TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's talk audio surround on some of these recent new streaming shows.

The Star Wars shows like Obi-Wan Kenobi have some good immersive rears for me (I don't have Atmos / Heights) But as I'm totally absorbed into the story and visuals, I tend not to notice these all that much. Maybe they just have some basic ambience type stuff in the rears INS. I'll need to try and pay more attention to the audio in the next few shows.

Last night however, I caught the first two episodes of season 4 - Stranger Things; and man, that has some really punchy use of the rears IMO, but again need to pay more attention to the audio aspects for more detail.

Anyone else have opinions on these?

View attachment 79458

Went on a Stranger Things binge last friday, and they did a good use of the Atmos, however, being objective, I felt that the series could've been shrunk and there were so many long scenes and episodes that were fillers. The last episode is 1:40 hours long! corr blimey

EDIT: Loved that they featured Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" throughout the whole season. Kudos!

The OLD MAN | FX
June 16th
Jeff Bridges back in action...

That's an intense & captivating preview, indeed. Of course we all love Jeff Bridges haha his last movie I saw was R.I.P.D. Two thoughts go thru me head about The Old Man...

How many (too many!) action thrillers have to do with a Super Spy agent begrudgingly coming out of retirement for revenge? And does FX even count as a streaming service since it's part of basic cable like USA Network, The CW, etc?

But at least I can watch FX. I already have on my phone calendar. Thanks!

That's an intense & captivating preview, indeed. Of course we all love Jeff Bridges haha his last movie I saw was R.I.P.D. Two thoughts go thru me head about The Old Man...

How many (too many!) action thrillers have to do with a Super Spy agent begrudgingly coming out of retirement for revenge? And does FX even count as a streaming service since it's part of basic cable like USA Network, The CW, etc?

But at least I can watch FX. I already have on my phone calendar. Thanks!
I believe I have an FX app in my Apple TV 4K. I should come up with a list.

In that same vein of Super Spy revenge Action / Thrillers; I liked this one on Netflix
***er come to think of it, he may have been a ghost type Assassin dude.

POLAR
- Mads Mikkelsen

1653951770576.png

it's a real Chip turner...

lays chips.png

Last edited:
HBOmax has cancelled Raised By Wolves.

I'm actually not surprised, as I felt the series had lost its way; with a meandering feel, almost as if there was no long term focus to its story. It also just got as weird as hell at the end of season one and into the second season.

There's chatter about possibly moving the show somewhere else, but not sure I care personally.

1654481599741.png

Writers Jane Maggs, Jenny Lumet, and Alex Kurtzman; who penned Episode 6 "Changes" for the show "The Man Who Fell To Earth", did something amazing and had me watching a TV show with all the wonder of a 10 year old. It is pure genius.

If you haven't caught on to this show yet, I highly recommend it. I won't give any details about this episode, as I'd rather you experienced it for yourself, and hopefully catch some of that childish wonderment that I did.

Humanity is Jazz... and it is wonderful!

https://www.sho.com/video/78349/human-observation-field-notes-episode-6-official-clip

HYFI...

Anyone know anything about it? I didn't until just now when I read some ad mail. A search on QQ doesn't turn up anything.

What I can tell so far is it is a streaming service in 4K UHD centered on live musical performances. Some in real time live and then on demand later. It seems some are in surround but not all. Nothing in ATMOS or details on sound quality. Available in the Apple, Google store (yeah like I'd want to watch that on a phone or laptop). Also on ROKU so I guess there's a way to get it a bigger screen with better sound.

But I also can't find anything about subscription cost. So right now it's a mystery to me with a lot of potential.

Be aware that Hyfi is also a brand of surfboard, and a nick name for Hyper Finance investments. The one I'm talking about is : Hyfi | Watch Live Webcasts in 4K HDR

I Look forward to hear what others find about this service!

Well, my wife & I are organizing (and paying!) for a family vacation of 6 adults, 4 kids at Disney World. Found out we get $400 off of each our 3 rooms at All Star Movies hotel if we have Disney+. So now we have Disney +.

I don't know how long we will keep it but now I can check out some things that have been posted here. Today watched Muppet's Haunted Mansion. How's that for a great start? :LOL:

Anyways, this is on a new Samsung smart TV upstairs. Does anyone know if I can connect via PC on my good set up downstairs?

Well, my wife & I are organizing (and paying!) for a family vacation of 6 adults, 4 kids at Disney World. Found out we get $400 off of each our 3 rooms at All Star Movies hotel if we have Disney+. So now we have Disney +.

I don't know how long we will keep it but now I can check out some things that have been posted here. Today watched Muppet's Haunted Mansion. How's that for a great start? :LOL:

Anyways, this is on a new Samsung smart TV upstairs. Does anyone know if I can connect via PC on my good set up downstairs?
Have a great Vaca. SW! You will love Disney +!

Speaking of Disney +, watched Part 4 of Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi last night; and it seems like ol' Obi-Wan is starting to finally get some of his Jedi Cojones back. Lots of great action, albeit with only a running time of about 32 minutes long. Felt like it went by super fast, but satisfying nonetheless!

Have a great Vaca. SW! You will love Disney +!

Speaking of Disney +, watched Part 4 of Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi last night; and it seems like ol' Obi-Wan is starting to finally get some of his Jedi Cojones back. Lots of great action, albeit with only a running time of about 32 minutes long. Felt like it went by super fast, but satisfying nonetheless!

Enjoyed this episode the most of the 4 so far, but this series has been kind of a mixed bag for me. Definitely better than The Book of Boba Fett, but not nearly as consistently excellent as the Mandalorian, which reignited my love for Star Wars after all the awful prequels and sequels. Only two more episodes in the series too, hopefully they don't get any shorter in duration than this one or this series is going to feel really inconsequential!

DARK WINDS - AMC / AMC+
*Caught the first episode a couple nights ago, and enjoyed it.
The series follows two Navajo police officers, Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee, in the 1970s Southwest. The first season will be six episodes.

Watch Dark Winds Season 1 Online | AMC

View attachment 80350
I will have to watch this. When we cut our road trip short in Utah because my wife tested positive and felt sick with Covid, we drove back 12 hours to get home last Sunday, 4 gas stops, and one 30 min Burger King stop. We where on are way to S/W Colorado Mesa Verde, and on our way back we going to stay one night in Monument Valley at the Navajo Nation, I have been there before but not my wife, so if we watch this she can see what we missed.

Back