Mills Logan Interview (Atmos Mixer)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
@MrSmithers turned me on to his work some time ago - he's responsible many of the best Atmos tracks on Apple/Tidal, including Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" and The Temptations' "Just My Imagination". I spoke with him for about an hour last Friday, really nice guy who definitely 'gets it' when it comes to surround music. Hope you guys find it interesting!
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...-grammy-award-winning-immersive-mix-engineer/

He did great job on Temptations

@MrSmithers turned me on to his work some time ago - he's responsible many of the best Atmos tracks on Apple/Tidal, including Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" and The Temptations' "Just My Imagination". I spoke with him for about an hour last Friday, really nice guy who definitely 'gets it' when it comes to surround music. Hope you guys find it interesting!
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/202...-grammy-award-winning-immersive-mix-engineer/
Fantastic job there Jonathan!

I also noticed his mixing was more “Spatially Balanced” when sampling the Apple Atmos music.

Do you know if that Glen Campbell he did is out yet?

I believe it’s important to note, that because he mentions that he uses a lot of “Objects” placements over the bed; that may not necessarily mean way up high into the ceiling type height, it can also be at the lower levels.

It was a little disappointing though that he wasn’t aware that Blu-ray handles Atmos.

(y) (y) :love:

Great interview, Jonathan! Smart questions, instructive answers. (And again, I'm impressed by the new look of the website.) Good to know who to credit for that fabulous Temptations mix. I'm not even a big fan of The Band, but I wish they would just upmix that missing track--or leave it in stereo--and let us hear the rest of that album. And I want to know what his favorite mix is that never got released!

Thanks Jonathan, I did enjoy reading the interview, specially when Mills says it has a 9.1.4 setup in his studio (wides) to more precise rendering positions, the same as I have in my room :cool: .

BTW, does the following question/answer explains our complaint about listening TIDAL Atmos at a lower level than regular Stereo?

"""""""
There’s also the fact that Dolby enforces a hard -18 LUFS level for Atmos submissions, so an Atmos mix rendered in binaural over headphones may be a better listening experience than regular stereo simply by virtue of there being more dynamic range.

Yeah, it seems like the loudness war is over. I love good compression as much as the next guy, but -18 has been a breath of fresh air after years of stereo mixes crushed down to -4 or -5 LUFS.
"""""""

Back