Music DVD Poll Portishead - Roseland New York

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Portishead - Roseland, New York"

• 10 - Superb Content, Mix & Production

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Forget it. Waste of Money

• Total voters
I have added this one as a prime example, IMHO, of exactly how not to do the job.
The content, in stereo, is great. Considering that, it's a real shame we are not bothered about this otherwise it would bea case of losing even more points for only including the stereo mix in Dobly Dirgital.
The main point here is the surround mix is dreadful to the point of pointless.
It's an upmix. Whatever way you look at it, this is poorly created. To be quite blunt, it is possibly one of the worst surround mixes I have ever heard in my entire life - and considering some of the Silverline output, that means this disc is bad - bad beyond the normal meaning of the word.
Which is a real shame, as I am a fan of this band and really wanted to like this disc. It's just got nothing going for it.

Note to Warners.
Why did you do this? If Stereo is the main aim, then considering this is supposedly a music title, why not use higher quality sound - LPCM.
There is no excuse for the upmixing though, as it puts every sound in exactly the wrong space. For example, in the opener, the scratching seems to totally dominate the entire mix in the fake surround, yet in the stereo it sits further back, as it should do. I could go on, but you know how bad this is when it's done wrong, so I don;t need to waste any more time on this turkey.

Appalling.
Avoid at all costs - except possibly at Xmas & thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Excellent band, excellent music but dreadful "5.1" mixing (no center channel through all the concert... what the f!!!)

Excellent band, excellent music but dreadful "5.1" mixing (no center channel through all the concert... what the f!!!)

You know, I thought I had done something wrong when I put the dvd in and heard nothing at all through the center....guess I didn't. I agree that the band is great, the stereo mix is just fine, but what the heck, I already have the cd and record and I didn't want another stereo mix.

Let's hope they get it right next time.
Cheers

I'm so disappointed Portishead never received a proper 5.1 surround treatment.

Even in Stereo you can tell each vocal and instrument was recorded on a separate track so there is absolutely no reason to not being able to create a pure 5.1 mix.

Not to mention they are, and Beth Gibbons, is the greatest band/singer ever!

I love Portishead, and although it's a great show, it's not a great show in surround. I haven't heard Kraftwerk's 3-D release in surround but the word on the web is that that's about as good as live concerts get when it comes to surround sound. Anyway, at least we have stereo :)

Back