Auro-3D Pure Audio / Dolby Atmos / 360 Reality Audio (physical media)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[EDIT: Forget what I said below about Atmos sometimes sounding "slightly off." I played the offending tracks in straight 5.1 and the tonal issues are still there...the 'crap' sound is in the multis.]

Now this disc would be a very interesting comparative title for Auro 3D vs Dolby Atmos. With Atmos, the sound quality of the limited number of titles that I own sometimes seems "slightly off" for lack of a better term. Perhaps a bit of midrange emphasis? Perhaps although I have bookshelf speakers in the ceiling, the tonal balance with the big floorstanding mains, surrounds and center aren't up to snuff? This wouldn't be surprising because my system sound quality went up substantially when I replaced the bookshelf size surrounds with floorstanders. Even my wife Mrs. "Boomboxes Are Good Enough" commented on the improvement in sound quality.

I don't have an Auro 3D title to compare to Atmos, but I never notice any tonal imbalance when upmixing stereo or quad to Auro 3D. Sometimes Dolby Surround is a bit too reverberant, but I never notice any total imbalance upmixing with that codec either. I never notice any tonal imbalances when upmixing a movie to Neural X or Dolby Surround. Weird.

(Anyone here have any suggestions on how to install 60 lb floorstanding speakers in the ceiling?)
LOL, your “voice of God” speaker could be the last thing you see before you meet your maker.

What album(s) are we talking about? Which tracks?

I'm embarrassed, Jonathan because I really should know better: Most of the tracks are those early Lennon / Plastic Ono Band ones such as Instant Karma et al.

But another track that surprised me is from Moby Reprise. It's the song Natural Blues which seems to have a DD-like sizzgrizzle to it. I actually fixed that problem by turning off Audacity and rolling off the height speakers high end with the graphic equalizer in my Marantz AVR.

ok, just sampled some more jazzmachine 24. Thing is I'm only listening in 5.1, so an actual Atmos or Auro -3D review by someone would sure be helpful.

I do believe I raised the rears about 2-3dbs on this one once ripped.

It just some really nice Acid Jazz/Smooth Jazz type stuff. My all time fav. Acid Jazz band is the outfit out of Chicago called "Liquid Soul" but they unfortunately don't have any surround out (up-mix work for me for futures I'm sure!)

One song on this 24 that had a real nice effect, was Passing By, with a Front Left channel Latin Percussion/snare/Horn section out of an old garage radio sound- moving to the right into the center channel, then moving right again into the Front Right channel with a tight Bass groove, and then back to the Center focus with opening vocals.

I'll rate this one about a 9.

It just some really nice Acid Jazz/Smooth Jazz type stuff. My all time fav. Acid Jazz band is the outfit out of Chicago called "Liquid Soul" but they unfortunately don't have any surround out (up-mix work for me for futures I'm sure!)

Just grabbed this one from the PureAudio website on the strength of your mentioning Liquid Soul—love me some of those guys! Liquid Soul and Groove Collective were my big go-tos for this kinda music when it was first hitting; Groove Collective were a lot easier to see for me being based on the East Coast. In fact, met Nappy G a few times and had lunch with him and the crew once based on the fact that Nickodemus (also great stuff: Nickodemus) collaborates with him often and is a close friend.

Got sucked down the PureAudio rabbit hole for sure though... bought 4 additional titles while I was there (🤑o_O) and pre-ordered 2 more than that. Yowza.

Just grabbed this one from the PureAudio website on the strength of your mentioning Liquid Soul—love me some of those guys! Liquid Soul and Groove Collective were my big go-tos for this kinda music when it was first hitting; Groove Collective were a lot easier to see for me being based on the East Coast. In fact, met Nappy G a few times and had lunch with him and the crew once based on the fact that Nickodemus (also great stuff: Nickodemus) collaborates with him often and is a close friend.

Got sucked down the PureAudio rabbit hole for sure though... bought 4 additional titles while I was there (🤑o_O) and pre-ordered 2 more than that. Yowza.
well, just to be clear Rusty, this ain't no "Liquid Soul" probably even a stretch for Acid Jazz; but a decent listen non the less IMO. And where else do we go for this style of music in surround (Groove Armada; close but no cigar.) I prefer the funky side of Acid Jazz as opposed to Hip-hop or the Smooth Jazz side.

So if you have any rec's for funky Acid Jazz style music in surround, I'd love to know?

Also, if you have an OO (aka- ohh ohhh ohhhh "Object Oriented") set-up, please get back to us with a review!

Also, if you have an OO (aka- ohh ohhh ohhhh "Object Oriented") set-up, please get back to us with a review!
I am indeed rocking the OO, and will report back when things start rolling in!

So when you say you’re into the funkier side of Acid Jazz, what artists are you referring to? That might help me make a recommendation or two…

But what immediately comes to mind when I think of funky in general, and maybe funk-jazz more specifically, would be stuff like Five Alarm Funk (recommended album: “Sweat”), Kneebody (“Anti-Hero”), Vulfpeck (“Thrill of the Arts”), Lettuce (“Crush”), Alfa Mist (“Antiphon”), Bonobo (“Black Sands”), Breakestra (“Hit the Floor”), Brooklyn Funk Essentials (“Cool and Steady and Easy”), Pimps of Joytime (“Third Wall Chronicles”), Mo’Fessionals (“Finally Over”), Brownout, The Budos Band, Forq, Mr. Scruff, Organ Freeman, Orgone…

So when you say you’re into the funkier side of Acid Jazz, what artists are you referring to? That might help me make a recommendation or two…

But what immediately comes to mind when I think of funky in general, and maybe funk-jazz more specifically, would be stuff like Five Alarm Funk (recommended album: “Sweat”), Kneebody (“Anti-Hero”), Vulfpeck (“Thrill of the Arts”), Lettuce (“Crush”), Alfa Mist (“Antiphon”), Bonobo (“Black Sands”), Breakestra (“Hit the Floor”), Brooklyn Funk Essentials (“Cool and Steady and Easy”), Pimps of Joytime (“Third Wall Chronicles”), Mo’Fessionals (“Finally Over”), Brownout, The Budos Band, Forq, Mr. Scruff, Organ Freeman, Orgone…

Second those Breakestra and Kneebody recs! (Esp. the earlier Kneebody albums.)

Hey really, beggars can't be choosers, anything approaching this style in "surround" (specifically?)

Booka Shade - Movements BD (Dolby Atmos)
*listening in 5.1

Movments - Booka Shade BD.jpg

What is Barely moon like?
This disc just arrived today... gotta say, for a surround disc on the PureAudio label, there's not much of anything going on apart from the front L/R/Center for the most part. Mainly just ambient reverb in the rears and heights (here and there a little percussion)—kinda surprising, although the recording is of course great and the material solid (I prefer the instrumental over the vocal but it's all good).

Edit: OK the last few songs do have more prominent drums in the rears. But for the first half to 3/4, what I said above holds.

Last edited:
JAZZ AMBASSADORS & SAMMY NESTICO
The Sammy Sessions

Just in, some great big band stuff in Pure Audio Blu-ray
*Sounds fabulous!!!

2.0 LPCM Stereo 24bit / 96kHz
5.1 DTS-HD MA 24bit / 96kHz
9.1 Auro-3D 24bit / 96kHz
Dolby Atmos

https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/product/jazz-ambassadors-the-sammy-sessions/
View attachment 77991
I have this Blu ray and have been listening to stereo, 5.1 and 3D mixes, unfortunately I am sure there is a major error. I do not know where it went wrong, maybe channel assignment, but the drums, mainly snare is in front left height channel and not right. I am positive it was supposed to be in right height as well. So you have drums in front channels, as normal, with hi hat on right side, as it should be. Snare, kick central, but then snare in overheads on left only. This not only sounds weird, it is very annoying to listen to. It makes it unbareable for me. It is for sure an error and can not be intentional. This is a tradegy. Great, immserive music, not the best mastering by any means, but would be fun if not for this error on blu ray.

Back