Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer is surprisingly complicated. The copyright in the musical compositions (aka the songs) is the same as the album, so 95 years from publication in the USA, 70 from release in the EU and most other places.
The actual audio on the other hand...it depends. If the radio station was just doing a live feed the audio doesn't get federal copyright protection if it's of that vintage. If a tape aircheck was being made simultaneously by the station (which they probably were) then it's 95 years from publication. Even if federal law doesn't apply, state "anti-bootlegging" laws may.
Now, didn't you want to know all that?
Sure it's good information. Thanks. Not worth the hassle!

I just wonder what deal YouTube struck that allows people to upload entire albums concerts whatever with a disclaimer " I do not own the copyright and will remove if requested". Something like that. I know they used to be super strict on that stuff.

My woodwork teacher (Mr. Marsten well over 6ft) would say to me (may be about 5ft then) "What are you boy?", "A Woodwork Butcher Sir", louder he'd go, so I'd go "A WOODWORK BUTCHER SIR" - I was!
I was equally hopeless. Mind you I blame my woodwork teacher who’s mantra of “measure twice, cut once” never seemed to help in any way. He was also a sadistic PE teacher. One year we had to do hockey (God knows why, I don't think I'd even heard of it!). In my end of term report he wrote “The boy would enjoy hockey more if he tried harder” but I knew that this was certainly not true and I’d just get hurt more (those stick things were wielded like clubs by the sporty lads)!!

Last edited:
I was equally hopeless. Mind you I blame my woodwork teacher who’s mantra of “measure twice, cut once” never seemed to help in any way. He was also a sadistic PE teacher. One year we had to do hockey (God knows why, I don't think I'd even heard of it!). In my end of term report he wrote “The boy would enjoy hockey more if he tried harder” but I knew that this was certainly not true and I’d just get hurt more (those stick things were wielded like clubs by the sporty lads)!!
We were allowed to play mixed hockey in the 4th/5th year (if I remember correctly), one of the most dangerous games out, the girls were lethal with a hockey stick, football shin pads weren't enough! More barging than Rugby. The two year 'idiots' (lads) had an argument and were hitting each other around the head with their hockey sticks, the PE mistress grabs them and starts banging their heads together yelling about how dangerous a hockey stick hit was to the head! :ROFLMAO:

The woodwork teacher also took us for cricket, I was useless at that as well, along with football, well any sport to be honest!

Figured I'd best post this here instead of in the "Cap Checker" thread.

Another one of my "bibles" I spent hours studying..

stereohifidir69.jpg

We were allowed to play mixed hockey in the 4th/5th year (if I remember correctly), one of the most dangerous games out, the girls were lethal with a hockey stick, football shin pads weren't enough! More barging than Rugby. The two year 'idiots' (lads) had an argument and were hitting each other around the head with their hockey sticks, the PE mistress grabs them and starts banging their heads together yelling about how dangerous a hockey stick hit was to the head! :ROFLMAO:

The woodwork teacher also took us for cricket, I was useless at that as well, along with football, well any sport to be honest!

...there were certain teachers..."How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

:D

Doug

The strange thing about school sports was I don’t remember the PE ‘teachers’ actually teaching us anything about the sports or how to play them. They never explained the rules. What’s silly mid-off or what does offside mean? No Idea. They just threw you onto the pitch and expected you to know what to do. If you didn’t, you just got shouted at. I soon learned that if you made yourself useful in some other part of school life (I used to do electrical stuff in the drama studios and theatre) you could easily wheedle your way out of PE. The PE teachers didn’t really want the non-sporty types lumbering about anyway so never put up a fight!

Sure it's good information. Thanks. Not worth the hassle!

I just wonder what deal YouTube struck that allows people to upload entire albums concerts whatever with a disclaimer " I do not own the copyright and will remove if requested". Something like that. I know they used to be super strict on that stuff.
Well, you asked...

Youtube uses something called Content ID to scan all material uploaded, it recognizes both the musical composition and the sound recording (usually, classical gives it problems). The content owner can choose to do nothing, demonetize, or disable access. The choice is usually to take a cut of ads and go along with things especially if owned by one of the majors. In practice, major content owners have deals already in place with Youtube and have access to the Content ID dashboard so they can see everything for themselves.

In other words, the majors cash in and the solo and small business entities (IE the musicians who own their own stuff) typically get screwed because they either get paid very little or nothing.

What you say on a video (fair use intended, I don't own it, etc) doesn't matter at all, except perhaps as evidence of intent. But as long as it has a copyright symbol somewhere it's presumptively intentional infringement, so...

Well, you asked...

Youtube uses something called Content ID to scan all material uploaded, it recognizes both the musical composition and the sound recording (usually, classical gives it problems). The content owner can choose to do nothing, demonetize, or disable access....
Very good! Thanks

Been waiting for Steven Wilson's book to arrive. It shipped from the UK via Royal Mail--> USPS, last update is from May 23 arriving to Chicago, and since then there's been no update...I'd think by now it'd be delivered already (it shipped on May 18).

So who cares anyway.....?
"High School" for me can be summed up in one word. Yuck! Had to take wood shop, (have one now, though) wouldn't let me take Algebra, no science except Biology (was/is a science geek). Had a small chemistry lab at home. Built solid fuel rockets, including the fuel (not gonna state ingredients in public) Quit school at 16 because I had to go to work.
Years pass/military, etc/more years and I take a full time "Industrial Electronics" course, DC stuff. Loved it, after worked as a QC troubleshooting boards. Hated the boss, an Air Force Lifer . Relocated to another part of the state. Eventually went to work in R & D at a rechargeable battery plant, I was sort of "the" metal hydride guy, had "my" own arc furnace and heat treating setup, etc. Worked under direction from various Phd's (none of whom could spell).
Test: Music is my (a)fort or (b)forte? Forte! Nope, forte is a musical expression. Ank! fail. lol.

Used a pc for first time, old Stride running P-Pascal OS that controlled my battery cycling eqpmt. But that was the start of my love of all things computer. Plant shut down due to foreign competition and I went back to school full time, got A+ cert, (I know, simple , right but I figured while I was there....Windows 2000 at the time...) Cisco network certs, but no jobs local.
Retired in 2011 after working as a "lab tech" for 8 years with coker noler. Built pc' s for others for a while...crimped terminals and sleeved psu wiring a while...resold mobo/OC'd cpu's....now just an old audio and pc geek I guess.
Skip back to early 70's, into Quad right off, just seemed to make sense to me...my friends not so much.
Live in a very rural environment. Don't vote the same as the general populace here.

So there's Boondocks in a very small nutshell. So who cares anyway.

Until my dad came out to have lunch one day I guess he was still disappointed, but that subsided when I bought a new car and my house in '78. He was a little awed at my place of employment at that time.

That FCC First Class Radiotelephone license I had plus all that studying I did of the audio and electronics magazines in the high school library impressed the service manager. I could talk that stuff, and he hired me on the spot when they were opening the Texas branch in '77. Not just a repair tech, but the QC department repair tech. Got to work on all the new stuff that failed QC.

The work bench I spent 4 years at... at good ol' "Pie in ear".

Old Polaroid pic.
View attachment 79555
I don’t have any photos of my time at Altec-Lansing in the early 70s, but I was an engineering tech there for a couple of years. I had done a little announcing at the campus radio stations at Washington State my first freshman year, and I had a 3rd class radiotelephone license for that. I eventually got my BSEE in ‘79, ten years late.

I don’t think my high school teachers were mean, just generally incompetent. My plane geometry teacher could have made sex education boring to a 17-year-old boy. I took algebra II in summer school, and the teacher didn’t get through the curriculum. And that electronics class? I remember the teacher trying to explain how the electrons moved in radio waves. Hint: they don’t.

Part of the reason I had three freshman years. 😡

Something I've been wondering about, do the folks here on this site that are Quadra... affecianados as far as LPs are concerned, do they rely on 70's era equipment, accessories and LPs to enjoy their Quadra... sound, or are there companies that provide new and updated components to play Quadra... LPs?

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 2.37.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Something I've been wondering about, do the folks here on this site that are Quadra... affecianados as far as LPs are concerned, do they rely on 70's era equipment, accessories and LPs to enjoy their Quadra... sound, or are there companies that provide new and updated components to play Quadra... LPs?

View attachment 79636
Just fire up the ol' Lafayette quad system!

lafayette4ch72.jpg

View attachment 79636
What is with this Quadra dot dot dot? If you've been hanging around here a while I'm sure you know Quaddies appreciate both old and new.

Last edited:
Just fire up the ol' Lafayette quad system!

View attachment 79638
I still have that catalog.

I actually built most of my quad equipment.

I built many RM-style decoders. Most of them need only a stereo amplifier and work with QS, DS, and any of the sum and difference matrix systems.

I even built an SQ decoder that needs only a stereo power amp.

I used pairs of preamps and power amps for material that needed them. This was the setup I used to try to get CD-4 to work. Of course it didn't.

I am now designing a cogging remover.

I sure remember that catalog with the big "4" on it. Unfortunately, all of my old Lafayette, Allied, Olson, and Radio Shack catalogs were lost when I moved away from home. My own fault for leaving them behind, I guess.

Doug

I built many RM-style decoders. Most of them need only a stereo amplifier and work with QS, DS, and any of the sum and difference matrix systems.

I remember the first time I tried using a passive matrix box might have been a Heathkit, with a JBL SE-400S stereo power amp (using a Dynaco PAT-4 preamp at the time) and 4 AR-3a speakers, 4 Ohms ea. First good bass lick and.... silence. Popped the main fuse and shorted two output transistors. It did not like that load! So I added a 2nd JBL amp I picked up used and got a different matrix box that would go between the preamp and the two power amps to cure that.

I used pairs of preamps and power amps for material that needed them. This was the setup I used to try to get CD-4 to work. Of course it didn't.

I had pretty good results with CD-4. The first demodulator I had wasn't so great, a Harman Kardon 44+. It would drop the carrier and give loud but brief noise bursts like an FM radio cutting out, which in a way is what it is X2.
Later got a Pioneer QD-240 demodulator that did not have that problem. Still have it, haven't hooked it up in years. Cartridge was (still is) a Pickering XUV-4500Q. The linear turntable I have now has a bit too much capacitance to meet spec, around 160 pF that I measured, but it worked fine really last time I had it set up.

Back