Integrating a SM V.3 into an existing 5.1 system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezzalavell

QQ Supporter
Hey Chaps based upon the fact that 99.9 % of you are Hardware smarter than me I thought , I thought about asking the all knowing oracle for advice . So...
I have heard you guys all rave about the ability of the above to upmix to 4.0 / 4.1 / 5.1 from stereo . I thought I'd take the plunge ( when they're available :))
Firstly .... Do you guys think a purchase is worthwhile for stereo input only ( I have no quad equipment or requirement) ? I currently pan my quasi stereo to surround with Adobe . Quite happy with my results.
If you think SM is stellar with stereo to surround my problem is ensuring I can integrate it into my existing Sony STR 1080 without major problems ?
I rip all my music to flac HDD so I am currently using the USB input.
So the $64K question can I switch my RX to output stereo from the USB HDD input to the input of the SM (connect via phonos to RX speaker outputs ) and ensure I have disengaged the RX internally so it does not provide source material to the speaker connections. Or am I talking Boll**ks!
Sorry for the long winded question but I don't want to fork out ÂŁ500 for Nowt!

Thankyou in advance

Hey Chaps based upon the fact that 99.9 % of you are Hardware smarter than me I thought , I thought about asking the all knowing oracle for advice . So...
I have heard you guys all rave about the ability of the above to upmix to 4.0 / 4.1 / 5.1 from stereo . I thought I'd take the plunge ( when they're available :))
Firstly .... Do you guys think a purchase is worthwhile for stereo input only ( I have no quad equipment or requirement) ? I currently pan my quasi stereo to surround with Adobe . Quite happy with my results.
If you think SM is stellar with stereo to surround my problem is ensuring I can integrate it into my existing Sony STR 1080 without major problems ?
I rip all my music to flac HDD so I am currently using the USB input.
So the $64K question can I switch my RX to output stereo from the USB HDD input to the input of the SM (connect via phonos to RX speaker outputs ) and ensure I have disengaged the RX internally so it does not provide source material to the speaker connections. Or am I talking Boll**ks!
Sorry for the long winded question but I don't want to fork out ÂŁ500 for Nowt!

Thankyou in advance

Good news & bad news. Yes you can take your source from the HDD USB and output it on zone 2 analog to the Surround Master. If you read through the thread about "stuff that sounds amazing on the Surround Master" you will find much of the commentary having to do with stereo playback. As my vintage quad decoders started to fail and Dolby PL II failed to impress I too did a lot of upmixing in Adobe Audition. Not since the arrival of my SM v2. Good 'ol AA still comes in handy doing what I call pre-synth in stereo, as the SM lacks the classic Sansui stereo Synthesizer function.

At any rate, here is the bad news. All 3 models of the Surround Master only has RCA analog out. You must have a receiver with MCH analog inputs to be able to use it. Your Sony only has HDMI. So no go.

And to answer your next probable question: Nope, no, nada does anyone make a MCH analog in / HDMI out convertor.

Good news & bad news. Yes you can take your source from the HDD USB and output it on zone 2 analog to the Surround Master. If you read through the thread about "stuff that sounds amazing on the Surround Master" you will find much of the commentary having to do with stereo playback. As my vintage quad decoders started to fail and Dolby PL II failed to impress I too did a lot of upmixing in Adobe Audition. Not since the arrival of my SM v2. Good 'ol AA still comes in handy doing what I call pre-synth in stereo, as the SM lacks the classic Sansui stereo Synthesizer function.

At any rate, here is the bad news. All 3 models of the Surround Master only has RCA analog out. You must have a receiver with MCH analog inputs to be able to use it. Your Sony only has HDMI. So no go.

And to answer your next probable question: Nope, no, nada does anyone make a MCH analog in / HDMI out convertor.
Thx for the quick response . Yeah I thought I could use Zone 2 but I thought there might be a way of switching out zone 1 and just using RCA phono connections from the SM to my RX speaker out connections ( where my speaker wires are) . Did'nt really want to roll out my old but
beautiful Sony STR DAV 555 . Damn :cry:

Thx for the quick response . Yeah I thought I could use Zone 2 but I thought there might be a way of switching out zone 1 and just using RCA phono connections from the SM to my RX speaker out connections ( where my speaker wires are) . Did'nt really want to roll out my old but
beautiful Sony STR DAV 555 . Damn :cry:
You're also correct on the analogue 5.1 to HDMI converter . Don't exist

Back