.22469/#post-307733

https://www.discogs.com/release/3739474-The-Free-Design-Kites-Are-Fun
This CD arrived today, listening now w/DPL2 music, seems to have more surround effect than the typical stereo content, no mention of Stereo-4 or quadraphonic on the packaging.

I may get out my old EVX-4 Stereo-4 decoder and see how this album sounds thru it.

Kirk Bayne
Most likely it's EV Stereo-4. Don't bother with the old EV decoder; the.PL2 decodes it properly, and with better separation.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3739474-The-Free-Design-Kites-Are-Fun
This CD arrived today, listening now w/DPL2 music, seems to have more surround effect than the typical stereo content, no mention of Stereo-4 or quadraphonic on the packaging.

I may get out my old EVX-4 Stereo-4 decoder and see how this album sounds thru it.

Kirk Bayne

Well no It wouldn't mention anything , as the quad vinyl record came with a paper sticker indicating new 4channel stereo.
16536145460907467823590787281258.jpg

There is a post about the use of the "Spazializer" here someplace. The Beach Boys albums were not Dyna encoded but some tracks used the "Spazializer". As I recall the process was meant to provide a surround effect from stereo. The notes about dyna decoding (while effective) were not added by Stephen W. Desper who actually mixed the recordings.

Yep those two. Just to be clear Surfs Up mentions encoded dynaquad compatible with EV-4 ,but that's all now been debunked by Desper.

As he explained to me it was an "adjustment to the cutting lathe" , somewhat of 45 degree angle. I suppose
that could give a warble effect (or phasey).

There were several albums in the early days of quad that were encoded with the EV system. Ovation, Golden Crest, Project 3, Crewe, all released records in Stereo-4. The Beach Boys had two albums in EV, but the titles escape me. I have them, though. They were released on the Brother label, through Reprise.

And Audio Spectrum albums (4 all told).
16536153330093332398286455438884.jpg

That's a weird but interesting explanation he provides. It predates quad !! , ...he says , "Virtual Surround".
And only requires two speakers........so provides an effect close to Binaural , but with 2 speakers.

Ron , This is what my Epic/Sony/Brother cassette says on the Surf's Up recording from the 80's.
(But of course since then Desper has given his Virtual Surround explanation ,re not quad)
20220526_221401.jpg

Back