QS MATRIX , ITEMS OF INTEREST (Billboard 1972-1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy is not a fav. Who album for me, but does this version even have a Poll thread here?
https://www.discogs.com/The-London-Symphony-Orchestra-Tommy/release/773367I’ve got that as a stereo LP someplace.

Also, I really appreciate all the work and detailed info. you’ve shared on our forum fizzy, far more than my little pea brain will ever be able to digest. And yes I noticed when you were away from the forum, woodshedding it with your little green book! :)

You cite these Billboard articles, but what we need are links to see them. We don't all have a vast collection of them to thumb through to see these articles.

The World Radio History pages has pdf scans of Billboard magazine 1894> 2017. And thousands other magazines, catalogs, etc. Search by magazine name, year, month.

https://worldradiohistory.com/#B
Also when Fizzy has mentioned something like the QS-E4 encoder or some other piece of gear, a quick google finds lots of info. Haha much of it already here on QQ!

Tommy is not a fav. Who album for me, but does this version even have a Poll thread here?
https://www.discogs.com/The-London-Symphony-Orchestra-Tommy/release/773367I’ve got that as a stereo LP someplace.

Also, I really appreciate all the work and detailed info. you’ve shared on our forum fizzy, far more than my little pea brain will ever be able to digest. And yes I noticed when you were away from the forum, woodshedding it with your little green book! :)

I love the Tommy Polydor album myself , and I had the Tommy/LSO QS album on Ode and found the QS encode to be quite good on some tracks.
I mention this because it is rumoured that a cd version retains the QS of that The Who/ LSO Album.

PS Thanks for your compliment Pupsi . It is very much appreciated . Usually I just get more questions of source etc or some post in the negative. Hope more people such as yourself have the wherewithall to extend gratitude to people on QQ . People who try and supply information on quad , specifically matrix . You know I'm just trying to do my bit to help . There are a lot of newbies that need specifics on quad and where possible I think it's our duty as "old gits" who were there during the quad years to supply bits and pieces of what we know.
And I don't know everything regarding quad , but I've learned a lot on this site .
When it gets technical , I say whoa ...that's way over my head . Just lacking the physics/math , but in my defense it was FN boring , unless sufficient examples are provided.

Anyway thanks,

-Fizzy , (the olde scouser git)

You may have the error copy.

My copy has only reference to SQ , no QS whatsoever. And the recording and Studio team are very different.

FWIW Quad Incorporated reported these findings back in early 1980. According to the info Larry Clifton received from the Label they had at least four encoded in SQ , not QS . All final Candide editions.
Slap me in the head, I've recently taken a bunch of photographs on this very subject only to discover the mystery has "recently" been discussed! Anyway, I too had noticed the Candide QS and SQ switch when I picked up two LP's this fall that said SQ on the back cover blurb. It turns out I was only reminded because I'd already noticed (and forgot about) it: post elsewhere.

At first I thought that the switch might be connected to region of distribution because the two SQ copies I found were distributed from Canada, but then I found one in my existing collection that didn't fit that formula. Then I thought that maybe the year of manufacture might have determined the matrix system. The SQ's were recorded in 1977, and released in 1978 and 1979, but my "newest" QS was only recorded in 1976 and released in 1977. That sounds like the best bet based on the info Fizzywiggs cited. But not knowing that at the time, I also wondered if front cover art might be an additional indicator, but my Candide collection is too tiny to be sure. Early on (1974 releases) the front cover used the QS logo and proudly announced "Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible", by the time of my only 1976/77 release there was only scroll work on the front cover, and by 1977/78/79 there was nothing on the front cover. So, I don't have enough examples to point out any conclusive patterns in matrix use or cover art. It is interesting that the LP labels on the SQ releases don't say a word about quad, except on the one I have that actually used a QS label :rolleyes: !

Candide QCE 31083 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31083 rear cover A.jpg Candide QCE 31083 rear cover B.jpg
Candide QCE 31085 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31085 rear cover A.jpg Candide QCE 31085 rear cover B.jpg
Candide QCE 31097 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31097 rear cover.jpg
Candide QCE 31100 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31100 rear cover.jpg
Candide QCE 31103 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31103 rear cover.jpg Candide QCE 31103 the label.jpg
Candide QCE 31108 front cover.jpg Candide QCE 31108 rear cover.jpg

Last edited:
I would have thought that the SQ releases on Candide might have been sourced from European labels that Vox licensed the recording from. If vox had no access to the original discrete tapes, that would account for their releasing the LP in SQ.

I would have thought that the SQ releases on Candide might have been sourced from European labels that Vox licensed the recording from. If vox had no access to the original discrete tapes, that would account for their releasing the LP in SQ.

Jaybird ,

I think it more likely that the studio they were using acquired an SQ Encoder.(Sound 80 , Minneapolis)
By the latter 70's many quadraphonic recording studios had both Encoders (SQ ,QS) ,so they could satisfy customer preference.

Jaybird ,

I think it more likely that the studio they were using acquired an SQ Encoder.(Sound 80 , Minneapolis)
By the latter 70's many quadraphonic recording studios had both Encoders (SQ ,QS) ,so they could satisfy customer preference.
I doubt they'd switch directions that late in the game, considering the Vox group had been successfully using QS from the get-go. Since, by then, they were no longer producing quad recordings, they were looking at already-encoded recordings to finish the project.

Slap me in the head, I've recently taken a bunch of photographs on this very subject only to discover the mystery has "recently" been discussed! Anyway, I too had noticed the Candide QS and SQ switch when I picked up two LP's this fall that said SQ on the back cover blurb. It turns out I was only reminded because I'd already noticed (and forgot about) it: post elsewhere.

At first I thought that the switch might be connected to region of distribution because the two SQ copies I found were distributed from Canada, but then I found one in my existing collection that didn't fit that formula. Then I thought that maybe the year of manufacture might have determined the matrix system. The SQ's were recorded in 1977, and released in 1978 and 1979, but my "newest" QS was only recorded in 1976 and released in 1977. That sounds like the best bet based on the info Fizzywiggs cited. But not knowing that at the time, I also wondered if front cover art might be an additional indicator, but my Candide collection is too tiny to be sure. Early on (1974 releases) the front cover used the QS logo and proudly announced "Quadraphonic Stereo Compatible", by the time of my only 1976/77 release there was only scroll work on the front cover, and by 1977/78/79 there was nothing on the front cover. So, I don't have enough examples to point out any conclusive patterns in matrix use or cover art. It is interesting that the LP labels on the SQ releases don't say a word about quad, except on the one I have that actually used a QS label :rolleyes: !

View attachment 74927 View attachment 74928 View attachment 74929
View attachment 74930 View attachment 74931 View attachment 74932
View attachment 74933 View attachment 74934
View attachment 74935 View attachment 74936
View attachment 74937 View attachment 74938 View attachment 74939
View attachment 74940 View attachment 74941
was doing some research on discogs today, and found this listing of Candide titles in Quadraphonic; so are these actually SQ, QS or not Quad at all?

https://www.discogs.com/search/?type=all&label=Candide&format=QUADRAPHONIC
I was particularly interested in this title:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2656507-Elena-Polonska-La-Camerata-Harp-Music-From-The-Middle-Ages

was doing some research on discogs today, and found this listing of Candide titles in Quadraphonic; so are these actually SQ, QS or not Quad at all?

https://www.discogs.com/search/?type=all&label=Candide&format=QUADRAPHONIC
I was particularly interested in this title:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2656507-Elena-Polonska-La-Camerata-Harp-Music-From-The-Middle-Ages
Dude, you certainly have a crazy range of mainstream to ultra-esoteric interests. I mean funky blues music to J music to...Harp Music from the Middle Ages. I am in awe.

16543950003578455953671590402638.jpg
16543950722055097301748164017089.jpg
165439515881822728097666607916.jpg
16543953476305758406576938262130.jpg

These are the four SQ Candides listed in Quad Incorporated and the Quad supplement (blue pgs).
Also note corrections for pg 17 and 18 , QS to SQ. as per The Quad supplement.

And They will also be in the Quadraphonic Discography . 😀

Maybe it had something to do with CBS going to single inventory SQ encoded content in 1976, perhaps that influenced some of the labels to switch to SQ (from QS as discussed above or from CD-4 [Project 3]), thinking SQ would be the survivor.

Kirk Bayne

Maybe it had something to do with CBS going to single inventory SQ encoded content in 1976, perhaps that influenced some of the labels to switch to SQ (from QS as discussed above or from CD-4 [Project 3]), thinking SQ would be the survivor.

Kirk Bayne

Yep.... that could be .

Here we go again with Items of interest, this time 1977 ,78.

(JANUARY 29 1977 PG 69)
Sansui noted interest in Stereo Synthesis at the Winter CES and showed off a pair of hi-end Receivers.

(March 26 1977 pg 63)
The matrix is non specific on the following:
Sexisonic Speakers Ft Worth;, Radio Shack is developing a Sexisonic Sound Reproduction sound system that adds a center pair of speakers. Matrix programs would present basic source material through the Front pair, Ambient sound through the Rear channels , and "Concert Hall Realism" through the new Center channels .This would include live audience sounds indoors at clubs or arenas and outdoors at festivals or stadiums. The concept is still in the developmental stage , but technology for marketing a finished product is expected in the near future.

(June 18 1977 pg 55)
At the Summer CES , Sansui were showing off Top Of The Line Receivers (2) noted for playing the QS syndicated Lyric Opera in Chicago . Also Sansui QS is now heard on 208 Stations Nationwide .

Pg82
Features on QS encoded records : Ornette Coleman - Dancing In Your Head , Horizon SP 722 , cassette and 8 track ...Gene Russell- Listen Here , Ovation OV 1803 and Star Wars - Original Soundtrack , 20th Century 2T541.

(July 09 1977 pg 57)
Complete picture album listing of John Coltrane's Impulse/ABC albums , (includes QS albums)

(July 16 1977 pg 63)
OVATION FALLS IN , Chicago : Ovation Records has entered the 45 RPM Disco single field with the release of 2 cuts off of the Cleveland Eaton - Instant Hip lp (QS) . These are "Funky Cello" and "Mama Boogie Woogie".

(August 27 1977 pg 88&90)
Featuring 3 Quadraphonic QS albums from Ovation :
Willie Dixon - What Happened To My Blues OV 1705
Ron Steele - Everybody's Baby OV 1717
Calvin Keyes - Criss Cross OV 1804

(October 08 1977 pg 39)
Peter's International, QS Quads on Decca France (Sofrason) listings so far.

(November 05 1977 pg 69)
PENNSYLVANIA; The 3rd IUP HIFI STEREO EXPO , has a mini studio setup by Sansui to demonstrate it's component array Including the new AX-7 Mixer/Reverb . Henry Collins of The Frank Barth Agency , representing Sansui is at the controls recording "The Bliss Band" a local Disco group one of 17 Acts given finished demo tapes.
The AX-7 was used in conjunction with the GX -5 Pro Equipment Rack . Media promotion was on 4 FM outlets ,
WDVE , WYDD , WFEZ , Pittsburgh, and WIUP Indiana.

(December 10 1977 pg 63)
Ovation Records are to follow up the Country Music Kendalls - Heaven's Just A Sin Away , with a Bonnie Ferguson single .

(December 17 1977 pg 119)
Horizon Records
John Snyder has exited Horizon Records with Ed Michel , freelancer and A&R assistance.

(February 04 1978 pg 62)
Featured QS album review , Mark Gaddis - Carousel Man , Ovation OV 1720

(March 11 1978 pg 52)
At the Detroit Hifi Music Show , the Sansui Exhibit featured (pictured) Bonnie Ferguson , artist on Ovation Records .

(May 20 1978 pg 58)
At the annual AES , Sansui showed it's QSD-1 Pro QS 4Channel Decoder /Synthesizer .

Page 98
ABC RECORDS Brass , all got their walking papers a d 60 day notice .

(May 27 1978 pg 55)
Picture of an album with a new RM moniker. "Space Sound 4"
Japan : picture of album by Kenny Mofioka - Message From Space , on (W.P. Records) Watanabe Productions recorded in "Space Sound 4"

(June 03 1978 pg 67)
The Moss Music Group takes over the VOX, Turnabout, and Candide labels .
The entire catalog still remains.

(July 01 1978 pg 54)
Ed Michel and Alice Coltrane (pictured) , are in at the Berkley Studios recording her upcoming Warner Brothers 2 LP set .
In the interview Ed Michel says he's produced 400 albums and worked on another 400. He is now working for Fantasy Records on the Galaxy label and on John Snyder's Artists House record label.

(July 18 1978 pg 62)
"A Tribute To Ethel Waters" by Dihann Carrol and The Duke Ellington Orchestra , Orinda ORC-400 , has for an added bonus quad like Synthesis.
"Carrol's " My Man" is a dramatic presentation with excellent separation, evident on the track.
Review by : Stephen Traiman N Y./Aian Penchansky Chicago .

(November 04 1978 pg 64)
AES , Gold Awards presented to Ryosuke Itoh , Sansui Electronics Japan ,for engineering contributions to matrix quadraphony and development of the QS matrix system.

(November 25 1978 pg 56)
Shubert Festival: bows a preferred pressing on Turnabout Records . The recording in compatible QS Quad Stereo is distinguished by Concert Hall Naturalness , by now the hallmark of the Elite Recording team which
Produces the sessions for Turnabout . Thomas Schippers - Shubert's Symphony # 9 (1976).

End

Kirk Bayne
What's interesting is that we're seeing whatever new matrixed quad releases using a form of RM (QS compatible), rather than SQ; Quark or Involve, for example.

Yes, in one email to me several years ago, Richard Brice (of Pspatial Audio) mentioned that he recommended the QS matrix for use in what has become the Quark surround sound production system.

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/the-unlikely-return-of-quadraphonic-vinyl
(also, QS is more compatible than SQ when using DPL2 music for decoding)

Kirk Bayne
QS is also more compatible for stereo playback, and loses less when listening in mono, as on some older car radios.

Back