HELP NEEDED; alternatives installing the ceiling speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, yeah, call me weak minded but I have succumbed to the ATMOS bug and planning to install it in my quite small room/studio but I have stumbled upon my landlord (can't blame him, though...) who does not approve of me making holes on the ceiling of this 1940s wood house...I was thinking something like the lighting rigs but maybe that will rattle quite a bit...
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I MAY have to contract a pro to do this for me cause I can't do this with my bad back, Ed....but still, any suggestions will be welcome...

So, yeah, call me weak minded but I have succumbed to the ATMOS bug and planning to install it in my quite small room/studio but I have stumbled upon my landlord (can't blame him, though...) who does not approve of me making holes on the ceiling of this 1940s wood house...I was thinking something like the lighting rigs but maybe that will rattle quite a bit...
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I MAY have to contract a pro to do this for me cause I can't do this with my bad back, Ed....but still, any suggestions will be welcome...

This is a studio that could not put speakers into ceiling.

Attachments

• ATMOS SET UP.jpg
    ATMOS SET UP.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 87
Any chance of some pics of that set up?
Sure, I think this pretty much captures it - you can see the Dôme speakers mounted on the ceiling; luckily I have access on both sides to crawl spaces and was able to fish the wires behind the drywall... but in a pinch you could use wire tracks, of course.

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

Sure, I think this pretty much captures it - you can see the Dôme speakers mounted on the ceiling; luckily I have access on both sides to crawl spaces and was able to fish the wires behind the drywall... but in a pinch you could use wire tracks, of course.

View attachment 79329
View attachment 79330
Wow, what a fantastic space! Arias all around? Just wonderful! Are you a guitar player? I just retired and picked mine up again after a 20 year hiatus.

Wow, what a fantastic space! Arias all around? Just wonderful! Are you a guitar player? I just retired and picked mine up again after a 20 year hiatus.
Ah, thank you! Yeah, it was a silver lining of the pandemic for me... was working in the attic enough that my wife finally said "hey, let me put all of my crafting and exercise stuff in the sunroom and you can have the attic; just do whatever you want up there."

Um... whatever I want? Voilà!

Yep - Aria 926's up front, 906's for the rears, a CC900 up front and the Dôme pair for heights. All Focal except the subs, which are a pair of JL Audio E110's. I've thought fleetingly about, y'know, since I can do whatever I want up here, whether I'd go fully bonkers and put in some kind of small side speakers and another set of heights to go full blown 7.2.4, but I'm having a hard time thinking that would make a big difference in a room this size... the 5.2.2 seems "right-sized" for the space, especially considering where the sweet spot needs to be and some of the placement limitations of the room and the construction, though in general I've been grateful that the compromises have been few.

And yeah, a guitar player... nowhere near as active as I once was, mainly due to the demands of the kids... but at some point I would like to get a little more excited for it by playing with other people again; all of my usual crew are in the thick of raising young-ish kids so it's hard to get together at all, let alone consistently to play music. That's fantastic you've picked yours up again after a hiatus—I imagine it feels good, right? Congrats on the retirement!

Yup, I'm guessing multi channel music sounds great in that room. Any favorites?

My family had been pestering me for years to play again but I was just too tired with job and life. Back in the day it was mostly folk and bluegrass but I promised myself to stretch and try to learn some Beatles and Pink Floyd. Holy crap...it's not like riding a bike! This stuff is a lot harder than it sounds, plus I don't have calluses yet so the pain level is still high. Not giving up though! What do you play?

Well, if nothing else there's a lot more help out these these days in the form of YouTube videos and plenty of other online resources... two apps that's I'd recommend are GuitarTuna (great, super handy tuning app) and Tabs, which is what I use if I'm feeling a certain song and just want to be able to quickly play it - super easy search with multiple options for tabs/music/etc. of different difficulty levels and degrees of detail; it's a really awesome resource and replaces my old school "campfire book" of scribbled out titles and chord progressions for songs I knew how to play!

If I'm not just playing an old favorite to knock some rust off, my other go-to when playing these days is to dial up a sound I like (or just grab an acoustic), then find a backing track on YouTube. There are a bunch of people out there with channels full of different styles in different keys:

...and you can just solo indefinitely with a band that never gets tired of your noodling. 😁 I've always been pretty stylistically agnostic, in my listening and my playing, so I've been in a number of different bands (on different instruments) playing all kinds of stuff.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Sir Duke

Unless the mix itself is duff, I can't think of too many things I haven't liked when listening up here... but yeah, I've developed a very specific playlist when bringing a newbie friend up here—blow their doors off first with the power of immersive listening, then do a little history, a little 5.1, back to quad, back to 3 channel... then hit 'em with a few various flavors of Atmos, and then see where we go from there. Lots of Tears for Fears, Gentle Giant, Kraftwerk, Nat King Cole, Bjork, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, etc., in that mix.

Back